The Student Room Group

Help with getting into a vet degree

I am currently studying animal management level 3 btec, which i switched to from alevels as my previous college was impacting my mental health due to the students so i dropped out; i thought that animal management would help me to achieve my dream degree (veterinary science & medicine), so i will be finishing my btec course when i am 19 years old. My GCSES were not amazing as i got very sick/hospitalized just weeks before, i got 5s in chem bio physics and math, and a 6 in english, and so i didnt get into alevel chem and bio like i hoped i would. I was just wondering, since most universities do not accept level 3 btec, or if they do its a lot harder to get in since its very competitive, what do i do to get into veterinary science? Im currently aiming at D*DD in the btec course, and i have done work experience on a farm, an animal therapy place and will be doing experience at a vets next year. I will have done 300 hours in total of work experience with animals, which i think should help. Ive been looking at gateway courses but im not sure if i still need to redo alevels or gcse, if so im not sure how to do this. Just looking for advice on how to get my dream degree haha. Also not sure where to post this..
Original post by ellieellie18
I am currently studying animal management level 3 btec, which i switched to from alevels as my previous college was impacting my mental health due to the students so i dropped out; i thought that animal management would help me to achieve my dream degree (veterinary science & medicine), so i will be finishing my btec course when i am 19 years old. My GCSES were not amazing as i got very sick/hospitalized just weeks before, i got 5s in chem bio physics and math, and a 6 in english, and so i didnt get into alevel chem and bio like i hoped i would. I was just wondering, since most universities do not accept level 3 btec, or if they do its a lot harder to get in since its very competitive, what do i do to get into veterinary science? Im currently aiming at D*DD in the btec course, and i have done work experience on a farm, an animal therapy place and will be doing experience at a vets next year. I will have done 300 hours in total of work experience with animals, which i think should help. Ive been looking at gateway courses but im not sure if i still need to redo alevels or gcse, if so im not sure how to do this. Just looking for advice on how to get my dream degree haha. Also not sure where to post this..
Hiya, I’m an alternative qualifications student too. I never did my a levels and did the level 3 animal management (triple D* result) and then vet nursing diploma. Even with working in veterinary for 10 years, getting in wasn’t so straight forward, nor easy.

Unfortunately you won’t meet the requirement for most of the courses. So I would recommend you write down all the vet schools and their entry requirements for both 5 and 6 year courses. Some you’ll be able to rule out immediately due to not doing a level (both Scottish unis for instance).

To be able to get on a course, I would recommend you resit your GCSES. Depends on whether you want to aim for a 5 year or 6 year course, 5 you’ll need 7’s, 6 year you’ll need 6’s. Another consideration is whether an Access to HE course might be of benefit, but once again, only certain unis accept this so you’ll have to check each uni’s requirement.

You might qualify for some foundation years like UClan or Harper (HKVS). I’m having to do the harper foundation year because of not having GCSE chemistry and my RVN qualification being a diploma and not a degree. But these foundation years are highly competitive - there’s 10 places at harper.

You might not start uni as early as you like or want, but getting your GCSE grades will really help with your application, as unfortunately you’ll probably be screened out immediately if you don’t meet the basic academic requirement. But a starting point would be listing all uni’s and what they need then go from there.

P.s. don’t do a degree to get on to vet med. it’s very expensive as you won’t get funding for a second degree and doesn’t always mean you’ll 100% get a place when you apply after the degree
Reply 2
Hi, i was the same grades wise. have a look at access to HE courses. that is what i am currently doing. its 1 year course. and i have vet school offers so its working haha
Original post by oliviaparisx
Hiya, I’m an alternative qualifications student too. I never did my a levels and did the level 3 animal management (triple D* result) and then vet nursing diploma. Even with working in veterinary for 10 years, getting in wasn’t so straight forward, nor easy.
Unfortunately you won’t meet the requirement for most of the courses. So I would recommend you write down all the vet schools and their entry requirements for both 5 and 6 year courses. Some you’ll be able to rule out immediately due to not doing a level (both Scottish unis for instance).
To be able to get on a course, I would recommend you resit your GCSES. Depends on whether you want to aim for a 5 year or 6 year course, 5 you’ll need 7’s, 6 year you’ll need 6’s. Another consideration is whether an Access to HE course might be of benefit, but once again, only certain unis accept this so you’ll have to check each uni’s requirement.
You might qualify for some foundation years like UClan or Harper (HKVS). I’m having to do the harper foundation year because of not having GCSE chemistry and my RVN qualification being a diploma and not a degree. But these foundation years are highly competitive - there’s 10 places at harper.
You might not start uni as early as you like or want, but getting your GCSE grades will really help with your application, as unfortunately you’ll probably be screened out immediately if you don’t meet the basic academic requirement. But a starting point would be listing all uni’s and what they need then go from there.
P.s. don’t do a degree to get on to vet med. it’s very expensive as you won’t get funding for a second degree and doesn’t always mean you’ll 100% get a place when you apply after the degree

Sorry this might sound really silly, but how would i go about resitting gcses? Are there only online courses available? My college only does english and math gcse lessons
Sorry this might sound really silly, but how would i go about resitting gcses? Are there only online courses available? My college only does english and math gcse lessons
Google local exam centres for your area and check what exam boards they offer for the exams, so they’re the same as what you’ve sat previously
Reply 5
hey i am currently failing school can you still study animal managment
Original post by kianb123

yes definitely, you can resit english and maths if needed and can very likely go into level 1 with no gcses even! I’m in level 3 and resitting maths lol
Original post by kianb123

yep! you would start on the foundation learning year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending