The Student Room Group

Tree diagram help

Can someone please start me off ImageUploadedByStudent Room1482335231.632506.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
you started off OK. this is without replacement...
Reply 2
Carry on the tree diagram, but do it as if there are 5 cards to choose from the second time, not 6 as you've already picked one.
Reply 3
Original post by ARiazz
Carry on the tree diagram, but do it as if there are 5 cards to choose from the second time, not 6 as you've already picked one.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1482335543.881249.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Ok, so you started off with AAABBC as the 6 cards, you got the first bit right.
For the second part, you have to calculate the probabilities after each card has been picked.
So when A was picked as one card, the second card could be out of AABBC (one of the As are gone). So the second probability for A is 2/5, not 1/5.
When B is picked first, you're left with AAABC, and when C is picked first, you're left with AAABB.
Reply 5
Original post by ARiazz
Ok, so you started off with AAABBC as the 6 cards, you got the first bit right.
For the second part, you have to calculate the probabilities after each card has been picked.
So when A was picked as one card, the second card could be out of AABBC (one of the As are gone). So the second probability for A is 2/5, not 1/5.
When B is picked first, you're left with AAABC, and when C is picked first, you're left with AAABB.

That's what I wrote didn't I?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by z_o_e
That's what I wrote didn't I?

Posted from TSR Mobile

after choosing A, you're left with AABBC for the second choice. So you got the 2/5 bit for A right. However, the probability of picking B will be 2/5 and C 1/5 after picking A. I'm sure you can do the rest now.
Reply 7
Original post by ARiazz
after choosing A, you're left with AABBC for the second choice. So you got the 2/5 bit for A right. However, the probability of picking B will be 2/5 and C 1/5 after picking A. I'm sure you can do the rest now.

oooooh. This is what I did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by z_o_e
oooooh. This is what I did

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's right.
All is left is to calculate the total probability when 2 different cards are picked. Multiply along the branches of the diagram and add up the probabilities across.

Quick Reply

Latest