The Student Room Group

Assistant Psychology Roles

Hi!

So I have just finished MSc conversion degree, still awaiting results, after doing a BA in Philosophy. I currently also work as a Healthcare assistant in an in-patient mental health hospital. I was just wondering, with my MSc and hopefully experience as a HCA, will that be enough to get a role as an Assistant Psychologist? Im currently researching roles in the NHS however all of them have the essential 'undergraduate in psychology' which as i said, i dont have.

This is making me feel really disheartened, so i was just wondering if this was a valid route or if i have to give up my dreams?

Many thanks in advance for any advice
Original post by APinterested
Hi!

So I have just finished MSc conversion degree, still awaiting results, after doing a BA in Philosophy. I currently also work as a Healthcare assistant in an in-patient mental health hospital. I was just wondering, with my MSc and hopefully experience as a HCA, will that be enough to get a role as an Assistant Psychologist? Im currently researching roles in the NHS however all of them have the essential 'undergraduate in psychology' which as i said, i dont have.

This is making me feel really disheartened, so i was just wondering if this was a valid route or if i have to give up my dreams?

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Hello!

l am assuming your MSc conversion degree is in psychology? If that's the case then great! as long as your course was BPS accredited.

With that being said, your experience as a HCA is definitely valuable. Be sure to state in your supporting statements, the transferable skills you have gained and how this will allow you to effectively work as an AP. HCA, support worker roles etc, are some of the common routes people have taken to successfully gain a AP role (if i'm not mistaken).

The only thing is, AP roles are extremely competitive, and I've learnt that there are many other routes to psychology than being an AP.

Considering your goals and how long you are willing to wait, you can apply for the Trainee Clinical Associate apprenticeship which starts at band 5 and moves to 6 upon completion. This is a year long course which is funded and requires you to work and complete a masters in clinical psychology. However, with the changes to HEE this would mean that you would have to wait two years post qualification before applying to further funded training i.e the doctorate.

There are other roles such as the Trainee Graduate Mental Health worker which is lesser pay (band 3) but is a year long course, again studying and gives you that valuable experience. Hope that helps :]
Reply 2
Hi! So I have had a conversation with one of the Psychology Heads, and they did not recommend undertaking a clinical associate course in psychology because they tend to be used and invested into for individuals who wish to remain at that level. I plan on going onto to do a DClin, and i really dont want to waste the resources for another individual who would want to undertake that course!

I will further look into other routes on getting onto a DClin but from what I have read, Assistant Psychologist is the recommended route!

Thank you for your reply!
Yes, you can apply for AP roles with your conversion course to Psychology as long as it was BPS accredited :smile: No need to give up your dream!

PsychologyLoverr's posts has some great stuff, and I just want to stress out that there are many different routes you can take for the same goal in psychology. As long as your degree is BPS accredited and you manage to build up relevant experience, you should be able to get into a DClinPsy!
Oh and I forgot to link this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2447036
This thread is manned by Lord Asriel, who if I got my info right, is the forum's resident clinical psychologist, so a great place to ask any questions you might have regarding how to become a clinical psychologist :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by APinterested
Hi! So I have had a conversation with one of the Psychology Heads, and they did not recommend undertaking a clinical associate course in psychology because they tend to be used and invested into for individuals who wish to remain at that level. I plan on going onto to do a DClin, and i really dont want to waste the resources for another individual who would want to undertake that course!

I will further look into other routes on getting onto a DClin but from what I have read, Assistant Psychologist is the recommended route!

Thank you for your reply!

That makes sense!

No worries all the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest