The Student Room Group

English language and literature

My son has a GCSE grade 5 in English literature but a grade 3 in English language does it mean that he has to retake English language?
Original post by parcmontana
My son has a GCSE grade 5 in English literature but a grade 3 in English language does it mean that he has to retake English language?

Afraid so. A 3 is roughly equivalent to a D, a 4 is a passing grade.
Reply 2
i got the same result but after calling my collage of choice and speaking to my tutor, i only needed a 5 in one of them to get on the course. need to confirm at enrolment though
(edited 6 years ago)
I think you only need a pass in one of them.
Reply 4
You only need to pass one out of the 2 English exams so no he will not need to retake English language
Reply 5

Im in the same boot , just tell ur son to start revising like crazy for the last 2 exams of gcses he may ever do , they will most likely be in November.
Reply 6
Original post by Jess512
You only need to pass one out of the 2 English exams so no he will not need to retake English language

Can someone confirm this? i saw a artical on yougov saying that if you get a pass in literature. you are not required to retake but you do have the opportunity if your collage/six-form offers it

Yes he has to retake english language because he failed it. By law if u fail english language or maths u have to retake them regardless of passing english lit or not.

Quick Reply

Latest