The Student Room Group

Help physics

I don't understand the (b) part of the question, how will the paper make a difference?

Thanks.
IMG_6374.PNG

Scroll to see replies

The paper is there so that u can mark ur points and draw the Ray on the paper
Reply 2
Draw ur normal where its about to enter the glass, as glass has higher refractive index the ray will bend towards the normal, as the ray approaches the lther side of the glass draw a normal ath the point wher it touches. As air has a lower refractive index than glass the ray will bend away from the normal.

For the second bit u draw the light ray entering and leaving the block then connect the two lines via one straight line
Reply 3
Original post by Shaanv
Draw ur normal where its about to enter the glass, as glass has higher refractive index the ray will bend towards the normal, as the ray approaches the lther side of the glass draw a normal ath the point wher it touches. As air has a lower refractive index than glass the ray will bend away from the normal.

For the second bit u draw the light ray entering and leaving the block then connect the two lines via one straight line

I get the first part, but even with a masters in mechanical engineering I fail to understand the second part without a diagram...maybe a link would be cool?
Reply 4
Original post by Shinghei
I don't understand the (b) part of the question, how will the paper make a difference?

Thanks.
IMG_6374.PNG

When light passes from air through a block with parallel sides, it emerges parallel to the path of the light ray that entered it. Different amounts of light have different wavelengths; violet is refracted the most and red light is refracted the least. When a ray of white light is shone onto a triangular prism we can see this because a spectrum of light is produced. This is called dispersion.

Here is a diagram which may help?

Hi!

1. Place the block on paper.
2. Shine the light through the glass (DO NOT MOVE THE LIGHT SOURCE OR THE GLASS WHILE DOING IT)
3. 'Trace' the path of the light using pencil as it enters the glass; do the same as it exits
4. Then simply join the two ends of the line with a ruler; that'd be the ray through the glass.

Hope it helped and ask me if that didn't clear the doubt!

(cant believe i missed this..) Also, trace the sides of the glass block so that you can draw the normals and calculate the necessary data.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bleak_rage
Hi!

1. Place the block on paper.
2. Shine the light through the glass (DO NOT MOVE THE LIGHT SOURCE OR THE GLASS WHILE DOING IT)
3. 'Trace' the path of the light using pencil as it enters the glass; do the same as it exits
4. Then simply join the two ends of the line with a ruler; that'd be the ray through the glass.

Hope it helped and ask me if that didn't clear the doubt!

(cant believe i missed this..) Also, trace the sides of the glass block so that you can draw the normals and calculate the necessary data.

I dont get it , isnt that what the first part asks to do ? the second part is asking that if a paper would make difference and if so add that to the diagram, this question is so confusing :frown:
Reply 7
Ok, I think shaanv and lucyj9 have hit you up with the fundamentals. As far as I can tell, the second question is just about reflecting the light back at an equal angle. Just remember to state your assumptions, i.e. the sheet of paper is 100% reflective.
Original post by shahida sulaiman
I dont get it , isnt that what the first part asks to do ? the second part is asking that if a paper would make difference and if so add that to the diagram, this question is so confusing :frown:

It seems to me that the second part is the first part of the question asking you to do the same on a piece of paper.

And no, the paper will not make a difference (I don't see why it would though :biggrin:)
It seems to me that the second part is the first part of the question asking you to do the same on a piece of paper.

And no, the paper will not make a difference (I don't see why it would though :biggrin:)

lol thats the exact thing confusing me :biggrin: . If the paper does not make a difference why would they ask us to draw on the same diagram if the answer would be same .Like they say how would u draw the path, if it is already asked and drawn in the first part ? :frown: and then they say U can add to the diagram ???
(edited 6 years ago)

No, I think it's asking what would happen if you placed this transparent block on to a piece of paper. Of course, if it was a single piece of paper, a reasonable proprtion of the light would penetrate. In a mechanical sense however, said piece of paper would likely be on a desk or some other such structure. Said structure would also reflect the light. I guess we can assume the paper is 100% reflective, as I mentioned before. Always state your assumptions, then assuming your logic is correct, you can never be wrong.
lol thats the exact thing confusing me :biggrin: . If the paper does not make a difference why would they ask us to draw on the same diagram if the answer would be same .Like they say how would u draw the path, if it is already asked and drawn in the first part ? :frown:

I think the second part is the practical approach that is, how would you accurately calculate the refractive index (using simple apparatuses). For the first part you can draw just any line but that wouldn't help you get the actual value of the refractive index.
Original post by Illgesi
No, I think it's asking what would happen if you placed this transparent block on to a piece of paper. Of course, if it was a single piece of paper, a reasonable proprtion of the light would penetrate. In a mechanical sense however, said piece of paper would likely be on a desk or some other such structure. Said structure would also reflect the light. I guess we can assume the paper is 100% reflective, as I mentioned before. Always state your assumptions, then assuming your logic is correct, you can never be wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the question says a ray of light passing through the block. The most ideal thing that produces a (reasonable) ray of light is a LASER torch. If you shine the ray through the block I really don't see why the light would be reflected by the paper (assuming that the block is sitting on the paper) since you're passing the ray from the side of the block not from the top.
I think the second part is the practical approach that is, how would you accurately calculate the refractive index (using simple apparatuses). For the first part you can draw just any line but that wouldn't help you get the actual value of the refractive index.

ok so one thing I get it like U describe how u carry out the experiment but the only thing confusing me is that why would they ask us to draw or add to the diagram like why , we r gonna draw the same every time . What will be the difference? we r gonna draw the same no matter how accurate :/
Correct me if I'm wrong but the question says a ray of light passing through the block. The most ideal thing that produces a (reasonable) ray of light is a LASER torch. If you shine the ray through the block I really don't see why the light would be reflected by the paper (assuming that the block is sitting on the paper) since you're passing the ray from the side of the block not from the top.

I think you're in the weeds here. It's clearly a high school question. As I said, there are many deeper consequences as to what will happen. However, of course the paper will reflect a large proportion of the light energy. Certainly orders of magnitude more then the block itself. Indeed, the block itself will reflect and refract energy in many and multiple directions.

At this level however, we're looking at the simplistic reactions of the light energy.
The difference between them is that The first question is checking if they know how which way towards the normal the light will bend. The second question is checking practical skills and if they know how to actually draw the path of the light in an experimental setting
Original post by Illgesi
I think you're in the weeds here. It's clearly a high school question. As I said, there are many deeper consequences as to what will happen. However, of course the paper will reflect a large proportion of the light energy. Certainly orders of magnitude more then the block itself. Indeed, the block itself will reflect and refract energy in many and multiple directions.

At this level however, we're looking at the simplistic reactions of the light energy.

Wait what !? So the paper will effect the light ray ? but how ?
Original post by Uni12345678
The difference between them is that The first question is checking if they know how which way towards the normal the light will bend. The second question is checking practical skills and if they know how to actually draw the path of the light in an experimental setting

So when they ask add to the diagram , they mean apparatus ? that if we want to add?

The paper wont do anything unless you point the light towards the paper which, over here I dont see why would you even do that.

Just trace the path of the laser beam using a rule and pencil, join them using the same rule and pencil, draw the normals, use a protractor, get the angles, calculate the index. Done. The q doesnt even ask how the paper will affect the light

Well of course it will. Hold a sheet of paper towards the light in your room. Do you see the light source? Perhaps a little, but mostly you will see the sheet of paper glow. What really happens, is the direct light, i.e. the photons (or more correctly the electro-magnetic waves of a specific energy); hit the sheet of paper and diffract in quadrillions of different directions. Without the paper, they travel directly to you eye (approximately).

With these interactions, it's logically pretty obvious that a proportion of these light waves are going to reflect backwards. Indeed, even in the circumstance of the glass block we're talking about, a huge proportion reflect initially.

Quick Reply

Latest