The Student Room Group

A level Chemistry

I need help with an question I don’t understand why then converted the volume to m3 when it was already in dm3

A gas cylinder has a gas volume of 9.39 dm3
The gas cylinder holds 1.69kg of a gas at a pressure of 1.37 x 10^7 Pa at 20•c
Determine the molar mass and possible identity of the gas

Can some one explain how to do this question I know what to do I just don’t get why they converted the volume when it didn’t need it
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ilayda 1234
I need help with an question I don’t understand why then converted the volume to m3 when it was already in dm3

A gas cylinder has a gas volume of 9.39 dm3
The gas cylinder holds 1.69kg of a gas at a pressure of 1.37 x 10^7 Pa at 20•c
Determine the molar mass and possible identity of the gas

Can some one explain how to do this question I know what to do I just don’t get why they converted the volume when it didn’t need it

This sounds like a question related to PV=nRT, where the V=volume in m3, so you have to convert the volume from dm3 to m3. This is the only reason I can think of.

Hope this helps!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Sheepwool
This sounds like a question related to PV=nRT, where the V=volume in m3, so you have to convert the volume from dm3 to m3. This is the only reason I can think of.

Hope this helps!

But don’t you normally use the volume in dm3 and they only converted the volume nothing else
Reply 3
But don’t you normally use the volume in dm3 and they only converted the volume nothing else

PV=nRT only works when the volume is in m3, really strange but this is the correct measurement to use. You just need to convert it.
Reply 4
oh in school they told us to always convert it to dm3

(Original post by Sheepwool)PV=nRT only works when the volume is in m3, really strange but this is the correct measurement to use. You just need to convert it.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
oh in school they told us to always convert it to dm3

(Original post by Sheepwool)PV=nRT only works when the volume is in m3, really strange but this is the correct measurement to use. You just need to convert it.

m3 is the SI unit of volume
https://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/kt/idealgases.html
The equation PV = nRT must have coherent units to be valid.

The posters above are all correct, but to clarify it all:

In schools we usually use volume in dm3 and pressure in kPa.

However if we represent the pressure in Pa the volume must be represented in m3

PV must be constant. So if one unit is multiplied by 1000 the other must be divided by 1000.

We could also represent volume in cm3 and the pressure in MPa, for instance.

Quick Reply

Latest