The Student Room Group

Teachers in the NEU in Wales and England set to go on strike once again

Poll

Current school/sixth form students: How do teacher strikes affect you?

You can read about the story and find out the dates of the strikes here: https://www.itv.com/news/2023-01-16/national-education-union-in-england-and-wales-vote-to-strike-over-teachers-pay

When will the strike days take place?

As much as I don't like the teaching unions I support teachers going on strike if they choose to do so, my only worry is the effect of the pupil's education.

Update: Teachers in England are set to strike again after members of the National Education Union (NEU) overwhelmingly turned down a government pay offer.

You can read more on the story and update here:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/teachers-at-major-union-reject-pay-offer-heres-when-next-strikes-are-expected/ar-AA19p1Zn
https://news.sky.com/story/more-teachers-strikes-expected-as-major-union-members-reject-insulting-pay-offer-12848847

Update: they have now accepted a 6.5% increase in their pay and have called off their strikes.
(edited 9 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I swear it's like everyone is striking these days.
Original post by Amin7
I swear it's like everyone is striking these days.

Yeah, I support teachers going on strike but it does look like everyone is going on strike these days.
I'm not surprised at the outcome of the vote.
Although I don't agree with teachers or any other up to date paid employees/contracted workers considering strike action whilst under contract because they want a larger pay rise.
Looks like much of the winter of discontent is being reenacted into 2023 and votes on striking likely to continue into the late spring & summer.
Maybe early 2024 too.
Who isn’t bloody striking these days
Good.

Shame about the apathy among many of the NASUWT and NAHT members.
Original post by Crazed cat lady
apathy among many of the NASUWT

I know a lot of their members didn't receive the postal ballot, I'd call it poor leadership rather than apathy - since 90% of those voting did vote to take action.
NEU member here :wavey:

Yes I am striking, yes I voted to strike.

I did so not really for my own pay, but for a lack of funding in schools.

Questions welcome
We should fine these stupid teachers for walking out the same way parents are fined for taking their children out
Original post by 04MR17

Questions welcome

What’s better, cats or dogs?
Original post by 04MR17

Questions welcome

I'm not a fan of the NEU but meh.

How will striking be able to put that message across? (In regards to schools being underfunded and not teachers needing to be paid more) and what do you hope that the government announces a result of the strike.
Original post by I am Frank
We should fine these stupid teachers for walking out the same way parents are fined for taking their children out

Disagreed. I think that teachers should be able strike, some teachers are underpaid and work long hours outside of work.

As much as I'd rather not have public sector workers go on strike, I support their right to strike (there's only one group/type of public sector workers who I don't support striking but I'm not going to name them).

Lol they deleted their account.
(edited 1 year ago)
As usual, I give my full support for anyone taking in part in strike action.
Original post by Admit-One
As usual, I give my full support for anyone taking in part in strike action.

Same (mostly, there are exceptions) even if I'm not a fan of it.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I'm not a fan of the NEU but meh.

How will striking be able to put that message across? (In regards to schools being underfunded and not teachers needing to be paid more) and what do you hope that the government announces a result of the strike.
Publicity, awareness, and ultimately - negotiating power. It's an NEU policy to demand better funding for schools - and that's the main reason that the headteachers' Union balloted.

I hope the government announced that facing widespread action from many key industries has made them rethink and realise they aren't the best people to lead our country. It won't happen, but that's my hope.
Original post by Andrew97
What’s better, cats or dogs?
Yes
Original post by 04MR17

Questions welcome

Do you believe that industrial action involving anything beyond work to rule will really persuade or encourage the current government to change their stances on pay rises and wider funding issues?
Teachers are treated like ****
Original post by Talkative Toad
You can read about the story and find out the dates of the strikes here: https://www.itv.com/news/2023-01-16/national-education-union-in-england-and-wales-vote-to-strike-over-teachers-pay

As much as I don't like the teaching unions I support teachers going on strike if they choose to do so, my only worry is the effect of the pupil's education.

It’s a shame how certain sectors feel the need to strike but they need to get better working conditions and higher pay.
Original post by londonmyst
Do you believe that industrial action involving anything beyond work to rule will really persuade or encourage the current government to change their stances on pay rises and wider funding issues?
I think only united can we succeed, that's why so many colleagues I know are leaving NASUWT to join NEU and why NEU have joined the calls of other union leaders to join forces to demand better. Chances are bleak, but the best chance we have is together.

Let's be real here, this is building towards a general strike.

I don't remember a time when teachers have gone on strike for 4+ days within 2 months.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending