The Student Room Group

Uber loses licence to operate in London

Scroll to see replies

At least three of the four reasons cited by Transport for London require minimal effort on behalf of Uber to correct. So they really should not have put themselves in a position where the licence would not be renewed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 21
Nanny state alert
Original post by Airmed
Uber will not be issued a new private hire license, Transport for London has said.
TfL has concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a private hire operator licence.

As many as 40,000 Uber drivers will potentially be now forced off the city's streets, in what is a shock ruling from TfL. They cite that there are a "number of issues which have potential public safety and security implications."

Wow. :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41358640

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/uber-loses-london-operating-licence-after-shock-ruling-by-tfl_uk_59c4cea0e4b0cdc773304805?utm_hp_ref=uk

Spain did the same thing Uber just pay a €10,000 fine a day
why dont u guys use grabcar?

IMO its better
This is quite interesting because it is a flagrant anti-economic measure, we do have a free-market for businesses to emerge and compete. Uber became big because customers made it so, even now we are hearing of people disappointed and puzzled at TfL. The 'safety' concerns don't seem to make enough of a case to put Uber out of business altogether, it can't be that hard to make them comply with satisfactory procedures. That would be the natural thing to do.

So it must be a political decision by TfL, that is the most obvious explanation.
The security concerns are about incidents with drivers and members of the public. The company failing to regulate them properly and failed to liaise with the police properly so people were put at risk. Uber have been quite arrogant about it, so this may make them take the issue more seriously. Expect they will appeal, reform and win.
Uber is an appalling business model for consumers and drivers. Allowing unregistered drivers to become self employed workers (to avoid paying in work benefits) is abhorrent.

Taxis are actually really cheap here anyway compared with the rest of Europe.

Point has been mentioned about the inevitable take over of the taxi business anyway, but that isn't an excuse to work for next to nothing. This is the same argument as the McDonalds workers who (rightly) went on strike for fair pay - if they get replaced wholesale by machines that's the company's choice, but it shouldn't be used as blackmailing staff to work for less.

People complain too much in the UK. Try and put yourself in the shoes of the workers instead of treating them as your employees
Reply 27
Original post by Airmed
Uber will not be issued a new private hire license, Transport for London has said.
TfL has concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a private hire operator licence.

As many as 40,000 Uber drivers will potentially be now forced off the city's streets, in what is a shock ruling from TfL. They cite that there are a "number of issues which have potential public safety and security implications."

Wow. :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41358640

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/uber-loses-london-operating-licence-after-shock-ruling-by-tfl_uk_59c4cea0e4b0cdc773304805?utm_hp_ref=uk

One of the key issues they aren't disclosing is the lack of care Uber showed it's service users. Taxi drivers need a DBS check some of the service users are vulnerable children, which are classified as children younger than 16 and Vulnerable adults. Why is this an issue criminals was employed by Uber, then you have rapist Somalian drivers.
If you don't think uber is safe, don't use it.

I do not want some faceless bureaucrat telling me who I may or may not pay to drive me about. Mind your own damned business.
Reply 29
Original post by That Bearded Man
People complain too much in the UK. Try and put yourself in the shoes of the workers instead of treating them as your employees

Are you talking about the taxi drivers complaining too much? Or TFL?
Reply 30
Original post by That Bearded Man
Uber is an appalling business model for consumers and drivers. Allowing unregistered drivers to become self employed workers (to avoid paying in work benefits) is abhorrent.

Taxis are actually really cheap here anyway compared with the rest of Europe.

Point has been mentioned about the inevitable take over of the taxi business anyway, but that isn't an excuse to work for next to nothing. This is the same argument as the McDonalds workers who (rightly) went on strike for fair pay - if they get replaced wholesale by machines that's the company's choice, but it shouldn't be used as blackmailing staff to work for less.

Did they even have a coherent Asylum and Immigration policy- As uber is the parent company who is linked to the self employed jobs, they should check passports, work visas .etc to make sure that they are not employing illegal immigrants- Uber would be a perfect platform for Illegal aliens to just register to the system- I don't think they would of bothered doing these checks if they are unwilling to follow any other process.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
If you don't think uber is safe, don't use it.

I do not want some faceless bureaucrat telling me who I may or may not pay to drive me about. Mind your own damned business.

The safety concerns seem to be based around apparent failure with checking its drivers with DBS checks, among other things. They broke the rules and got their license taken away, simple as that.

No company of any kind should be able to break rules and regulations without consequence.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
The safety concerns seem to be based around apparent failure with checking its drivers with DBS checks, among other things. They broke the rules and got their license taken away, simple as that.

No company of any kind should be able to break rules and regulations without consequence.

So, again, if you don't think it's safe, don't use it.

The rules and regulations shouldn't exist. It's a new commercial model and it shouldn't be forced to cram itself into old frameworks in order to be permitted to operate. At bottom there are an awful lot of us who want to use ubers and an awful lot of people who want to drive ubers. Is it too much to ask for the government to leave us the hell alone?
And yet Uber are neither short of drivers nor of customers.
Predictable reaction from the political right.

Companies like individuals must comply with the laws and regulations which they are subject to. If they don't ,they can expect to face consequences. It's the same as how a person who doesn't comply with the law faces the consequences of not doing so.

Many other taxi firms find themselves able to comply with the regulations so Uber really only have themselves to blame.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by db10
Are you talking about the taxi drivers complaining too much? Or TFL?

I mean people who are booking the taxis. Consumers.
Original post by Roasted
Did they even have a coherent Asylum and Immigration policy- As uber is the parent company who is linked to the self employed jobs, they should check passports, work visas .etc to make sure that they are not employing illegal immigrants- Uber would be a perfect platform for Illegal aliens to just register to the system- I don't think they would of bothered doing these checks if they are unwilling to follow any other process.

I'm not sure about the specifics but that makes sense. Officially registered as a "worker" and Uber able to pay them pittance in exchange for granting them a permit to stay.
They're mad. Black taxi's aren more expensive and don't come with a fixed price.
Original post by NotNotBatman
Horrible idea imo. Services that "play by the rules" are less efficient anyway.

Did you read which rules they're flouting? Not carrying out background checks on drivers, not regulating their drivers or properly investigating allegations of sexual assaults (inter alia), and allowing drivers to avoid law enforcement officers by use of its proprietary software.

I would rather a more expensive service if it meant a lower chance of being buggered.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending