The Student Room Group

Really good at Biology but not so good at Chemistry and physics

It is likely that I will be taking triple science next year (AQA). The problem is I am quite good at Biology about average in Physics and bad at chemistry. I really want to stay in top set not because of triple science but because my teachers are good (apart from physics). I also want to stay in this set because my biology is more than enough to compete with anyone else in my class, so moving down wouldn't be challenging enough.

So what should I do?

I need to get a B in Chemistry in order to take Biology at my preferred Sixth form college. I would still be accepted if I did well in double science but i'm not sure what grade I need.

Any help would be seriously appreciated. Thanks :smile:
I assume you're in year 9 right now, right?

I was the same, and still am. I'm really good at biology, not as good at chem + physics but still okay enough to pass.

As someone who's in year 11 right now, my advice to you is to just study. It sounds like a rather mundane answer, but it's your best shot. Revise as soon as possible, but don't burn yourself out. Ask your teachers to go through certain topics, or even a friend/someone else in your class.

Even if you do double, if you get into higher (like I did) then you can get a B anyway, so don't stress. The main bonus for doing triple science is an extra GCSE, but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

(Just a side note, in the end of year science test we did in year 9, I got a B and got into higher, and i'm certain many other people in my class currently got Cs in that exam, but i'm not sure if it's different for your school)
Reply 2
Original post by CabbageMan
I assume you're in year 9 right now, right?

I was the same, and still am. I'm really good at biology, not as good at chem + physics but still okay enough to pass.

As someone who's in year 11 right now, my advice to you is to just study. It sounds like a rather mundane answer, but it's your best shot. Revise as soon as possible, but don't burn yourself out. Ask your teachers to go through certain topics, or even a friend/someone else in your class.

Even if you do double, if you get into higher (like I did) then you can get a B anyway, so don't stress. The main bonus for doing triple science is an extra GCSE, but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

(Just a side note, in the end of year science test we did in year 9, I got a B and got into higher, and i'm certain many other people in my class currently got Cs in that exam, but i'm not sure if it's different for your school)

Hey thanks for the tips! I'm actually in year 10 so I have already done a year of the course. I have started trying to catch up in my spare time but its really difficult because I really dislike the subject and I'm bad at it. If I didn't need a good grade in chemistry for A level I probably wouldn't bother but I enjoy biology so much I have to take it at A level. I will talk to my form tutor tomorrow who is also my biology teacher and see what he has to say
Original post by Admera
Hey thanks for the tips! I'm actually in year 10 so I have already done a year of the course. I have started trying to catch up in my spare time but its really difficult because I really dislike the subject and I'm bad at it. If I didn't need a good grade in chemistry for A level I probably wouldn't bother but I enjoy biology so much I have to take it at A level. I will talk to my form tutor tomorrow who is also my biology teacher and see what he has to say

That's good to hear. If my advice is even slightly useful for someone then i'm happy. Good luck for the future!

Quick Reply

Latest