The Student Room Group

A-Level Chemistry

Hi guys, can anyone explain reaction profiles for catalysts for me, specifically the one with two bumps? I know it forms an intermediate and I saw a video where they said the homogenous catalyst has two bumps because of the intermediate, and the heterogenous one does not. However, in a test I did in class from my memory the question had a nickel catalyst (so solid) and hydrogen gas withing the reactants so it would be a heterogenous catalyst and I drew the graph with so bumps, just a smooth curve from reactants to products but I didn't get any marks, and my teacher said to *always* draw two bumps?! - sorry that's a lot of text, I'd really appreciate any clarity. 😊
Original post by 888ella
Hi guys, can anyone explain reaction profiles for catalysts for me, specifically the one with two bumps? I know it forms an intermediate and I saw a video where they said the homogenous catalyst has two bumps because of the intermediate, and the heterogenous one does not. However, in a test I did in class from my memory the question had a nickel catalyst (so solid) and hydrogen gas withing the reactants so it would be a heterogenous catalyst and I drew the graph with so bumps, just a smooth curve from reactants to products but I didn't get any marks, and my teacher said to *always* draw two bumps?! - sorry that's a lot of text, I'd really appreciate any clarity. 😊

Catalysts provide an alternative mechanism with a lower activation energy and to do this they must form some kind of low(er) energy intermediate.
Reply 2
Is that for all catalysts or just homogenous?

Original post by charco
Catalysts provide an alternative mechanism with a lower activation energy and to do this they must form some kind of low(er) energy intermediate.
Original post by 888ella
Is that for all catalysts or just homogenous?

It’s true for both homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysts.

Quick Reply

Latest