The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to agree with what Synergetic has just said, particularly with regards to his first paragraph :wink: :biggrin:
Synergetic
English kids these days....:rolleyes:
Although he still looks like a kid, he's 27 now :eek:
re: his opinion that NO Croatian player would get into the England team and that England players don't so much lack ability and technique but lack mental strength .
i can hardly believe he's serious.
Reply 1583
It's not as bad as you guys are making out. I think, at most, 3 players would get into the England team. This is assuming everyone was fit, and not the England team that played Croatia at Wembley.

When they're all fit, our back four (Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole) are untouchable. Gerrard and Hargreaves in the middle, I'd put Jole Cole on the right and Krancjar on the left. I'd probably rather stick with J.Cole on the left and Becks on the right, but that depends. Upfront Rooney and Owen/Crouch/Defoe/ or you might replace one of the latter with Eduardo, though he didn't do much either, save for that one assist, in the match.

I don't know much about Croatia's goalkeeper, but i would have felt very confident if we had James between the posts. Hopefully, by the time the World Cup comes around Foster, Carson and Green will be very good goalkeepers and we won't have a problem in that department.

I can see Owen's point, and we make the point ourselves every 5 minutes on TSR; we have good individuals a crap team. Sort it out, Capello.
I agree with Laevis. If we had a full team I cant see any Croatian players getting in our starting lineup.
Reply 1585
That group's a right laugh. It seems that we're the top seed in that... in theory, of course. We just need a manager to make it reality. We should top that bloody group.
Ronaldo VII
I agree with Laevis. If we had a full team I cant see any Croatian players getting in our starting lineup.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. People overstate individualism when it's a team sport. If we went by line-ups alone, Chelsea would have won the quad by now.
NDGAARONDI
I've said this before and I'll say it again. People overstate individualism when it's a team sport. If we went by line-ups alone, Chelsea would have won the quad by now.

Thats why we need someone to make them into a team, and I think you are overstating your lineup lol.
Ronaldo VII
Thats why we need someone to make them into a team, and I think you are overstating your lineup lol.

Nope. Most people would say our line up is superior to yours. Last season, only position you win outright is right-back and right midfield. If you think van der Sar, Evra, Brown, Fletcher, O'Shea, Saha are as good as Cech, Carvalho, Terry, Essien, Makelele and Drogba then I'll have a pint of what you've been drinking. Only Yanited players who'd make the Chelsea line up for sure would be Ronaldo and Rooney.
Reply 1589
NDGAARONDI

But when we're dealing with the question "How many Croatian players would get into the England team" then obviously we're going to have to look at individualism and particular individual ability to see which particular individuals would make it into the England team. We can't answer that question by looking at the team as a whole.
**** this individualism ****. Croatia are a better team than England, full-stop, that's all that matters. Owen should accept this and stop being a sour bastard, a sore loser. It's all about the team. Good heavens. :rolleyes:
Reply 1591
white_haired_wizard
**** this individualism ****. Croatia are a better team than England, full-stop, that's all that matters. Owen should accept this and stop being a sour bastard, a sore loser. It's all about the team. Good heavens. :rolleyes:

It might help if you tried to understand what was being said before you began your little rants :yy:

How on earth is Owen saying England have better individuals in any way a refusal to accept that Croatia are a better team? :rolleyes:
NDGAARONDI
Nope. Most people would say our line up is superior to yours. Last season, only position you win outright is right-back and right midfield. If you think van der Sar, Evra, Brown, Fletcher, O'Shea, Saha are as good as Cech, Carvalho, Terry, Essien, Makelele and Drogba then I'll have a pint of what you've been drinking. Only Yanited players who'd make the Chelsea line up for sure would be Ronaldo and Rooney.

Lol. Joker. Since Cole joined Chelsea, Evra has been better. Ferdinand/Vidic have a claim. Malouda hasn't exactly set the league alight. In a 4-4-2 Rooney would get in.

Cech, Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Evra, Ronaldo, Scholes, Essien, Giggs, Drogba, Rooney is what I would go with. There are a few similar in positions but that is my team. I did it at the cup final and it worked out 6/5 in favour of United.
lol at Giggs but otherwise youre about right
Economist
lol at Giggs but otherwise youre about right

Yea that posistion was dodgy. Giggs hasn't been consistent this season but when he is on form he is still fantastic, as shown against Blackburn. Malouda hasn't done much and Nani is inconsistent.
Alex > Ferdinand. Scholes was good last year but he won't make your mixed line up this season.
Laevis
It might help if you tried to understand what was being said before you began your little rants :yy:

How on earth is Owen saying England have better individuals in any way a refusal to accept that Croatia are a better team? :rolleyes:

He said no Croatian player would get into the English team. The English TEAM. Football is a team sport, not an individual sport like tennis or badminton singles. I think quite a few Croatian players, if slotted into a current English side, would improve the England team. They seemed to have much better technique, composure and skill on the ball, than their English opponents. We've not been a possession team for years and years.

Owen was saying it's not an ability or technique thing which explains why England were beaten and generally why they didn't qualify for the European Champs, but because of mental strength and lack of it. I disagree. The reason why we've won **** all since 1966 is because players are not good enough, they've evidently not had enough technique and ability. I guess they also lack mental strength because they know they lack the technique and ability. Forget this lacking in mental strength *******s. Their lacking in mental strength is down to the fact that they're not actually that great as a team, as individuals successfully gelling together. The EPL is largely only as good as it is, because of the foreign players in the league. Maybe the foreigners in the EPL also make the best English players in the top flight, appear (much) better than they actually are...and when these perceived top players play alongside more mediocre players when it comes to England, this inflated perception of their talent gets exposed...??

"little rants" - it was one rant. And i don't rant, it's not in my nature. If you ventured into the Arsenal thread you'd see a few ranters, but not I.

anyway, i'm ****ing tired and can't be arsed with this. We're dull, we don't gel as a team and there's been WAYYYY too much meddling over the years, with regards to squad personnel etc...no way to engineer a stability, equilibrium in a side. I understand the Croatian squad have been together for quite some time, and you can see the end result.
That said, their managers don't last as long as you think.
white_haired_wizard

Owen was saying it's not an ability or technique thing which explains why England were beaten and generally why they didn't qualify for the European Champs, but because of mental strength and lack of it. I disagree. The reason why we've won **** all since 1966 is because players are not good enough, they've evidently not had enough technique and ability. I guess they also lack mental strength because they know they lack the technique and ability. Forget this lacking in mental strength *******s. Their lacking in mental strength is down to the fact that they're not actually that great as a team, as individuals successfully gelling together. The EPL is largely only as good as it is, because of the foreign players in the league. Maybe the foreigners in the EPL also make the best English players in the top flight, appear (much) better than they actually are...and when these perceived top players play alongside more mediocre players when it comes to England, this inflated perception of their talent gets exposed...??

Agree. The people who say we have a world class individual team are deluded.
Reply 1599
@ WHW

Generally, a very good argument :yy: Touche.

However, if these Croatian players aren't better than England's players per se, but are only better when you put them into the framework of a team i.e. they have a better understanding, better teamwork, better composure, better link up play etc then England don't need a few Croatian players to slot into their team to make it stronger, but for a World Class coach to tutor and coach them to be able to play better as a team; to teach them how to play under pressure; to work the ball; to keep the right shape rather than have 10 men in the box etc

That's where England go wrong and need to be dealt with; the individuals themselves, i don't think, aren't as much as the problem.

Latest