The Student Room Group

Help on probability Q

I'm normally alright with probabilities, but this one I just can't get my head around it, any help would be appreciated!

Here is the question: The probability that Rob wakes up early at the weekend on either a Saturday or a Sunday but not both is 0.42.
The probability that he wakes up early is the same on both Saturday and Sunday.
What are the two possible answers for the probability of him waking up late on one of the days?

Also, helps on drawing the tree diagram would be appreciated.
Okay. Let's start with what you are given. I see that you have realised to draw a tree diagram. What I want you to think about is that the question says the probability of waking early on EITHER saturday or sunday BUT NOT BOTH is 0.42.... This means what? What will the probability be on waking up early on both days? Remember that probability is always out of 1. After you do this, we can continue.
Reply 2
Probability tsr.PNG hope this helps

Original post by Eldoxxy
I'm normally alright with probabilities, but this one I just can't get my head around it, any help would be appreciated!

Here is the question: The probability that Rob wakes up early at the weekend on either a Saturday or a Sunday but not both is 0.42.
The probability that he wakes up early is the same on both Saturday and Sunday.
What are the two possible answers for the probability of him waking up late on one of the days?

Also, helps on drawing the tree diagram would be appreciated.
Reply 3
Original post by bpn365
Probability tsr.PNG hope this helps

That's great!
Thanks a lot for the tree diagram!

Quick Reply

Latest