The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine, where should I apply???

Hi,

I've been trying to research about uni options and would really like some opinions!
I've recently sat my UKCAT and managed to get a 747.5 and STJ Band 1. I have decent iGCSEs but terrible A levels.

Which GEM courses at uni's should I apply to that won't look at my A-levels and basically I have a better chance of an offer at?

Thanks in advance for any help!
In the uk I’m sorry to sound harsh but don’t accept you unless you have at least AAA in A levels (AAB minimum)
Reply 2
Original post by chocolover67912
In the uk I’m sorry to sound harsh but don’t accept you unless you have at least AAA in A levels (AAB minimum)

This may be true for school leavers applying for UG courses, but it is not the case for some GEM schools.

OP, please refer to this TSR guide and this 2018 entry requirements booklet for options.

Newcastle, Warwick and KCL could be good options (depending on the UKCAT threshold, especially for NCL which has been as high as 767). Depending on how bad your A Levels are you may have a few other options available such as Southampton and QMUL. What degree did you complete and what classification did you get?
Reply 3
Original post by uwotuwot
This may be true for school leavers applying for UG courses, but it is not the case for some GEM schools.

OP, please refer to this TSR guide and this 2018 entry requirements booklet for options.

Newcastle, Warwick and KCL could be good options (depending on the UKCAT threshold, especially for NCL which has been as high as 767). Depending on how bad your A Levels are you may have a few other options available such as Southampton and QMUL. What degree did you complete and what classification did you get?

I'm currently third year studying biomedical science and predicted a 1st (having obtained a 1st in every single module)
Reply 4
Original post by ntseu
I'm currently third year studying biomedical science and predicted a 1st (having obtained a 1st in every single module)

Well done. If you have chemistry A2 at grade B or above then Queen Mary LDN is another good choice, if it's at grade C or above then Southampton is possible too. Assuming you have VR score above average and 70hrs voluntary experience (or 20hrs shadowing, 50hrs voluntary) then you have a shot at Warwick. King's College London says that they don't have a cutoff, but you need to be competitive (which yours is) so you may also have a shot there. Newcastle weighs UKCAT heavily, so assuming you're above their threshold you should at least get an interview.

However, to have to look up whether these universities will accept you with predicted grades. I know King's does, but I'm unsure as to whether the rest do.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Newcastle and Warwick (if you meet their work experience requirements) are safe choices and you are likely to get an interview with your UKCAT score. Southampton is another safe choice if you have at least a B at a-level chemistry (i think) or if you can show that your degree had a significant amount of chemistry in it. All of these accept applications with predicted university grades and (besides chemistry at Southampton) do not care for your A-level results.
Original post by chocolover67912

This isn't true. You don't necessarily even need A-level Chemistry/a science undergrad degree.

OP - look at Newcastle if you haven't already; they don't consider A-levels or GCSEs. As Volibear said, though, there are very few GEM courses in the country, so it really wouldn't have been very difficult to look up the course requirements for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending