The Student Room Group

Aspirin Intermediate Reaction Help

Hello everyone!

I'm analysing an aspirin synthesis process, where I am using salicylic acid and acetic anhydride to produce the acetylsalicylic acid.
Since I am supposed to show my full understanding of the reaction, I am showing the intermediate steps and products, as well as the overall net reaction.

For my essay, I used the diagram from this website:
http://chemskills.com/?q=aspirin (the second one, to be exact)

Since there is little explanation of it, I tried to describe and explain what's happening myself.
The first thing that occurs is protonation, as the hydrogen ion dissociated from the acid and attaches itself to an oxygen from the acetic anhydride. A positive charge on the molecule allows for the salicylic acid to react with the anhydride, creating a resonance structure (what is its name, and what exactly do these three arrows mean?). Then, the molecule dissociates, forming acetylsacilylic acid and acetic acid, and the hydrogen ion returns back to the catalyst.

I am not quite sure about the statement I've written in bold. I have not done any organic chemistry before, and I've self-taught myself bits of the material. Any help and hints would be appreciated!
(edited 7 years ago)
The first thing that occurs is protonation (Correct, protonating the anhydride is an important step to make sure that the alcohol group is nucleophillic enough for the reaction to proceed well), as the hydrogen ion dissociated from the acid and attaches itself to an oxygen from the acetic anhydride (You don't need to say this part. Technically, the acid is already dissociated as it is in a solution of water, and at A-Level the expectation is that you understand acids like sulfuric or phosphoric acid are strong acids-fully dissociated in water. While the main solvent here isn't water, mixing up those ideas doesn't convey the clarity you probably should be trying to convey. Also, saying that it attaches itself to an oxygen opens yourself to questions like- why does it attach itself to that specific oxygen? Is answering those questions within the scope of what you're doing? If not, best leave it out). A positive charge on the molecule allows for the salicylic acid to react with the anhydride (it does, can you explain why?), creating a resonance structure (what is its name, and what exactly do these three arrows mean?) (A resonance structure is a different way of drawing a molecule that has some degree of delocalisation. Basically, you can draw the molecule with an oxygen with three bonds and a positive charge, or you can draw it with the carbon having three bonds and a positive charge. It can be represented two ways. This shows that the delocalised electrons are delocalised over several atoms, and that's important because it tells you where the electron density can be expected to be highest. This helps you predict where nucleophiles like the alcohol group will want to react). Then, the molecule dissociates (an intermolecular rearrangement), forming acetylsacilylic acid and acetic acid, and the hydrogen ion returns back to the catalyst (just say- regeneration of the catalyst).
Reply 2
Original post by Infraspecies
The first thing that occurs is protonation (Correct, protonating the anhydride is an important step to make sure that the alcohol group is nucleophillic enough for the reaction to proceed well), as the hydrogen ion dissociated from the acid and attaches itself to an oxygen from the acetic anhydride (You don't need to say this part. Technically, the acid is already dissociated as it is in a solution of water, and at A-Level the expectation is that you understand acids like sulfuric or phosphoric acid are strong acids-fully dissociated in water. While the main solvent here isn't water, mixing up those ideas doesn't convey the clarity you probably should be trying to convey. Also, saying that it attaches itself to an oxygen opens yourself to questions like- why does it attach itself to that specific oxygen? Is answering those questions within the scope of what you're doing? If not, best leave it out). A positive charge on the molecule allows for the salicylic acid to react with the anhydride (it does, can you explain why?), creating a resonance structure (what is its name, and what exactly do these three arrows mean?) (A resonance structure is a different way of drawing a molecule that has some degree of delocalisation. Basically, you can draw the molecule with an oxygen with three bonds and a positive charge, or you can draw it with the carbon having three bonds and a positive charge. It can be represented two ways. This shows that the delocalised electrons are delocalised over several atoms, and that's important because it tells you where the electron density can be expected to be highest. This helps you predict where nucleophiles like the alcohol group will want to react). Then, the molecule dissociates (an intermolecular rearrangement), forming acetylsacilylic acid and acetic acid, and the hydrogen ion returns back to the catalyst (just say- regeneration of the catalyst).

Thank you for your insightful answer!

I am supposed to talk about its attachment to the oxygen, as my teacher wants me to be quite detailed about the process. Would saying it attaches to the oxygen because of the free electron pairs be correct (and the fact that oxygen is more electronegative than all the other elements present? Or would that fact not affect it at all, since it's essentially a proton that is attached...).

The positive charge causes the molecule arrange in a way that a bond between the two reactants can be formed, as the electrons become delocalised (this is my understanding from what I've read online... is my thought process correct?).

The oxygen becomes positively charged, and is therefore neutralised by the hydroxyl group - as a result, the C-O bond in anhydride breaks and the hydrogen dissociates itself from the aspirin (I am not quite sure as to why the C-O bond breaks, though...).

Was my further explanation correct? I read up more online as I want to fill in my gaps.
Thank you again for your time!
Original post by Mac117
Thank you for your insightful answer!

I am supposed to talk about its attachment to the oxygen, as my teacher wants me to be quite detailed about the process. Would saying it attaches to the oxygen because of the free electron pairs be correct (and the fact that oxygen is more electronegative than all the other elements present? Or would that fact not affect it at all, since it's essentially a proton that is attached...).

The positive charge causes the molecule arrange in a way that a bond between the two reactants can be formed, as the electrons become delocalised (this is my understanding from what I've read online... is my thought process correct?).

The oxygen becomes positively charged, and is therefore neutralised by the hydroxyl group - as a result, the C-O bond in anhydride breaks and the hydrogen dissociates itself from the aspirin (I am not quite sure as to why the C-O bond breaks, though...).

Was my further explanation correct? I read up more online as I want to fill in my gaps.
Thank you again for your time!

Loosely speaking the proton bonds to the most electronegative oxygen, or rather the one with the highest partial negative charge and the highest electron density.

The positive charge 'on the oxygen' (the charge isn't actually on the oxygen of course, it is far more electronegative than the carbon and hydrogen so it will always preferentially hold the electrons) changes the electron density in the carbonyl bond such that the carbon becomes far more susceptible towards attack by nucleophiles. Think of it like the electron density in the pi bond shifts a bit towards the oxygen and hydrogen leaving the carbon more positive, which means that electron rich species will be more attracted to the carbon (which is what the resonance structures are supposed to show).

As to why the C-O bond breaks and that rearrangement occurs, you don't need to worry about that. It's just about stability of the possible different products formed with regards to one another. It is more stable to break the bond and form acetic acid and an ether than it is to have the geminal hydroxy/ether/ester. The bond enthalpies are more favourable, the through space interactions are more favourable, the entropy change is more favourable. It just is basically.

Quick Reply

Latest