The Student Room Group

19, no qualifications, or gcses/work experience what should i do?

I just dont know what to do anymore.... ive been sitting at home doing nothing for about 2 years and im 19... i want to get a apprenticeship but i dont know what kind? i feel my self slowly losing myself at home, could anyone help me?
trap trap trap till you die
Reply 2
lol :/
Original post by martinsmor
I just dont know what to do anymore.... ive been sitting at home doing nothing for about 2 years and im 19... i want to get a apprenticeship but i dont know what kind? i feel my self slowly losing myself at home, could anyone help me?

How do you have no GCSEs?
Reply 4

You need to think about what kind of thing you want to do. Even if it's just a general area, it will give you something to work towards. You also need to think about what skills and qqualifications you have already.
Quite a lot of my friends are in the same position, baring in mind they're around 23/24. Take the next couple of months to see what catches your eye, maybe try and get some kind of job in the mean time. Small progress is still progress
Reply 6
Original post by cherryred90s
How do you have no GCSEs?

Failed school
Reply 7
Key Skills may be your best choice, you can probably gain access to these qualifications through the job centre (I assume you've been signing on/working?)
With Key skills you'll have a basic level qualification to at least start working on an apprenticeship, albeit quite a low level one.

Speak to local training providers, they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Even I have gcse's.

You can always get them you know. Or do b-tec. Dunno what's stopping you.

Before I got them I did blue collar work. And those are jobs you honestly get just by walking up and saying "need help?"
Don't let this get you down! You need to have a think about all your different options and what you would like to do - because there's so many apprenticeships out there you can do,

If it helps to inspire you, have a look at what apprenticeships are available at the moment. Have a read of the job descriptions and you might start to get an idea of what sound more appealing to you:
http://schoolleavers.milkround.com/jobs/

You can also read up on the different sectors you can get in to, which might help you get a better understanding of a starting career you would like:
http://advice.milkround.com/sectors
Yes, I do suggest you enrol on a course to get basic GCSEs. I advise at least doing GCSE Maths, GCSE English Language, GCSE Double Science (if it exists) and a GCSE in whatever interests you.

Then look to find apprenticeships or apply for further education. Don't lose hope OP! You still have a lot of time!
What did you end up doing ?
Volunteer work is always something you could consider, it shows employers that you're willing to work hard and gain experience, if you find a field you're interested in and research companies asking to volunteer or do work experience it can help to kickstart your career :smile:

Start and get some gcses. Then apply for an apprentiship
Reply 14
You can go to college and retake maths ns English GCSE. make a CV and get a part time job say you have experience with looking after neighbours and you worked with family in a shop or something. Don't worry there is still hope. You, cns do HIGHER ACCES COURSE, which is for adults where you don't have to pay loan. You may need to pay now for college becauas your 9. Call around make an effort don't sit there. Googlee up. You Can retake privately but you will have to pay I did that and its £150 per exam subject. Worth it if you want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending