The Student Room Group

Are grade 9s achievable for someone like me?

HII my mocks are in 4 weeks kinda(starts 20th june) has anyone got all grade 9s and isnt naturally smart and can share what they did to achieve the grades as i hope to get a clean sweep.I am hoping to pursue dentistry or medicine and want to go to a grammar school sixth form and get into the top unis.Is this achievable for someone like me?
my mocks are going to be
poetry anthology(power and conflict)aqa
maths calc and non calc(we have topic lists)edexcel
biology paper 1 aqa
chemistry paper 1 aqa
physics paper 1 aqa
english language paper 1 edexcel
rs ocr (not sure what paper as we havent done christianity practices and we just started islam practices)
business paper 1 edexcel
french writing aqa
history medicine and cold war edexcel

my grades (most recent report which isnt that accurate)
english lit:7
english language:5-(we havent done english language since the start of year 10)
maths : 6-
biology:7-(we did a mock and i got a 6 but in topic tests i got 9s)
chemistry:7-(topic tests which i got 7s and 8s)
physics-7-(topic test which i got an 8 in)
business studies-6 but should be 8
religious studies- 5 but should be 7
french - 5+(got a 6 in reading)
history- 5(data from exam in jan)

i know my grades are not that good but i am willing to do whatever it takes to get grade 9s so if any grade 9 students could give me some personalised advice it would be much appreciated
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
I had a friend last year who was predicted a load of 7s/8s and a few either side as a maximum but he worked extremely hard (very very very) over summer term/ HT and the exam period to come out with 9 9s and an 8.

I got 12 9s so if I give any advice, I'd say to make sure you know the content top to bottom and inside out for every subject, with really focussed revision on the 3 days before exam day, doing at least a full set of past papers for each subject in this period and self-marking and reviewing. Also make sure to do loads of past papers/questions in general (even other exam boards if you run out) constantly learning from what you get wrong and fixing gaps in knowledge. For English, just keep writing and reading and waffling - that does help, but don't repeat stuff you've already said. Make sure you do stuff under timed conditions. For maths, do questions, don't look at mark schemes until you have an answer, and make sure the problem solving techniques are ingrained properly.
For history, just know the subject and be genuinely interested. In fairness, that applies to all subjects to help drive up grades.

BEWARE of saying 'should have gotten xyz' - this generates complacency. Which is bad.

Also don't trust the advance info given by exam boards but that might not exist any more.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for your advice!
in terms of learning content inside out which subjects does this apply to?
what resources should i use?
do past papers work for every subject?
also for example in sciences i have forgotten quite a lot of the first chapters as we did it in year 8 and 9.
how should i spread out my subjects?
how did u revise?

also tysm for the advice i will definitely take it on board
Reply 3
Original post by pinkshadow3478
HII my mocks are in 4 weeks kinda(starts 20th june) has anyone got all grade 9s and isnt naturally smart and can share what they did to achieve the grades as i hope to get a clean sweep.I am hoping to pursue dentistry or medicine and want to go to a grammar school sixth form and get into the top unis.Is this achievable for someone like me?
my mocks are going to be
poetry anthology(power and conflict)aqa
maths calc and non calc(we have topic lists)edexcel
biology paper 1 aqa
chemistry paper 1 aqa
physics paper 1 aqa
english language paper 1 edexcel
rs ocr (not sure what paper as we havent done christianity practices and we just started islam practices)
business paper 1 edexcel
french writing aqa
history medicine and cold war edexcel

my grades (most recent report which isnt that accurate)
english lit:7
english language:5-(we havent done english language since the start of year 10)
maths : 6-
biology:7-(we did a mock and i got a 6 but in topic tests i got 9s)
chemistry:7-(topic tests which i got 7s and 8s)
physics-7-(topic test which i got an 8 in)
business studies-6 but should be 8
religious studies- 5 but should be 7
french - 5+(got a 6 in reading)
history- 5(data from exam in jan)

i know my grades are not that good but i am willing to do whatever it takes to get grade 9s so if any grade 9 students could give me some personalised advice it would be much appreciated

I didn't get 9s but I did manage to improve my grades from 3s to 7s/ so I think I might be able to give advice (English Lan/History (Medicine))
English Lang:
1.) Have a look on ExamPro AQA Demo, it gives exemplars on how students should write their answers and how to score the best marks.
2.) Do questions from past papers and email your teachers/tutors to have a look at it and maybe provide some feedback and a possible mark, this is a great way of seeing how you can improve your answer
3.) Look on YouTube/online to find student model answers for AQA (i.e type in model answer aqa english lang Q4)
4.) Try and look at high level vocab online (I think theres a list of a 100 words you can use) and put that into your answer (for section B i think it is)

History:
1.) For Medicine, I think First Rate Tutors on Youtube have a video covering all of Medicine which was really useful for me
I think a Youtube channel called Mr Dale might also have something on Medicine, not too sure tbh
2.) Do questions from papers and send them to a teacher/tutor to have them mark it and provide some feedback
3.) Invest in the CGP Medicine book if you haven't already, it's pretty good for medicine
Original post by mskr710
I didn't get 9s but I did manage to improve my grades from 3s to 7s/ so I think I might be able to give advice (English Lan/History (Medicine))
English Lang:
1.) Have a look on ExamPro AQA Demo, it gives exemplars on how students should write their answers and how to score the best marks.
2.) Do questions from past papers and email your teachers/tutors to have a look at it and maybe provide some feedback and a possible mark, this is a great way of seeing how you can improve your answer
3.) Look on YouTube/online to find student model answers for AQA (i.e type in model answer aqa english lang Q4)
4.) Try and look at high level vocab online (I think theres a list of a 100 words you can use) and put that into your answer (for section B i think it is)

History:
1.) For Medicine, I think First Rate Tutors on Youtube have a video covering all of Medicine which was really useful for me
I think a Youtube channel called Mr Dale might also have something on Medicine, not too sure tbh
2.) Do questions from papers and send them to a teacher/tutor to have them mark it and provide some feedback
3.) Invest in the CGP Medicine book if you haven't already, it's pretty good for medicine

Tyyyy
where can i find the list of 100 words?
Reply 5
Tyyyy
where can i find the list of 100 words?

heres the list:

https://thearcheracademy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Top-level-English-vocabulary.pdf
Reply 6
Thanks for your advice!
in terms of learning content inside out which subjects does this apply to?
what resources should i use?
do past papers work for every subject?
also for example in sciences i have forgotten quite a lot of the first chapters as we did it in year 8 and 9.
how should i spread out my subjects?
how did u revise?

also tysm for the advice i will definitely take it on board

Yeah, so basically all the content-heavy subjects like History, Sciences, vocab in french, medicine, English anthologies etc. Just keep on rereading/rewriting your notes, no matter how messy they might be.
Past papers for every subject for sure, under timed conditions - helps prepare your exam technique and pushing yourself every time will only make you better at the subject.
Reread the textbook and make paraphrased notes is what I personally did for sciences, but doing that along with covering stuff up and repeating it, summary textbook questions, etc. should be enough. Make sure to reread every topic in the science textbooks carefully as any could come up linked to any other and it is important to be prepared for this. Formulae I think are provided again this year so that shouldn't be a big problem. Make sure you also go through 'exam-technique' sections at the back as those are very useful normally.

I'd say do one at a time depending on the order of your specific exams, e.g. 2 days bio, then 2 days phys etc until you've worked through them all content-wise. Then go hard on the past papers, with less separation between each subject now if you want.

I revised mostly be rereading the textbook on end and doing a load of past papers. Focussed on the subjects where I knew I was less strong like English literature and then did less on the ones I found easy.

Good luck!! :smile:
Thanks for the advice
I originally used seneca but ill try out ur methods too
also should i watch the paper walkthroughs for sciences
(edited 11 months ago)
Update i got my mock results but still waiting on history
maths 8 english lit 8 english lang 7 chemistry 9 physics 9 french 9 business 9 re 8 history 4
overall im very happy although i couldve got an 8 in language
oh and i was a mark off a 9 in maths and re so im happy with that
(edited 9 months ago)
Well done! :biggrin:
thank you!!
Reply 11
Update i got my mock results but still waiting on history
maths 8 english lit 8 english lang 7 chemistry 9 physics 9 french 9 business 9 re 8 history 4
overall im very happy although i couldve got an 8 in language
oh and i was a mark off a 9 in maths and re so im happy with that

Hey congradulation :smile: Could you please advise what method or resources did you use? did you have any tutor as well?

Quick Reply

Latest