The Student Room Group

whats the best math route to become a hedge fund manager?

So after some thought I have realized that i have a moral duty to do everything in my power to put my intelligence to good use and make as much money as humanely possibly to help starving people in Africa if I work really hard throughout my entire life I can probably get close to at least 9 figures which could save and help tens of thousands of lives. This is what I want to do with my life and I feel my best chance is to either use a lot of math and statistics to make a killing on the stock market and investments, or for one of my business ideas to take of all of which are based on using a lot of math and statistics as well.

I may very well end up on my own doing all this by myself but obviously working for a hedge fund where I can put my own money get a salary and get significant bonuses which I can put into a portfolio repetitively will be the best strategy if i can get in. However I may well end up never been employed and can make good money myself so want to have the best skill set to go it alone if need be.

So the impression I got is the MORSE degree at Warwick will give me the best training for this, is that true or would a Maths degree from Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial give me better training?

I have to go to the place which will equip me best to do this.

I am been serious this is what I want to do with my life I have decided. so now I know what is the best course for this?
This thread is as retarded as your dissonance towards the real world
If this post is serious, and I highly doubt it is, then the universities that you have listed would certainly open doors.
Original post by Luke7456
So after some thought I have realized that i have a moral duty to do everything in my power to put my intelligence to good use and make as much money as humanely possibly to help starving people in Africa if I work really hard throughout my entire life I can probably get close to at least 9 figures which could save and help tens of thousands of lives. This is what I want to do with my life and I feel my best chance is to either use a lot of math and statistics to make a killing on the stock market and investments, or for one of my business ideas to take of all of which are based on using a lot of math and statistics as well.

I may very well end up on my own doing all this by myself but obviously working for a hedge fund where I can put my own money get a salary and get significant bonuses which I can put into a portfolio repetitively will be the best strategy if i can get in. However I may well end up never been employed and can make good money myself so want to have the best skill set to go it alone if need be.

So the impression I got is the MORSE degree at Warwick will give me the best training for this, is that true or would a Maths degree from Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial give me better training?

I have to go to the place which will equip me best to do this.

I am been serious this is what I want to do with my life I have decided. so now I know what is the best course for this?

i'm not reading your post content bc its usually pointless to do so.

aim for any of the COWI departments (or at worst a top 10-15 department). Do well. Apply to internships at quant funds and prop shops.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by glebp
This thread is as retarded as your dissonance towards the real world

Yeah not sure I should take the advice of someone who thinks the adverts for binary options trading are a good source. Mind you, you did not provide any advice you just needlessly insulted me so that is even more useless.

Original post by Wienerwald
If this post is serious, and I highly doubt it is, then the universities that you have listed would certainly open doors.

yeah can see why you would think this but I am been serious I like to think with very hard work I could get to near the top of the profession, and with large bonuses and reinvesting my bonuses and most of salary hopefully I can pull of major success.

I just want to know what the absolute best course is eg is Cambridge better for this or is Warwick the better option? I know that may sound stupid because obviously Cambridge is a better university then Warwick but Warwick seems to have a lot of decent modules, and seems to have more module options then I have seen anywhere else. I cant seem to find the full list of module options for Cambridge or Oxford. However Warwick apparently let you take extra credits 150 in the first year and 180 in the second third and fourth years which in theory means you do 210 extra credits through the degree and masters. Would Cambridge or Oxford allow you to do extra credits? does this mean I could cover more ground at Warwick?
Reply 5
Do maths at one of the target unis and apply for internships at hedge funds and banks in quantaitive positions like quantitative analyst/quant trader/derivs trading/strategy
Reply 6
Yeah not sure I should take the advice of someone who thinks the adverts for binary options trading are a good source. Mind you, you did not provide any advice you just needlessly insulted me so that is even more useless.

yeah can see why you would think this but I am been serious I like to think with very hard work I could get to near the top of the profession, and with large bonuses and reinvesting my bonuses and most of salary hopefully I can pull of major success.

I just want to know what the absolute best course is eg is Cambridge better for this or is Warwick the better option? I know that may sound stupid because obviously Cambridge is a better university then Warwick but Warwick seems to have a lot of decent modules, and seems to have more module options then I have seen anywhere else. I cant seem to find the full list of module options for Cambridge or Oxford. However Warwick apparently let you take extra credits 150 in the first year and 180 in the second third and fourth years which in theory means you do 210 extra credits through the degree and masters. Would Cambridge or Oxford allow you to do extra credits? does this mean I could cover more ground at Warwick?

You can never go wrong with a Cambridge maths degree. You can do everything in finance with it, including quant trading, quant analysis, strategy, exotic derivatives trading, everything quantitative. Cambridge is targeted more by some prop firms and hedge funds at the undergraduate level.
Reply 7
Original post by Trapz99
You can never go wrong with a Cambridge maths degree. You can do everything in finance with it, including quant trading, quant analysis, strategy, exotic derivatives trading, everything quantitative. Cambridge is targeted more by some prop firms and hedge funds at the undergraduate level.

cool thanks for the advice I guess I should try to get a place at Oxford or Cambridge. The problem is though I likely wont get offered a place at COWI I mean I can get the grades with hard work but getting the offer is the challenging part.

I know Warwick have a reputation for making a lot of offers however I have a feeling that this wont be the case for 2018 entry.

I don't know if anyone has noticed yet but Warwick have changed the entry requirements for Math its now A*A*A plus grade 1 in Step no longer grade 2. and you can no longer take AEA as a route in.

I might be able to get onto there MORSE course but not sure if that will have the same prospects for hedge funds etc.

is COWI the only target universities for this? Could I get away with say Nottingham Bath Bristol or Durham?
Reply 8
cool thanks for the advice I guess I should try to get a place at Oxford or Cambridge. The problem is though I likely wont get offered a place at COWI I mean I can get the grades with hard work but getting the offer is the challenging part.

I know Warwick have a reputation for making a lot of offers however I have a feeling that this wont be the case for 2018 entry.

I don't know if anyone has noticed yet but Warwick have changed the entry requirements for Math its now A*A*A plus grade 1 in Step no longer grade 2. and you can no longer take AEA as a route in.

I might be able to get onto there MORSE course but not sure if that will have the same prospects for hedge funds etc.

is COWI the only target universities for this? Could I get away with say Nottingham Bath Bristol or Durham?

I think it would be a lot easier for quant trading and quant related stuff if you go to COWI. For stuff like derivatives trading you would be fine with those unis. You could probably have a chance with Notts, bath, Bristol for quant trading as well but it would be easier if you went to COWI since they have better maths courses.

Cambridge or Oxford is a slightly better choice. I have seen one person doing maths at Oxbridge who managed to get an internship at Blackrock after their first year of undergraduate studies. You also need to be a proficient user of a few programming languages to consider becoming a quant, but that is rather obvious.
Reply 10
Original post by Wienerwald
Cambridge or Oxford is a slightly better choice. I have seen one person doing maths at Oxbridge who managed to get an internship at Blackrock after their first year of undergraduate studies. You also need to be a proficient user of a few programming languages to consider becoming a quant, but that is rather obvious.

Yeah I will be applying in 2018 most likely I mean unless Warwick or Imperial are in adjustment and take me. The likelihood is though that even with perfect exam results they wont because I Will not have STEP grades.

so assuming I have a gap year which seems likely my plan would be to potentially pursue the first year of the open university computing and IT degree. then potentially complete a few modules in the summer for the final 240 credits, as I go along. or maybe not I have not looked into it properly yet this is just a vague idea in my head at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending