The Student Room Group

My GCSE maths teacher is RUBBISH, what should I do?

I've just started GCSE maths and my teacher is awful. He teaches the wrong work and doesn't explain anything we learn at all. Since i've always been fairly strong with maths i spend half the lesson trying to explain the work to my friends but to be honest i don't really have a clue what we are doing myself. It's really bothering me because maths is something i really want to do for a-levels and i wondered if anyone could give me some advice on what to do :smile: thanks
Talk to your parents who can then speak to your head of Year
Reply 2
I had the same problem with my year 10 maths teacher. He was Italian and struggled with speaking english, and was worse when it came to explaining maths to a bunch of 15 year olds. Chances are if he's awful for you, he's awful for other classes as well. Get your parents, and your friends parents to send emails complaining about the quality of the teaching. If enough people complain, he'll probably be reviewed and hopefully you'll get a new teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Report it to the Head Teacher and if he does not do anything then report it to the governors, and if they dont do anything report it to the Department of Education.
Original post by cobrah
i've just started gcse maths and my teacher is awful. He teaches the wrong work and doesn't explain anything we learn at all. Since i've always been fairly strong with maths i spend half the lesson trying to explain the work to my friends but to be honest i don't really have a clue what we are doing myself. It's really bothering me because maths is something i really want to do for a-levels and i wondered if anyone could give me some advice on what to do :smile: thanks

my two cents:

Print out the maths specification and learn everything by yourself via youtube videos or get a maths tutor.

Also, consider changing maths classes. Speak to teh head of year.

Printing out the specification would be thebest thing as you would be aware of what topics to expect during your exams, both mocks and the real one.

So many students every yaer complain about not being thaught certan topics or the teacher not warning them about xyz etc.
http://mathswebsite.com/

Stop feeling sorry for yourself and self-teach. You could try to get the teacher sacked, but there's no guarantee that you'll get a better one as a replacement. If you self-teach, you'll do fine.

Original post by cobrah
I've just started GCSE maths and my teacher is awful. He teaches the wrong work and doesn't explain anything we learn at all. Since i've always been fairly strong with maths i spend half the lesson trying to explain the work to my friends but to be honest i don't really have a clue what we are doing myself. It's really bothering me because maths is something i really want to do for a-levels and i wondered if anyone could give me some advice on what to do :smile: thanks
mine was too! I self taught my self for the two years and at the end achieved a grade 8 :smile: there's hope dw.

i used maths watch (i watched all of them and made notes) - i went onto maths genie and did questions on each topic as well as use the school textbooks for questions. I also completed every single maths past paper from 2014 onwards. The student room (grade 9 thread) also helped as well.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cobrah

So how many lessons are you basing your judgement on?
Reply 8
Original post by lmaooome
mine was too! I self taught my self for the two years and at the end achieved a grade 8 :smile: there's hope dw.

i used maths watch (i watched all of them and made notes) - i went onto maths genie and did questions on each topic as well as use the school textbooks for questions. I also completed every single maths past paper from 2014 onwards. The student room (grade 9 thread) also helped as well.

Thanks so much :biggrin: this is really useful!
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
So how many lessons are you basing your judgement on?

I've had my teacher for about a month now and for 4 lessons a week.
Original post by cobrah
I've had my teacher for about a month now and for 4 lessons a week.

And your quaifications for judging the quality of teaching are ...?

Seriously, make specific notes and complain to the Head of department giving examples of what is going wrong. All teachers are observed at least once a term so if it is as bad as you say then something will happen.
Yeah, forget about taking A level maths because I doubt your brain will cells will survive the time it takes to understand the piece of ****
Reply 13
Original post by cobrah

Thanks for all the help everyone! I think my GCSEs went really well and i thought i'd just say that getting good grades is mainly down to the effort you put in at home and in lessons so the teacher you end up having shouldn't impact you much tbh. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest