The Student Room Group

degree choice help

Hi everyone, I'm in y12 at currently choosing what degree to do. I kinda need to decide within the next couple months since I'm going for oxbridge so have to hand in PS earlier. I'm really torn between doing english and french or french and another language.

French is definite for me, but I love english too. Only problem is i also love learning new languages and would love to learn another to fluency.

Does anyone have any advice on how to decide? Or can anyone who does one of those degrees lmk how they find it? Thank you so much!!
I don’t do either of these degrees so I can’t speak for how they are.
But id recommend researching potential career opportunities, and go with the degree that opens more doors to you (doors you wan’t open).
For example if you wanted to be a translator, french or another foreign language is a good bet :smile:

Hope this somewhat helps?
Something to bear in mind is that modern languages degrees at Oxford are very literature heavy - they are to a point somewhat like English lit degrees except the literature you're reading is in another language (and you also have to write in that language!).

So you won't be "missing out" on doing literary analysis in a modern languages degree at Oxford. So consider whether you specifically want to study literature in English vs just literature in general. As if you have no particular attachment to literature written in English and are happy doing literary analysis on texts from other languages, you could well do French plus another language (European or Middle Eastern) and do plenty of literary work!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending