The Student Room Group

Curves on graphs

IMG_0849.JPG.jpg
Hi, im really struggling with this question, please could someone answer with a detailed explanation?:smile:
Thanks! (please see attached image)
Reply 1
Original post by razzy02
IMG_0849.JPG.jpg
Hi, im really struggling with this question, please could someone answer with a detailed explanation?:smile:

Well, let us know what you've tried already so we know what part you don't understand :h:
Original post by razzy02
IMG_0849.JPG.jpg

a) y=mx+c where m is the gradient just rearrange. in that form.
Reply 3
Original post by junayd1998
a) y=mx+c where m is the gradient just rearrange. in that form.

This doesn't actually work for this question, this is due to the question to having an x2 x^{2} in the equation instead of an x x like you suggested.

This can actually be seen from the curve itself, it has a changing gradient unlike a straight line. So this means that differentiation is required to find the gradient at a specific point :h:

EDIT: But this specific question doesn't even require the use of calculus. See post below :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KaylaB
This doesn't actually work for this question, this is due to the question to having an x2 x^{2} in the equation instead of an x x like you suggested.Without differentiation: if a (smooth) curve has a maximum/minimum value, the gradient there must be 0.

I don't know the GCSE syllabus well enough to know if this is what they're expecting, but since they say "write down" I think that's what they're after here.

The 2nd part (gradient at x=2) cannot be found like this but the question makes it clear that you're expected to do this by estimation.

I don't think you're supposed to use calculus for this question at all.
Reply 5
Original post by DFranklin
Without differentiation: if a (smooth) curve has a maximum/minimum value, the gradient there must be 0.

I don't know the GCSE syllabus well enough to know if this is what they're expecting, but since they say "write down" I think that's what they're after here.

The 2nd part (gradient at x=2) cannot be found like this but the question makes it clear that you're expected to do this by estimation.

I don't think you're supposed to use calculus for this question at all.

Oops! I didn't actually see that the maximum point was actually at x = 0, as I just skimmed over the question :rolleyes:
Apologies for over-complicating the matter :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest