The Student Room Group

Worried about my Maths GCSE grade

I got my maths paper 1 and 2 back and got 19/80 on both. Using a sheet out teacher gave us for general grade boundaries they said 15/80 was a 4 and 5 was 24/80. I’ve told my mum I should’ve passed but she’s been getting annoyed at me saying my score is too low for sixth form (I want to do geography , sociology and media studies) and may be forcing me to get a tutor.
Should I worry about this score?
Original post by Richardhorl
I got my maths paper 1 and 2 back and got 19/80 on both. Using a sheet out teacher gave us for general grade boundaries they said 15/80 was a 4 and 5 was 24/80. I’ve told my mum I should’ve passed but she’s been getting annoyed at me saying my score is too low for sixth form (I want to do geography , sociology and media studies) and may be forcing me to get a tutor.

Which college do you want to go to?

4s and 5s are borderline for sixth form colleges. Any lower and you would need to go to an adult college and it might compromise your ability to go to uni (if that's something you're interested in).

Do you know where you went wrong and why you scored the marks that you did? If you don't, then that's the first place that I would look.

Getting a tutor would be a good idea, but it can also be down to lack of practice. A lot of students get higher grades in GCSE from doing past papers, reviewing the answers, learning from their mistakes, and then reattempting the question.
I would recommend getting a revision guide if you feel like you don't know the material. If the revision guide doesn't help, then getting a tutor would be a good idea.

To my limited knowledge of sixth form colleges, geography, sociology, and media studies (why media studies?) won't be too demanding and ask you for particularly high grades. However, they should be in line with the grades you require to enter the particular college that you want.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Why question media studies? Am I missing smth?
Why question media studies? Am I missing smth?

I'm not exactly a big fan of media studies (as a degree or A Level) because:

You don't need anything to get a job in media, but it's super competitive and you need to network a lot to even get a shot

Media Studies A Level isn't required for Media Studies degree

Media Studies is generally considered a soft subject and not something academic like geography

You don't really walk away with any particular skill or knowledge that you can apply to most places of work - let's face it, it's not something like engineering, computer science, chemistry, medicine, accounting, etc. At most you know how to write essays, but you can do that with pretty much any degree

A qualification in media is generally not required for any line of work (at least that I am aware of) and it doesn't really help your employment prospects

Having said that, if you want to study the subject for the sake of studying the subject because you love the subject, then by all means (an A Level is still an A Level, and it's still a credible subject). However, I don't think it would add much to say your prospects in higher education or employment.
It does count towards another A Level if people are not picky about it. However, that's just me.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
I'm not exactly a big fan of media studies (as a degree or A Level) because:

You don't need anything to get a job in media, but it's super competitive and you need to network a lot to even get a shot

Media Studies A Level isn't required for Media Studies degree

Media Studies is generally considered a soft subject and not something academic like geography

You don't really walk away with any particular skill or knowledge that you can apply to most places of work - let's face it, it's not something like engineering, computer science, chemistry, medicine, accounting, etc. At most you know how to write essays, but you can do that with pretty much any degree

A qualification in media is generally not required for any line of work (at least that I am aware of) and it doesn't really help your employment prospects

Having said that, if you want to study the subject for the sake of studying the subject because you love the subject, then by all means (an A Level is still an A Level, and it's still a credible subject). However, I don't think it would add much to say your prospects in higher education or employment.
It does count towards another A Level if people are not picky about it. However, that's just me.

I don’t know much about media studies , it was suggested as an alevel for me due to my interest in photography. As for its usefulness my aspired uni course/job has no requirements for specific a levels just a minimum of ucas points
I don’t know much about media studies , it was suggested as an alevel for me due to my interest in photography. As for its usefulness my aspired uni course/job has no requirements for specific a levels just a minimum of ucas points

What degree do you have in mind then?

If the degree course page specifically says that they don't have any particular preferences for particular subjects, then you should be fine with it.
I personally still wouldn't take it because I'm usually more into the academic subjects. However, that's just me.
Reply 6

If the degree course page specifically says that they don't have any particular preferences for particular subjects, then you should be fine with it.
I personally still wouldn't take it because I'm usually more into the academic subjects. However, that's just me.

Can’t remember the exact name but it’s a maritime degree , one of the ones at solent uni. The job I want is deck officer in the merchant navy
Reply 7

Stop rubbishing media studies - this is your opinion and not one that many unis have.

The OP can choose the A levels they are interested in - that's how you get good grades.
Reply 8
Can’t remember the exact name but it’s a maritime degree , one of the ones at solent uni. The job I want is deck officer in the merchant navy

Ignore the other poster - your A levels choices are fine.

Have you got your papers back and analysed where you went wrong? There's lots of free resources on the web and your school should offer revision classes. I wouldn't bother with a tutor. I can recommend good websites.
Reply 9

You're still in January so my advice for you would be to not panic. You've still got time. Someone already mentioned this but check out the topics you have struggled on. List them. If your school uses a website like Hegartymaths, maths watch, Dr Frost (especually with Hegarty maths) I think it's worth checking out those videos and doing the tasks that are attached to the video. I think an exercise book with gcse questions could be helpful developing your fluency on the subject or otherwise you could also go physics and maths tutor but usually exercise books go from easy to hard so I think it would be useful if you're very low in confidence for that subject. Once you become confident websites like physics and maths tutor and maths genie are really good. Also if you are struggling with a question that you tried at home or didn't understand in class don't be afraid to ask your teacher about it or even some other kid in your class or year. I remember people coming up to me about maths questions and I'd always been happy to help and I think many from year would also.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
Ignore the other poster - your A levels choices are fine.

Have you got your papers back and analysed where you went wrong? There's lots of free resources on the web and your school should offer revision classes. I wouldn't bother with a tutor. I can recommend good websites.

Not yet , got them back today and just went over marks , I’ll have a further look next lesson
Reply 11
Original post by Remimoo
You're still in January so my advice for you would be to not panic. You've still got time. Someone already mentioned this but check out the topics you have struggled on. List them. If your school uses a website like Hegartymaths, maths watch, Dr Frost (especually with Hegarty maths) I think it's worth checking out those videos and doing the tasks that are attached to the video. I think an exercise book with gcse questions could be helpful developing your fluency on the subject or otherwise you could also go physics and maths tutor but usually exercise books go from easy to hard so I think it would be useful if you're very low in confidence for that subject. Once you become confident websites like physics and maths tutor and maths genie are really good. Also if you are struggling with a question that you tried at home or didn't understand in class don't be afraid to ask your teacher about it or even some other kid in your class or year. I remember people coming up to me about maths questions and I'd always been happy to help and I think many from year would also.

I’m usually fine in topics in class it’s just the exam style questions that get me as I find it hard to recognise what topic the question is asking me. I’m just getting it from all my family including my sister whose a teacher saying I shouldn’t be happy w my result and it’s quite worrying
Not yet , got them back today and just went over marks , I’ll have a further look next lesson

You need to properly analyse the papers and RAG rate topics.

RED - no marks - need to relearn this topic
AMBER - some marks - more examples needed - start here
GREEN - full or nearly full marks - kepp this ticking over

https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports might help. Start with passport 3.

Another good website with graded questions is: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/
Reply 13
I’m usually fine in topics in class it’s just the exam style questions that get me as I find it hard to recognise what topic the question is asking me. I’m just getting it from all my family including my sister whose a teacher saying I shouldn’t be happy w my result and it’s quite worrying

Ok so maybe go on websites like physics and maths tutor and doctorfrost which are both free, because you can choose the topic you want to do and they usually have a variety of exam questions about the topic and so you can see what kind of questions they would ask for each topic and how you can use your knowledge about the subject to apply to the topic. Also, I would recommend doing one past paper for maths per week alongside your revision on specific topics.

Well, the following are job profiles for deck officer:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/merchant-navy-deck-officer
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/merchant-navy-officer
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/marine-careers/job-profile/merchant-navy-deck-officer

Do note that getting a degree is not the only route into the role.

An example of a job posting for deck officer includes the following:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/roles/qualified-deck-officer-rfa

From the above, the key subjects are:

nautical science

marine operations

navigation and maritime science

mechanical and marine engineering

From the job posting, it seems nautical science and marine operations are the key ones, although I wouldn't dismiss the others.

Having looked through the entry requirements for all of the maritime related degrees, the only degrees that you would have problems getting on are the ones involving yacht design (engineering) which require at least 2 STEM subjects. Since you're not interested in yacht design (which should involve quite a bit of maths), I am guessing you would give this a skip.

The entry requirements for Nautical Science are the following (https://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/nautical-science-bsc#entry-requirements):
104-120 UCAS points
Plus GCSEs at grade 9 to 4 (A* to C) in the following subjects:

Mathematics

English

Science (with significant Physical Science content)

So long you get at least 4s in the above subjects in your GCSE, you should be fine. They don't seem to require specific A Level subjects, so the ones you picked should also be fine (despite my opinion of one of them).

If you read into the entry requirements further, they require you to have a sponsored cadetship (I like the word cadetship - it has literal meaning as well as being a pun). If you scour the Maritime School website, you would find the following page: https://maritime.solent.ac.uk/careers/officer-cadet-training/how-to-apply
In other words, after your A Levels, you would need to find a shipping company to sponsor you.(not UCAS, the Martime School, or the uni).

In case you want to see the career progression of deck officers, see: https://maritime.solent.ac.uk/documents/career-progression-charts/deck-unlimited-experienced-seafarer.pdf

By the way, you're free to ignore me if you want.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 15
Well, the following are job profiles for deck officer:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/merchant-navy-deck-officer
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/merchant-navy-officer
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/marine-careers/job-profile/merchant-navy-deck-officer

Do note that getting a degree is not the only route into the role.

An example of a job posting for deck officer includes the following:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/roles/qualified-deck-officer-rfa

From the above, the key subjects are:

nautical science

marine operations

navigation and maritime science

mechanical and marine engineering

From the job posting, it seems nautical science and marine operations are the key ones, although I wouldn't dismiss the others.

Having looked through the entry requirements for all of the maritime related degrees, the only degrees that you would have problems getting on are the ones involving yacht design (engineering) which require at least 2 STEM subjects. Since you're not interested in yacht design (which should involve quite a bit of maths), I am guessing you would give this a skip.

The entry requirements for Nautical Science are the following (https://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/nautical-science-bsc#entry-requirements):
104-120 UCAS points
Plus GCSEs at grade 9 to 4 (A* to C) in the following subjects:

Mathematics

English

Science (with significant Physical Science content)

So long you get at least 4s in the above subjects in your GCSE, you should be fine. They don't seem to require specific A Level subjects, so the ones you picked should also be fine (despite my opinion of one of them).

If you read into the entry requirements further, they require you to have a sponsored cadetship (I like the word cadetship - it has literal meaning as well as being a pun). If you scour the Maritime School website, you would find the following page: https://maritime.solent.ac.uk/careers/officer-cadet-training/how-to-apply
In other words, after your A Levels, you would need to find a shipping company to sponsor you.(not UCAS, the Martime School, or the uni).

In case you want to see the career progression of deck officers, see: https://maritime.solent.ac.uk/documents/career-progression-charts/deck-unlimited-experienced-seafarer.pdf

By the way, you're free to ignore me if you want.

Thank you , that’s a big help. I don’t know requirements for a sponsorship but my granddad was a chief engineer for Maersk (P&O at the time) so maybe they could be a good start for that

Then I would say you should focus your time on exam practices and exam style questions. Doing questions where you know what the topic is isn't likely going to be of further help.

One strategy I sometimes use is to quickly note in the corner of the paper what topics spring to mind when reading the question. Doing a bit of brainstorming (not sure if it's a PC term) tend to help when figuring out what to do, so long it's like under 5 seconds.
The other thing is often you will get certain topics associated with certain questions, especially if the question is multilayered or involves more than one topic. Ratios, trigonometry, bearings, and transformations can sometimes go hand in hand with geometry for example.
The more exposure you have to these questions, the quicker you would recognise them.

If you're particularly stuck, look at the mark scheme for the question and note down the topic. Knowing how to approach a question is also a math skill on its own. Sometimes they test you on how creatively you can think through a maths problem.
Reply 17

(i did higher) if its any help i got a 2 (around 11/80 in each paper) in my mocks and in my actual GCSEs i got a 5 (and i only put in a tiny bit more work - i should have done more), you're already working at a higher grade than me and shouldn't worry too hard! just put in a little more effort and you will do fine!! try do lots and lots of past papers and ask your teacher to mark it and go through things you got wrong with you and that should help you loads!! - what i wish i did!
also don't forget to brush up on the basics!!

generally, the sixth-forms in my area want 6s and above and 7+s in any subjects you are carrying on from GCSEs to A-levels, however one or 2 5's shouldn't throw you off track completely if its like that for any sixth forms you are applying to !!

don't worry about having a tutor i know so many people (even ppl working at grade 8s/9s) who had them and they are really beneficial if you have access - nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about - its an extra layer of support

Quick Reply

Latest