Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain this to me? I did FD= F/CW and am wrong. Any ideas?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  525.2 KB
    [attach]6.153886153906154e+23[/attach]
    Attached Images

• TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJA1994)
    Can someone explain this to me? I did FD= F/CW and am wrong. Any ideas?
    Can you please give more detail?

Is this 7a? Did you draw a histogram and it was different to the solution? Where is your attempt? Why did you post 3 pictures showing the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Can you please give more detail?

Is this 7a? Did you draw a histogram and it was different to the solution? Where is your attempt? Why did you post 3 pictures showing the same thing?
    It wasn't deliberate. I kept uploading pics and it said failed so I tried to re upload and then this happened. So it's a mistake. Yes 7a) my attempt was a histogram with FD values of 5,10,4,110,75 and 1.6. I used the FD=f/cw
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't deliberate. I kept uploading pics and it said failed so I tried to re upload and then this happened. So it's a mistake. Yes 7a) my attempt was a histogram with FD values of 5,10,4,110,75 and 1.6. I used the FD=f/cw
    The solution looks wrong to me.

Looking at the table, the 18-18.5 class clearly has a bigger density than the 18.5-20 class.

ReputationRep:
    The solution looks wrong to me.

Looking at the table, the 18-18.5 class clearly has a bigger density than the 18.5-20 class.
    That's what I thought but the back of the book has the same solution too so it's really thrown me. I thought perhaps I wasn't considering the K value. Trouble is I don't know when to assume the k value isn't 1?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought but the back of the book has the same solution too so it's really thrown me. I thought perhaps I wasn't considering the K value. Trouble is I don't know when to assume the k value isn't 1?
    I considered this but whatever the scaling, the 18-18.5 group has a bigger density than the 18.5-20 class so it has to be a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I considered this but whatever the scaling, the 18-18.5 group has a bigger density than the 18.5-20 class so it has to be a mistake.
    Could you explain the k constant please? Also how would I know when it isn't 1?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I can see a couple of things wrong with this "histogram". First, the vertical scale is marked 0 / 25 / 30 / 35 etc. On a linear scale, the first value should be 20 not 0 (or 0 is correct and the rest of it is wrong). Second, if we ignore the vertical scale markings and just think of the vertical scale graduated in "small squares", it looks as though frequency (not frequency density) has been plotted, with one unit of frequency mapped to one square vertically.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old_engineer)
    I can see a couple of things wrong with this "histogram". First, the vertical scale is marked 0 / 25 / 30 / 35 etc. On a linear scale, the first value should be 20 not 0 (or 0 is correct and the rest of it is wrong). Second, if we ignore the vertical scale markings and just think of the vertical scale graduated in "small squares", it looks as though frequency (not frequency density) has been plotted, with one unit of frequency mapped to one square vertically.
    Good spot. That's a pretty bad error for a Solutionbank.

ReputationRep:
    FD = k times x. Make sure you have accounted for a constant as this is really important.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    FD = k times x. Make sure you have accounted for a constant as this is really important.
    What is x?

ReputationRep:
    Well that should be class width.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    How would I know when k is not 1?

ReputationRep:
    Good spot. That's a pretty bad error for a Solutionbank.
    It's the back of book answer also so I was sure maybe I was wrong. Couldn't imagine both were wrong
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Could you explain the k constant please? Also how would I know when it isn't 1?
    Thanks in advance.
    I haven't done S1 in a while so I won't be able to tell you when you should be using / expecting to see scaling in a histogram.

Hopefully someone who is doing/teaching S1 now can help?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.