Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Robot Wars Series 10 Discussion Thread Watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Robot Wars is back in a week's time: Sunday the 22nd of October, 8 PM! :excited:

Trailer (contains some battle clips, so spoiler warning!)

Seems like there's been some big changes to the format, as well as to the weapon rules, and the weight restrictions for walkers and shufflers... the downside is that apparently there are only 30 competing robots this time, a record low (even S1 had 33, excluding stock robots), I was hoping they'd have more, not fewer. Yet, there are supposedly going to be more episodes (8, up from 6) - though I'm guessing two of those will be specials. More than anything, I'm just glad to see it get another series, and shaking up the format should hopefully prevent it getting too repetitive.

Share your excitement, predictions or anything else here - apart from pre-air spoilers of any battle results. Not in my thread. :security:
    • Very Important Poster

I thought the last series was ok and the celebrity one had the vertical spinner design which looked a bit lethal. Hope there are more newer robots this time rather than just repeats.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I thought the last series was ok and the celebrity one had the vertical spinner design which looked a bit lethal. Hope there are more newer robots this time rather than just repeats.
    I won't mention any robot's names in case people don't want them spoiled, but the full lineups for the first two episodes have been revealed. And Heat 2 is apparently the first heat ever in all 10 series not to feature a single new robot.

Again, I feel that's a downside of having fewer robots in each heat, obviously the experienced teams are going to qualify (whether it's due to popularity, or because they're simply better than the first time entries). On the other hand, I guess sticking a load of big guns into one heat does help to make sure that the same few don't keep making it to the finals, as was more likely to happen with the original run's seeding system. Maybe the so-far unannounced heats will have more newbies.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I won't mention any robot's names in case people don't want them spoiled, but the full lineups for the first two episodes have been revealed. And Heat 2 is apparently the first heat ever in all 10 series not to feature a single new robot.

Again, I feel that's a downside of having fewer robots in each heat, obviously the experienced teams are going to qualify (whether it's due to popularity, or because they're simply better than the first time entries). On the other hand, I guess sticking a load of big guns into one heat does help to make sure that the same few don't keep making it to the finals, as was more likely to happen with the original run's seeding system. Maybe the so-far unannounced heats will have more newbies.
    I havent looked, but I like the fact the series is fast. Its watchable but not gripping. I suppose they accept the old ones because they dont have enough new entries.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    First episode tonight! :excited: Here's the lineup, along with my thoughts (the robot I WANT to win in italics, the robot I EXPECT to win in bold):

Spoilers for tonight's competing robots, obviously
    Apocalypse - Looks like a tougher version of Splinter, though three weapons aren't likely to be as powerful as one big one.

Apollo - Former champion, powerful flipper, and no horizontal spinners to bash them about in this heat. I think they'll make this look easy.

Behemoth - They were unlucky last year with that experimental weapon. They've always been unlucky. Nice to see the axe return this time!

Donald Thump - Obviously there for a laugh, but having said that, their vertical spinning bar looks like it could pack a punch!

Sabretooth - The team FINALLY won their first battle last year, and this year's version looks better still. Likely the biggest threat to the flippers.

The Swarm - Four clusterbots. Should be interesting, but with each being 1/4 of the weight of the other competitors, I can't see them winning.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    :tumble: And there was me, avoiding TSR for hours because I was late watching it and didn't want spoilers...

Heat 1 spoilers
    My predictions aren't off to a bad start this year! Figured that the experienced flippers and Sabertooth would be the Top 3; didn't expect Behemoth to win the heat, but I'm very glad they did. The heat final was FANTASTIC. :coma:

So far, I'm liking the new format a lot! Apart from the reduction in competing robots as a result of the opening melees only having 3 teams instead of 4. :moon: Fog of war is an interesting new hazard, and I loved the spikes launching into orbit. :rofl: And a non-timed 10 robot free-for-all to decide the wildcard is far more interesting than just letting the judges pick from the heat runners up. A good start to the series, IMO.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Added 'discussion thread' to the title. Because, seriously, people of TSR, you are allowed to post here. :puppyeyes:
    • Very Important Poster

Added 'discussion thread' to the title. Because, seriously, people of TSR, you are allowed to post here. :puppyeyes:
    No worries. I watched it.
    Dr came off as a real prat imo.
    I didnt pay much attention to behemoth owner storming off last time and against those young girls as well. Proper funny.
    The long termers seem a bit addicted i.e its the fame?
    Funny to see what happened in the end and why the winners won.
    Swarm was interesting, but reminded me of that idea of 100 duck sized horses and 1 horse sized duck....

I quite fancy that vertical spinner from the celebrity series as i think thats the only weapon that can do damage to a well angled flipper i.e break through the armour.

Didnt enjoy this episode much.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    No worries. I watched it.
    I knew I could rely on you. :cry2:

Dr came off as a real prat imo.
    Dr? :confused:

I didnt pay much attention to behemoth owner storming off last time and against those young girls as well. Proper funny.
    The long termers seem a bit addicted i.e its the fame?
    I thought it was quite clear that he was annoyed with his teammates for picking the grabbing weapon, as opposed to the Cherub team for beating him despite being kids. While not the most professional of behavior, he didn't deserve the media taking it out of context. But that's what they do, I guess. :sigh:

For a lot of the old teams, it is their main hobby - Behemoth in particular has never stopped competing since 1998, taking part in the live shows the whole time the series was off TV. Whereas Sabertooth's team captain Gabriel finally got a taste of victory last year after entering three times and going out in the first round (despite having some fantastic looking robots, they all suffered technical issues of some sort).

Swarm was interesting, but reminded me of that idea of 100 duck sized horses and 1 horse sized duck....
    Definitely. I think two clusterbots (each half the maximum weight) is really as far as you can take the idea before they're too small to be effective... though that spinner of theirs was surprisingly decent. Maybe having four of those instead of completely different designs for each could have worked.
    • Very Important Poster

I knew I could rely on you. :cry2:

Dr? :confused:

I thought it was quite clear that he was annoyed with his teammates for picking the grabbing weapon, as opposed to the Cherub team for beating him despite being kids. While not the most professional of behavior, he didn't deserve the media taking it out of context. But that's what they do, I guess. :sigh:

For a lot of the old teams, it is their main hobby - Behemoth in particular has never stopped competing since 1998, taking part in the live shows the whole time the series was off TV. Whereas Sabertooth's team captain Gabriel finally got a taste of victory last year after entering three times and going out in the first round (despite having some fantastic looking robots, they all suffered technical issues of some sort).

Definitely. I think two clusterbots (each half the maximum weight) is really as far as you can take the idea before they're too small to be effective... though that spinner of theirs was surprisingly decent. Maybe having four of those instead of completely different designs for each could have worked.
    The guy with the Donald Trump impersonation was a doctor.

The clusterbot might have worked with 4 spinners. if the spinner was capable of doing damage, but not enough power hence they were never going to win. I thought it was more so they could appear on RW and all have something to control.

I cant remember behemoth and why he stormed out last time. Its a boring robot. Apollo was ood because of the power of the flipper, almost felt unfair. He was in disbelief at the end.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    The guy with the Donald Trump impersonation was a doctor.
    Ah yes, of course.

I cant remember behemoth and why he stormed out last time. Its a boring robot. Apollo was ood because of the power of the flipper, almost felt unfair. He was in disbelief at the end.
    I was always indifferent about Behemoth back when the original 90s - early 2000s run was still airing, but I think it's the fact that they've kept at it for so long with the same design (whereas most other teams have left, or gone for a completely different design) which has won me over in more recent years. Apollo certainly has the better flipper, but aggression, control and good use of the arena hazards have always been just as important. I can't say anything struck me as unfair or controversial about that fight.
    • Very Important Poster

Ah yes, of course.

I was always indifferent about Behemoth back when the original 90s - early 2000s run was still airing, but I think it's the fact that they've kept at it for so long with the same design (whereas most other teams have left, or gone for a completely different design) which has won me over in more recent years. Apollo certainly has the better flipper, but aggression, control and good use of the arena hazards have always been just as important. I can't say anything struck me as unfair or controversial about that fight.
    Nothing unfair the point was there was only one way they would lose and thats by what they did.

Tbh I'd rather watch Time Commanders.

Oh and axe bots never work. the guy with the vertical spinner if its in this years is my favourite to win because he has an actual weapon.

ReputationRep:
    Well that was reasonably entertaining. I'm surprised people make axe robots now, they just don't work.

Impressive flipper on Apollo, one of the best since Chaos 2 and Wheelie Big Cheese.

I think I missed Behemoth storming out before. Just can't see them winning a series.

Completely agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    We're team Track-Tion, and we'll be appearing in episode 3 We've been asked by a member of the ST here if we'd consider reviewing each episode from our point of view as a participating team and we thought it might be interesting so we're giving it a try
    Warning: Contains episode 1 spoilers!
    Spoiler:
    Show

Having filmed this in May we were very excited to finally have the first episode coming out. Overall, we thought the result was quite unexpected, and the fights were very interesting-especially seeing the various new tactics brought in by teams this year (we were obsessive fans watching last series!) Swarm having more than the usual 2 clusterbots was probably the most radical change, but it wasn't terrible, although it wasn't the most effective technique either. We really liked the fact there was more air time for the fights and less from Angela and Dara (because that's what it's all about isn't it?) but getting to know them while they were getting involved with the teams was also a really enjoyable part of filming though so we were glad it hadn't been completely cut. The funniest moment of the episode for us was when the arena spikes jumped out of the floor (it was much funnier in real life we promise) and were used by sabretooth as a weapon against the swarm. There was quite a delay before the next fight as they were fixed
    Overall we give this episode a 7/10. It was a nice start to the series, but the episodes to come are definitely filled with some amazing moments as well and we are confident you will enjoy them even more than this one!

If you have any questions let us know and if we're allowed to answer then we will We'll be back early next week with our review on episode 2 (if you want it)!
    Hope you enjoyed episode 1!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Team Track-Tion)
    Hey guys,
    We're team Track-Tion, and we'll be appearing in episode 3 We've been asked by a member of the ST here if we'd consider reviewing each episode from our point of view as a participating team and we thought it might be interesting so we're giving it a try
    Spoiler:
    Show

Having filmed this in May we were very excited to finally have the first episode coming out. Overall, we thought the result was quite unexpected, and the fights were very interesting-especially seeing the various new tactics brought in by teams this year (we were obsessive fans watching last series!) Swarm having more than the usual 2 clusterbots was probably the most radical change, but it wasn't terrible, although it wasn't the most effective technique either. We really liked the fact there was more air time for the fights and less from Angela and Dara (because that's what it's all about isn't it?) but getting to know them while they were getting involved with the teams was also a really enjoyable part of filming though so we were glad it hadn't been completely cut. The funniest moment of the episode for us was when the arena spikes jumped out of the floor (it was much funnier in real life we promise) and were used by sabretooth as a weapon against the swarm. There was quite a delay before the next fight as they were fixed
    Overall we give this episode a 7/10. It was a nice start to the series, but the episodes to come are definitely filled with some amazing moments as well and we are confident you will enjoy them even more than this one!

If you have any questions let us know and if we're allowed to answer then we will We'll be back early next week with our review on episode 2 (if you want it)!
    Flip me! A competitor :adore:

So... an ST member you say... :beard:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Team Track-Tion)
    Hey guys,
    Spoiler:
    Show

Thank you for dropping by and making my thread a thousand times more interesting than it otherwise would have been. I look forward to seeing your robot in (tr)action! I loved this episode, and hearing from you that the best is yet to come for this series has me really excited. I agree that more time for the battles was a nice change.

One thing that I'm surprised they didn't fix after the last series is those blind spots in the arena, where the teams are having to stand up flat against the glass in order to get even the slightest glimpse of their own machines. I mean, I suppose there's not much that CAN be done now that it's all been constructed, but it can't be a lot of fun for the drivers.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for dropping by and making my thread a thousand times more interesting than it otherwise would have been. I look forward to seeing your robot in (tr)action! I loved this episode, and hearing from you that the best is yet to come for this series has me really excited. I agree that more time for the battles was a nice change.

One thing that I'm surprised they didn't fix after the last series is those blind spots in the arena, where the teams are having to stand up flat against the glass in order to get even the slightest glimpse of their own machines. I mean, I suppose there's not much that CAN be done now that it's all been constructed, but it can't be a lot of fun for the drivers.
    Those blind spots are crazy. Could add a tv screen in the control pods so they can see that way via a top down static camera?
    I think in this episode the camera crew zoomed out a little so you got to see a little more while still feeling immersed in the action?

I'm very excited for episode 2.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    As before then, Heat 2's lineup, along with my thoughts (the robot I WANT to win in italics, the robot I EXPECT to win in bold):

Spoilers for tonight's competing robots, obviously
    Aftershock - Fantastic vertical disc, and I love the new design of the front of the robot! But it's up against old foes here.

Big Nipper - Great to see them back again. The lifting claws are really unique, and hopefully the disc will be good too.

Carbide - Wiped the floor with everyone last year, including many of this heat's teams. Should win easily.

Crackers 'n' Smash - While larger and heavier than The Swarm bots, they still look outclassed in this all-star heat...

Eruption - A personal favourite, and I'd like to see it flip its way into the Top 3 and that 10-way robot battle, at the very least.

Gabriel 2 - Tougher than it looks, and difficult for virtually all kinds of robot to deal with, so you never know! :p:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed that last week's battle recaps are up on the BBC's Youtube page:

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Gabriel reminds me of stinger from s4 of the original run - gangly, ridiculous but a pain to deal with
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.