The Student Room Group

Doppler Shift Problem

I've got stuck on the bottom half of this question. I have used Hubble's Law to calculate a value of v and I know to use the Doppler shift equation. The mark scheme does the same as this and then states two values of 0.22nm blue and 0.44nm red shift. I'm unsure how they got a value of lamda to use in the doppler shift equation? Screenshot_20170618-125533.png
Reply 1
who do you think we are? lol

I'm sure someone here can do this
bump
Reply 3
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
who do you think we are? lol

I'm sure someone here can do this
bump

It is something very simple that I'm overlooking as the question is only 3 marks & I can score 2/3 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
someone help😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Can we see the full question please? Parts a and b :biggrin:

I don't know what's going on :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Kyx
Can we see the full question please? Parts a and b :biggrin:

I don't know what's going on :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Parts (a) and (b) are entirely unrelated (at least I think they are). I've attached them, as well as the final part of the question. I'm glad it's not just me overlooking something silly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by 98matt
Parts (a) and (b) are entirely unrelated (at least I think they are). I've attached them, as well as the final part of the question. I'm glad it's not just me overlooking something silly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completely unrelated

:confused: :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Kyx
Completely unrelated

:confused: :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not the only one. I suspect they've made an error in the paper....there is another error on a previous question (this is a specimen paper)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by 98matt
You're not the only one. I suspect they've made an error in the paper....there is another error on a previous question (this is a specimen paper)

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're definitely missing the wavelength :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Kyx
We're definitely missing the wavelength :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've asked a few people and no one seems to be able to crack it. I think you're right. Might contact the WJEC (exam board) as thats 7 total marks, including the other question, that have errors in them on their specimen paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
On the copy of the specimen paper I have that question says 'at the centre of the galaxy with a wavelength of 656nm.' They must have changed it or something??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by EllieBee98
On the copy of the specimen paper I have that question says 'at the centre of the galaxy with a wavelength of 656nm.' They must have changed it or something??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just looked on the WJEC website & I see that now!! I was using the version uploaded to physicsandmathstutor so I assume theyve altered the question since then. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest