The Student Room Group

Paramedics

I was just wondering if anyone knew: Could it be possible to get a job as an ambulance crew member without a full drivers license?
Original post by 08demien09
I was just wondering if anyone knew: Could it be possible to get a job as an ambulance crew member without a full drivers license?

While the answer is technically yes, your employability as an ambulance crew member will drastically increase with the correct license under your belt. Many (if not all) ambulance trusts will set this license as a requirement, and will flat out refuse your application without it.

FAQs about the Ambulance Service Team

The link above takes you to the explanation provided by the NHS, and seems to focus on the POV of a paramedic, but if you’re hoping to be an EMT or the like, I believe it’s the same general answer.

Do Paramedics HAVE to drive?

This thread could also be of some use to you.

Hope this helps!
Not on an emergency ambulance. The reason is that you'll be part of a crew of 2, but if the patient is really unwell then the higher clinical grade needs to travel in the back with them to provide care on route - so as the lower qualified member of staff you'd need to be able to take over and drive. Someone in my cohort during my basic training lost her driving licence for medical reasons and so she was unable to continue with the training and job.

In my 8 years of working for two NHS Trusts and one private ambulance service I've only ever come across one paramedic who couldn't drive - and that was a niche situation involving international recruitment and differing driving standards, so is likely to have been an exception.

You may be able to find a job as a non-emergency ambulance crew without being able to drive - but this is basically transporting people to and from hospital appointments so is a very different job to an emergency ambulance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending