The Student Room Group

As level math !!!

Greetings, fellow TSR intellectuals .

This coming May I will have completed all of my A levels, however, there is one class which is haunting me and everything I wish to acquire in life. Yes, indeed, you have guessed correctly: It is AS - Level Math.

I will have around 4 months in order to self study the class. If I am lucky, I will get a tutor. Yet, I am not very experienced in math and don't have much prior knowledge that goes beyond 9th grade.

Has anyone else self studied math before? How long did it take? What grade did you get? Are there any online resources that I can use?

Thanks a bunch, I love you all.
No idea since the changes, and I never took any formal exams, but:

I recall teaching myself C1, S1, S2, half of S3, most of C2 and most of D1 in a week or so, but only to B-ish standard. I've since forgotten all of it :lol: I'm confident four months would be easily enough time to learn the AS to 90%+ standard for anyone willing to put the work in :dontknow:

I hadn't done any formal maths since year 8 or so, so I spent a few hours teaching myself the GCSE material I didn't know first and then took a few sets of past papers until I hit an A*. You might want to do something similar if you have the same knowledge gaps I had.

I had no reason to be doing it, so got bored and stopped. Hopefully your need to pass exams will provide you with sufficient motivation :tongue:

You can find pretty much everything you need online, there are endless videos explaining all of the topics. You can also buy the official books for your modules, or can find them online if you know where to look (for the old syllabus at least).

Places like exam solutions were very useful, and if you ever need help you can post on TSR and someone will always help you.

Finally, many people self study every year. It is among the most self study friendly subjects to take as there is so much material available.
Original post by WilsonAlexander
Greetings, fellow TSR intellectuals .

This coming May I will have completed all of my A levels, however, there is one class which is haunting me and everything I wish to acquire in life. Yes, indeed, you have guessed correctly: It is AS - Level Math.

I will have around 4 months in order to self study the class. If I am lucky, I will get a tutor. Yet, I am not very experienced in math and don't have much prior knowledge that goes beyond 9th grade.

Has anyone else self studied math before? How long did it take? What grade did you get? Are there any online resources that I can use?

Thanks a bunch, I love you all.

I have no idea what grade my knowledge equates to, but I have self-taught a decent amount of pure mathematics. (speaking in terms of A-level, that probably equates to C1-4, FP1 and parts of FP2/FP3, perhaps dabbling a bit beyond) :smile:

AS should be no trouble if you found GCSE rather easy, there's a decent amount of overlap in the first core module, with a few new concepts that you should have very little trouble with, with the second core module being not terribly harder. S1 is the most popular applied module to take for AS, and is considered by students to be the easiest but if you feel that mechanics, M1, is a better choice, then go with that :smile:

I would start with an introduction to quite basic calculus, ie. differentiation and integration of polynomials. That would be my approach, anyways. I can't remember how long it took me to get to the point where I am now, I've been rather on and off. It doesn't take me much time to learn a concept, but obviously it takes others much longer.

Quick Reply

Latest