The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
And again, you fail to answer.

No, I asked first. You come up with the evidence there is a safety problem and then we can move on to your questions.
Original post by DorianGrayism
If you are able to get a Consultant position at a hospital in a decent area which takes at least 10 years.

A Trauma Surgeon is not going to earn vast amounts from private work. .

Writing medico-legal reports, he is.
Original post by Jammy Duel
I did, funnily enough: rejecting pay and hours terms in a pay and hours dispute generally means they are not good enough. If in fact they only wanted, say, 10% they would be mad not to accept 24%. But once again you are certainly going to shout fake news, and I see you've stopped trying to claim you can't find cheap fares, interestingly enough I just did a little look around and found that advance fares are some of the cheapest in Europe, and that's before considering our archaic rules requiring returns for just £1 more than a single.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because they're not asking for more money... Again please explain how rejecting money is greedy?

The data quite simply shows our rail fares are the most expensive in Europe. I don't know where you've got this nonsense that returns here are cheaper... also returns here are not just £1 more than a Single. Are you telling me a return from london to manchester is just £1 more than a single?

Interesting that you've dodged the question on globalisation. Do you support it now having previously backed candidates who made opposition to globalisation the central theme of their campaign?

You seem to change your mind daily on globalisation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
No, I asked first. You come up with the evidence there is a safety problem and then we can move on to your questions.

Here's an account from an actual train driver...
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2017/jan/07/southern-rail-train-driver-why-strikes-commuters

Of course though, with your extensive experience of driving trains you know better.
Here's an account from an actual train driver...

That reflects his supposed individual fears, not the actual issue. The rail safety bodies and actual experience contradict those fears. There is no safety issue.

For crying out loud, this anonymous union shill's attempt to influence the travelling public' opinion is the best you can do?

Still waiting for the evidence that there is a safety issue.
That reflects his supposed individual fears, not the actual issue. The rail safety bodies and actual experience contradict those fears. There is no safety issue.

For crying out loud, this anonymous union shill's attempt to influence the travelling public' opinion is the best you can do?

Still waiting for the evidence that there is a safety issue.

Again it's great that you're such an expert on train safety. Next time someone has a medical concern I guess they should come to you rather than a doctor? Next time someone wants to know about a structure they should go to you rather than an actual engineer?

Of course this gets down to your actual opposition. It's nothing to do with safety for you, it's about wanting to attack unions isn't it?

Please give me an example of an industrial action which you have supported.
Again it's great that you're such an expert on train safety.

You do keep repeating nonsense, and like to put words in the mouths of others, don't you?

I have repeatedly said that the rail industry safety bodies, whom we all rely on, are the ones that deem single man working safe, not me. I rely on those experts and trust their opinions (statutorily given), as I rely on the medical experts at my GP and local hospital.

You, by contrast, seem to be advocating reliance on the views of a single anonymous train driver, probably a union official, who has no known knowledge of the engineering and design of safety systems and has an obvious union axe to grind.

On the same basis, do you always ask to see a union member nurse rather than a fully-trained and experienced doctor when you have a medical emergency? Do you try to buy a car that has been designed and built by your local mechanic? Do you fly in planes that have been built by the local branch of the aircraft fitters' association?
You do keep repeating nonsense, and like to put words in the mouths of others, don't you?

I have repeatedly said that the rail industry safety bodies, whom we all rely on, are the ones that deem single man working safe, not me. I rely on those experts and trust their opinions (statutorily given), as I rely on the medical experts at my GP and local hospital.

You, by contrast, seem to be advocating reliance on the views of a single anonymous train driver, probably a union official, who has no known knowledge of the engineering and design of safety systems and has an obvious union axe to grind.

On the same basis, do you always ask to see a union member nurse rather than a fully-trained and experienced doctor when you have a medical emergency? Do you try to buy a car that has been designed and built by your local mechanic? Do you fly in planes that have been built by the local branch of the aircraft fitters' association?

Wait so we should dismiss pilots and doctors safety concerns?
Sigh.

Please can you name me one example of industrial action which you have supported?

Please can you name me one example of industrial action which you have supported?

Evidence that there is a safety issue.
Evidence that there is a safety issue.

Please will you give just one example of industrial action which you have supported?
Please will you give just one example of industrial action which you have supported?

Please will you give evidence that there are safety issues with one-man trains?
Because they're not asking for more money... Again please explain how rejecting money is greedy?

The data quite simply shows our rail fares are the most expensive in Europe. I don't know where you've got this nonsense that returns here are cheaper... also returns here are not just £1 more than a Single. Are you telling me a return from london to manchester is just £1 more than a single?

Interesting that you've dodged the question on globalisation. Do you support it now having previously backed candidates who made opposition to globalisation the central theme of their campaign?

You seem to change your mind daily on globalisation.

How about instead of incessantly rejecting answers you don't like and changing the subject to avoid having to tell the truth you actually show us your proof of safety issues, despite said concerns being totally irrelevant

Oh, and I guess full fact are peddlers of fake news as well as the times: https://fullfact.org/economy/do-uk-commuters-pay-highest-rail-fares-europe/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please will you give evidence that there are safety issues with one-man trains?

The unions say so, and they're infallible and never have vested interests

Posted from TSR Mobile
The unions say so, and they're infallible and never have vested interests

Well, obviously. I know because Bornblue keeps telling me so. It must be safety and not politics as an anonymous train driver (not a union offical, no, no, get that out of your mind) has written in the Guardian to say so.
How about instead of incessantly rejecting answers you don't like and changing the subject to avoid having to tell the truth you actually show us your proof of safety issues, despite said concerns being totally irrelevant

Oh, and I guess full fact are peddlers of fake news as well as the times: https://fullfact.org/economy/do-uk-commuters-pay-highest-rail-fares-europe/

Posted from TSR Mobile

So return tickets to London are £1 more than single tickets?
😂😂😂😂

You brought up globalisation, not me.

Do you or do you not support globalisation? And if you do, why have you backed numerous campaigns thatso vigorously opposed globalisation?

Less.

Single fare, Dorking to Waterloo, tomorrow 11:45am, £11.60

Return fare, departing 4pm: £11.70.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/Dorking/WAT/tomorrow/1145/dep/tomorrow/1600/dep
You don't need a degree in rocket science to do lots of well paid jobs.

I don't disagree but I doubt it's that hard to be a driver

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
I don't disagree but I doubt it's that hard to be a driver

Posted from TSR Mobile

The issue with driving trains is keeping route knowledge up to date.

Management staff can perform most other safety critical roles on the railway, but there is effectively no pool of spare drivers in the industry. Amongst the many mistakes during rail privatisation was weighting the funding system in favour of railway companies having the bare minimum driving staff working considerable amounts of voluntary overtime to cover the timetable. That played into the hands of the unions.

It would have been better if the standard timetable had to be operated by staff working basic hours only and if railway companies had been capped at directly employing say 80% of the drivers they needed with the other 20% sourced from agencies.
😂😂😂😂

You brought up globalisation, not me.

Do you or do you not support globalisation? And if you do, why have you backed numerous campaigns thatso vigorously opposed globalisation?

Stop dodging the questions: what is your proof of legitimate safety concerns?

btw, did you vote labour in the end?
Original post by Quantex
The problem with many British workers is they are so meek. They accept pitiful raises, are happy to work unpaid overtime, etc. So I respect these drivers for actually standing up for themselves.

If you want to get on in life and are not a complete numpty, become a train driver.

Nail on the head. Train drivers still get paid well because they've organised and fought for it. I wish other British workers did the same.

Latest

Trending

Trending