The Student Room Group

Sixthform requirements

I want to do chemistry,biology, and maths in A-levels.I got my mock results last week biology-9,chemistry-8,maths-7phusics-9 english language and literature-3. English is not my first language.I came to england last year.I'm not sure whether will I pass english literature and language or not. But i really want to do A-levels. I sent applications to sixthform. But all sixthforms requires atleast grade 5 in language.I'm sure I will not get grade 5 in language next summer.this thought is giving me anxiety about GCSEs. What should I do now?Should i sent emails explaining the my situation to sixthforms?
Reply 1
Original post by Sarah21456
I want to do chemistry,biology, and maths in A-levels.I got my mock results last week biology-9,chemistry-8,maths-7phusics-9 english language and literature-3. English is not my first language.I came to england last year.I'm not sure whether will I pass english literature and language or not. But i really want to do A-levels. I sent applications to sixthform. But all sixthforms requires atleast grade 5 in language.I'm sure I will not get grade 5 in language next summer.this thought is giving me anxiety about GCSEs. What should I do now?Should i sent emails explaining the my situation to sixthforms?

What help are you getting at school? Sometimes we recommend droping the Literature to focus on the Language which is the more important one.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79

What help are you getting at school? Sometimes we recommend droping the Literature to focus on the Language which is the more important one.

My school does not really helps me. And my parents's are not able to provide me a private tutor since tutoring is so expensive.We are still trying to adjust to this country.I feel like I'll do better in english literature than language.I can not drop english litreature since I only do 5 GCSE subjects
Reply 3
My school does not really helps me. And my parents's are not able to provide me a private tutor since tutoring is so expensive.We are still trying to adjust to this country.I feel like I'll do better in english literature than language.I can not drop english litreature since I only do 5 GCSE subjects

Most schools put on revision and help sessions next term to help students get at least a grade 4. There are good online websites like Mr Bruff - have a look and see if it helps :smile:
Reply 4

Dw abt the requirements that the clgs put . As long as you got a grade 4 in the language you will be fine and able to do A-level in science subjects. So just work hard for the next few months. Good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by atyaf.2a
Dw abt the requirements that the clgs put . As long as you got a grade 4 in the language you will be fine and able to do A-level in science subjects. So just work hard for the next few months. Good luck.

Not if the college/school want a grade 5 and some do.
Reply 6

talk to your english teacher about it

Quick Reply

Latest