The Student Room Group

fifa 18

Should i get it now.. im in yr 12 or wait till Christmas or something. First mocks in Feb. I can manage my time on it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rolls_Reus_Owner
Should i get it now.. im in yr 12 or wait till Christmas or something. First mocks in Feb. I can manage my time on it.

I would say get it, but make sure someone is able to intervene if you're playing it too much :lol: and only play it after you're finished with studies, not during breaks

I see why you'd be hesitant to get it but at the same time you need something to destress from life and smashing teams in Europe with your favourite Dortmund players would be pretty good for that.
Reply 2
What's the cheapest price you were able to find guys? Does any retailer do student discount for Xbox One version? Cheers
Reply 3
I’m having the same issue. And I have nothing to do on the weekend to pass time and I’ve a brother in year 11 who isn’t really the brightest. But I’m on Xbox 1 and got no one to play with as all my friends are on PS4. I feel guilty to ask my parents to spend another £300 on a PS4 and Fifa 18. What should I do?
Original post by gerib17
I’m having the same issue. And I have nothing to do on the weekend to pass time and I’ve a brother in year 11 who isn’t really the brightest. But I’m on Xbox 1 and got no one to play with as all my friends are on PS4. I feel guilty to ask my parents to spend another £300 on a PS4 and Fifa 18. What should I do?

Get a part time job you can fit round studies, normally a local business/restaurant/independent store etc. You won't have to ask and you'll have made the money by Christmas.
Reply 5
Original post by Pizzabomb
Get a part time job you can fit round studies, normally a local business/restaurant/independent store etc. You won't have to ask and you'll have made the money by Christmas.

I don’t know if I can fit round my studies because I’ve already done some work but they wanted me for 8 hours virtually leaving with no time left for revising
Reply 6
I also go into schools every morning listening to my friends talk about playing FIFA in the weekend and it sounds they’re having fun whereas I’m just there trying to “relate”. However my friends have asked me to get ps4 and Fifa 18 but I’m not sure. My mum has asked whether or not they should get it for me. But as I said I can’t bear all that guilt inside of me over a game that will decrease in popularity as they year progresses. Then it will be FIFA 19 and I’ll be in year 13 when I will have to focus completely on my studies. So I won’t have anytime left to play FIFA.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gerib17
I also go into schools every morning listening to my friends talk about playing FIFA in the weekend and it sounds they’re having fun whereas I’m just there trying to “relate”. However my friends have asked me to get ps4 and Fifa 18 but I’m not sure. My mum has asked whether or not they should get it for me. But as I said I can’t bear all that guilt inside of me over a game that will decrease in popularity as they year progresses. Then it will be FIFA 19 and I’ll be in year 13 when I will have to focus completely on my studies. So I won’t have anytime left to play FIFA.

I genuinely had a similar probelm. In year 12 I barely managed to get by with good grades and although I managed it, I felt like I really to cram - I also wasn't ranking as highly in class as before. I guess it depends on your aspirations, but most likely, to fully focus on school the only solution is to give up fifa, because SBCs etc, mean that it is very time consuming. I really hope you take the advice on board and just forget about fifa. On the plus side, I know have a lot more time for reading and also completing school work.
Reply 8
Original post by funky2722
I genuinely had a similar probelm. In year 12 I barely managed to get by with good grades and although I managed it, I felt like I really to cram - I also wasn't ranking as highly in class as before. I guess it depends on your aspirations, but most likely, to fully focus on school the only solution is to give up fifa, because SBCs etc, mean that it is very time consuming. I really hope you take the advice on board and just forget about fifa. On the plus side, I know have a lot more time for reading and also completing school work.

I most certainly agree with what you’re saying but I don’t know what I’m going to do to pass by time. I will tell you what my week looks like:
School Monday to Friday (revision after school and completing homework)
Saturday and Sunday (watching any football matches and revising)
And repeat so as you can see not much apart from heavy revising for my A-Levels. I don’t want my student life to revolve only round books and writing.
Reply 9
Even my mum has noticed that I’ve nothing to do hence asking whether or not she wants to get it for me
Original post by gerib17
I most certainly agree with what you’re saying but I don’t know what I’m going to do to pass by time. I will tell you what my week looks like:
School Monday to Friday (revision after school and completing homework)
Saturday and Sunday (watching any football matches and revising)
And repeat so as you can see not much apart from heavy revising for my A-Levels. I don’t want my student life to revolve only round books and writing.

What subjects do you currently do? Also, it's only october, there's more to come. Maybe join a few societies. Tbh at this point in the year, especially in year 12, you can get away with playing a lot, but when it comes to mock exams for predicted grades in may for example, you will regret it as it's hard to let go of the habit. I used to play fifa loads from year 7 to 12 - this is the first year I've given it up, though admittedly, I haven't had the time to think about it due to an increased work load.
What subjects do you currently do? Also, it's only october, there's more to come. Maybe join a few societies. Tbh at this point in the year, especially in year 12, you can get away with playing a lot, but when it comes to mock exams for predicted grades in may for example, you will regret it as it's hard to let go of the habit. I used to play fifa loads from year 7 to 12 - this is the first year I've given it up, though admittedly, I haven't had the time to think about it due to an increased work load.

A level maths
A level economics
A level sociology
Original post by gerib17
A level maths
A level economics
A level sociology

If your doubt is due to the fact that FIFA is addictive I’m more than capable of knowing when it’s time to stop. The only reason I’m considering FIFA is because I love nothing else to do
Original post by gerib17
A level maths
A level economics
A level sociology

Oh I guess it might be feasible with 3 a levels. I assumed you did 4, sorry, my bad. And I guess if you know when it's time to stop then it's your choice. :smile: Though, I always found it hard, because I'd always think about squeezing in an hour or two on the weekends, which obviously added up from Jan to May (when I wanted to study), as well as hours on the web app and companion app doing SBCs. Good luck anyways.
Original post by gerib17

Year 13 you have to completely focus on your studies? Nah. You've got to have some down time too or you'll fail. It's striking the balance. Me and my mates played FIFA 17 throughout exam season, 700 games of pro clubs across the calendar year, all of us got into our first choice uni, a couple prestigious ones. I'm on a gap year.

The reason I wouldn't consider getting FIFA 18 is the online gameplay is terrible and the mechanics are fundamentally broken. Defending, goalkeeping etc. But if you're happy getting angry from time to time like every year it's worth the purchase. Go for it. Ask for ps4 and if not get one for Christmas.
Year 13 you have to completely focus on your studies? Nah. You've got to have some down time too or you'll fail. It's striking the balance. Me and my mates played FIFA 17 throughout exam season, 700 games of pro clubs across the calendar year, all of us got into our first choice uni, a couple prestigious ones. I'm on a gap year.

The reason I wouldn't consider getting FIFA 18 is the online gameplay is terrible and the mechanics are fundamentally broken. Defending, goalkeeping etc. But if you're happy getting angry from time to time like every year it's worth the purchase. Go for it. Ask for ps4 and if not get one for Christmas.

I didn’t get FIFA 17 so the new mechanics will be new to me but I’ll get used to it and I’m a good FIFA player so I will be able to adapt to what you’re saying is bad mechanics and online gameplay.
Original post by Rolls_Reus_Owner

I would get it.

Congrats bro! What uni are you planning on going? Any good shouts?
Congrats bro! What uni are you planning on going? Any good shouts?

Either Liverpool or Staffordshire I got offers from both, the latter seems really nice and underrated but I quite like Liverpool, obvs depends on your course
I legit bought it the next day lmao

Quick Reply

Latest