The Student Room Group

Failed my gcses

I received my results today and failed everything. The only subject that I passed was English which was 5,5 (Language and Literature). I thought I was going to cry at school smh. The careers advisor at my school told me I would have to retake Maths too. Everyone else I knew passed and did well while I was the only one who failed. I attended one of my sixth form enrollment sessions (this sixth form was my first choice) and the staff who checked my results said I couldn't go to the sixth form and said my grades were too low. It felt humiliating being rejected in the face, but what can you do. So anyways, am I screwed for life now?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Beg them...If you failed your GCSEs and were intended to go to colledge I would reconsider for you actually want to or can actually do colledge workI would recommend doing a course we're alvls arent involved ( like a btec') and work on gaining Ur GCSE maths and English
Original post by Lofinde00
I received my results today and failed everything. The only subject that I passed was English which was 5,5 (Language and Literature). I thought I was going to cry at school smh. The careers advisor at my school told me I would have to retake Maths too. Everyone else I knew passed and did well while I was the only one who failed. I attended one of my sixth form enrollment sessions (this sixth form was my first choice) and the staff who checked my results said I couldn't go to the sixth form and said my grades were too low. It felt humiliating being rejected in the face, but what can you do. So anyways, am I screwed for life now?

Hi there.

Sorry to hear this. :frown: Just because you didn't pass your GCSEs first time does not mean you can't be successful in life. There are other options however resitting maths (and possibly science) would help open more doors. @Muttley79 could advise further. :smile:

Getting a 5,5 in English is a great achievement so I hope you are happy with that at least.
Take care and best wishes. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
I received my results today and failed everything. The only subject that I passed was English which was 5,5 (Language and Literature). I thought I was going to cry at school smh. The careers advisor at my school told me I would have to retake Maths too. Everyone else I knew passed and did wellwhile I was the only one who failed. I attended one of my sixth form enrollment sessions (this sixth form was my first choice) and the staff who checked my results said I couldn't go to the sixth form and said my grades were too low. It felt humiliating being rejected in the face, but what can you do. So anyways, am I screwed for life now?

@Lofinde00
I struggled a lot at school with my GCSE's and many years later I've ended up with a Masters degree. I've been teaching for nearly 10 years and some of my best students (training to be nurses) did not get their GCSE in maths in particular on their first go.

If you are re-sitting your maths it might be best doing something like a BTEC Level 2 alongside it.

You can do it!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Sorry to hear you 'failed' - remember FAIL = first attempt in learning :smile:

Did you get Us or just numbers lower than a '4'? Seek out a coolege where you can resit Maths and take at least two other GCSEs so you have a basic core of subjects.

This is not the end of the world even though it might feel like it :smile:
My daughter only had 3 GCSE’s above a 4 when she left school. She too was looking to go on to sixth form at the same school. Instead she went to college, re-took Maths GCSE, got her English re-marked and excelled at BTEC. She’s just graduated from university with a first class honours.

Her GCSE results day was one of the worst days of her (and my) life as she was so devastated, but in hindsight it was the best thing that could have happened as it set her on a more appropriate course in life.

GCSE’s for many can become a memory test and that isn’t for everyone. As I say to all my children life isn’t a race and there is no straight path. Things will work out if you can look at this with a positive stance and re-group with a slightly adjusted route.

This does not define you. You can succeed in life!
Reply 6
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Sorry to hear this. :frown: Just because you didn't pass your GCSEs first time does not mean you can't be successful in life. There are other options however resitting maths (and possibly science) would help open more doors. @Muttley79 could advise further. :smile:

Getting a 5,5 in English is a great achievement so I hope you are happy with that at least.
Take care and best wishes. :smile:

Original post by Arden University
@Lofinde00
I struggled a lot at school with my GCSE's and many years later I've ended up with a Masters degree. I've been teaching for nearly 10 years and some of my best students (training to be nurses) did not get their GCSE in maths in particular on their first go.

If you are re-sitting your maths it might be best doing something like a BTEC Level 2 alongside it.

You can do it!

Marc

I'm currently doing a level 2 alongside gcse resit I feel like my life's a failure l, what are the next steps I should take? I initially wanted to go uni in the future

I had failed my GCSEs maths, and everyone in my class had passed apart from 3 other people. Once I took the exam the next year I didn't achieve a grade 4, but months later I took the higher tier maths and ended up with a good grade. Don't worry, you have 4 opportunities to pass and you can do it believe in yourself.
Original post by Random_user211
Don't worry, you have 4 opportunities to pass and you can do it believe in yourself.

Anybody can take GCSEs at any stage in their life for an unlimited number of times (limited only by finances), so the OP has far more than 4 opportunities to pass.
Reply 9
I had failed my GCSEs maths, and everyone in my class had passed apart from 3 other people. Once I took the exam the next year I didn't achieve a grade 4, but months later I took the higher tier maths and ended up with a good grade. Don't worry, you have 4 opportunities to pass and you can do it believe in yourself.

I'm doing a level 2 course alongside a gcse resit. Next year when I'm 17 I want to go to a sixth form to do a btec level 3 would this be possible??
Original post by A_2275
I'm currently doing a level 2 alongside gcse resit I feel like my life's a failure l, what are the next steps I should take? I initially wanted to go uni in the future

@A_2275
If you are re-sitting your GCSE's and you are nearly 19 then perhaps an Access to HE course might be the right program for you.

I teach on Access and our students typically have to wait for a year before starting to re-sit either their GCSE English, Maths and or Science before signing up.

Access to HE is a fast-track program which gets people into University, it is like 2 years of A levels squeezed into one. Most centre's do programs in Engineering, Social Sciences, Nursing, Business, Computing, and there are others out there like Primary Teaching. For most you will just need English and Maths at Level 2, but Nursing and Midwifery requires the GCSE's.

Another alternative would be to perhaps do an apprenticeship - if you haven't got GCSE English and Maths when you start, they will typically enrol you on a program to do them

Marc
Original post by A_2275
I'm doing a level 2 course alongside a gcse resit. Next year when I'm 17 I want to go to a sixth form to do a btec level 3 would this be possible??

Yes it is possible. You can get into level 3 Btec as I remember the requirements are if you either pass English/maths or fail either one of them you can still get onto the course. It will also depend on the sixth form what their grade boundaries are as well.
Reply 12
@A_2275
If you are re-sitting your GCSE's and you are nearly 19 then perhaps an Access to HE course might be the right program for you.

I teach on Access and our students typically have to wait for a year before starting to re-sit either their GCSE English, Maths and or Science before signing up.

Access to HE is a fast-track program which gets people into University, it is like 2 years of A levels squeezed into one. Most centre's do programs in Engineering, Social Sciences, Nursing, Business, Computing, and there are others out there like Primary Teaching. For most you will just need English and Maths at Level 2, but Nursing and Midwifery requires the GCSE's.

Another alternative would be to perhaps do an apprenticeship - if you haven't got GCSE English and Maths when you start, they will typically enrol you on a program to do them

Marc

Thanks alot for the reply Marc! I am currently a 16 years old doing a level 2 and I'm worried and concerned if I would be able to go to another sixth form and do a level 3 btec next year at 17 is this late is starting university at 19 bad as its a year later than others?
Reply 13
Yes it is possible. You can get into level 3 Btec as I remember the requirements are if you either pass English/maths or fail either one of them you can still get onto the course. It will also depend on the sixth form what their grade boundaries are as

Thanks alot for the reply! Will the btec level 3 get me into university without doubt?
Original post by A_2275
Thanks alot for the reply Marc! I am currently a 16 years old doing a level 2 and I'm worried and concerned if I would be able to go to another sixth form and do a level 3 btec next year at 17 is this late is starting university at 19 bad as its a year later than others?

Hi, I just wanted to reply to that last part. No, it's not bad to start uni at 19, a year later than others, as plenty of people take gap years and I've heard that nobody knows (or cares) how old you are unless they explicitly ask you. :smile: Best of luck with everything!
Original post by A_2275
Thanks alot for the reply! Will the btec level 3 get me into university without doubt?

Yes, you can get into university with the level 3 btec.
Original post by A_2275

@A_2275
I went to University at 21 and had a wonderful time and made lots of friends - ended up with a 1st class BA Hons Sociology degree too. Any extra life experience and maturity will really help

Marc
Reply 17
@A_2275
I went to University at 21 and had a wonderful time and made lots of friends - ended up with a 1st class BA Hons Sociology degree too. Any extra life experience and maturity will really help

Marc

Wow that's amazing, thanks alot Marc this really cooled down my worries and stress
Original post by A_2275
Wow that's amazing, thanks alot Marc this really cooled down my worries and stress

@A_2275
Glad to hear it, everyone has a different route in life. I teach on an Access to HE program and some of my learners don't go to University until they are in their late 20's and early 30's. Focus on your own progression and keep an eye on the next step

Marc
Reply 19
@Arden University
Hey there!
I don’t know what seems to be the issue but I don’t understand why it would take this long to receive a reply from Arden? It’s like they don’t want new students?
Please get back to me with a solution for this as it is so discouraging.

Quick Reply

Latest