The Student Room Group

should i apply to medicine this year?

hello
I have just finished my ucat and I didn't do well at all. i got 2150 band 3 and I think this was mainly due to my procastination. However, I have received very good predicted grades, which are AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Can I still apply to any medical schools or is my ucat too low for this year?

Thank you
Original post by aspiring_med1
hello
I have just finished my ucat and I didn't do well at all. i got 2150 band 3 and I think this was mainly due to my procastination. However, I have received very good predicted grades, which are AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Can I still apply to any medical schools or is my ucat too low for this year?

Thank you

unfortunately that ucat is too low for any ucat unis. you could try the bmat.
Original post by reubenn05
unfortunately that ucat is too low for any ucat unis. you could try the bmat.

so i cant apply to any ucat unis at all this year??
so i cant apply to any ucat unis at all this year??

well you could apply, but you would likely get rejected
well you could apply, but you would likely get rejected

oh okay one question are you a med student??
oh okay one question are you a med student??

no, i'm a y13 applying this year
no, i'm a y13 applying this year

same, what unis are you going to apply to?
same, what unis are you going to apply to?

newcastle, uea, aston and hyms
newcastle, uea, aston and hyms

damn newcastle?! how did you do on your ucat?
damn newcastle?! how did you do on your ucat?

2910 band 2
2910 band 2

well done mate! you mind giving me tips for the ucat in case i have to resit it next year? i would really appreciate it
well done mate! you mind giving me tips for the ucat in case i have to resit it next year? i would really appreciate it

thanks!! vr - official resources were closest to the actual ucat for me, so i'd prioritise using them. make sure to do all the t/f/ct questions as you can get through these ones quicker. skim read the text to find the relevant paragraph and speed read that paragraph to get the info. practise speed reading news articles.
dm - identify the question types you struggle with and do extra practice with these, for syllogisms you could try doing flowcharts or venn diagrams, learn how to do the probability questions e.g. by using tree diagrams
qr - practise using a num pad, it's much quicker than using the top row of numbers. as long as you know all of the maths concepts, do timed practice only, as timing is the biggest constraint in qr imo.
ar - look for the simplest box, note down all the patterns you get wrong, perhaps make flashcards with them, again do timed practice
personally i started preparing consistently 2 months in advance, around 200 questions each day, making sure to review all the questions afterwards, and i did all of the mocks and mini mocks on medify - they're the best practice you can get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending