The Student Room Group

Robot Wars Series 10 Discussion Thread

Robot Wars is back in a week's time: Sunday the 22nd of October, 8 PM! :excited:

Trailer (contains some battle clips, so spoiler warning!)
[video="youtube;eUOBR85x-i4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUOBR85x-i4[/video]

Seems like there's been some big changes to the format, as well as to the weapon rules, and the weight restrictions for walkers and shufflers... the downside is that apparently there are only 30 competing robots this time, a record low (even S1 had 33, excluding stock robots), I was hoping they'd have more, not fewer. :frown: Yet, there are supposedly going to be more episodes (8, up from 6) - though I'm guessing two of those will be specials. More than anything, I'm just glad to see it get another series, and shaking up the format should hopefully prevent it getting too repetitive.

Share your excitement, predictions or anything else here - apart from pre-air spoilers of any battle results. Not in my thread. :security:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I thought the last series was ok and the celebrity one had the vertical spinner design which looked a bit lethal. Hope there are more newer robots this time rather than just repeats.
Original post by 999tigger
I thought the last series was ok and the celebrity one had the vertical spinner design which looked a bit lethal. Hope there are more newer robots this time rather than just repeats.

I won't mention any robot's names in case people don't want them spoiled, but the full lineups for the first two episodes have been revealed. And Heat 2 is apparently the first heat ever in all 10 series not to feature a single new robot.

Again, I feel that's a downside of having fewer robots in each heat, obviously the experienced teams are going to qualify (whether it's due to popularity, or because they're simply better than the first time entries). On the other hand, I guess sticking a load of big guns into one heat does help to make sure that the same few don't keep making it to the finals, as was more likely to happen with the original run's seeding system. Maybe the so-far unannounced heats will have more newbies.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I won't mention any robot's names in case people don't want them spoiled, but the full lineups for the first two episodes have been revealed. And Heat 2 is apparently the first heat ever in all 10 series not to feature a single new robot.

Again, I feel that's a downside of having fewer robots in each heat, obviously the experienced teams are going to qualify (whether it's due to popularity, or because they're simply better than the first time entries). On the other hand, I guess sticking a load of big guns into one heat does help to make sure that the same few don't keep making it to the finals, as was more likely to happen with the original run's seeding system. Maybe the so-far unannounced heats will have more newbies.

I havent looked, but I like the fact the series is fast. Its watchable but not gripping. I suppose they accept the old ones because they dont have enough new entries.
First episode tonight! :excited: Here's the lineup, along with my thoughts (the robot I WANT to win in italics, the robot I EXPECT to win in bold):

Spoilers for tonight's competing robots, obviously

(edited 6 years ago)
:tumble: And there was me, avoiding TSR for hours because I was late watching it and didn't want spoilers...

1 Heat spoilers

Added 'discussion thread' to the title. Because, seriously, people of TSR, you are allowed to post here. :puppyeyes:
Added 'discussion thread' to the title. Because, seriously, people of TSR, you are allowed to post here. :puppyeyes:

No worries. I watched it.
Dr came off as a real prat imo.
I didnt pay much attention to behemoth owner storming off last time and against those young girls as well. Proper funny.
The long termers seem a bit addicted i.e its the fame?
Funny to see what happened in the end and why the winners won.
Swarm was interesting, but reminded me of that idea of 100 duck sized horses and 1 horse sized duck....

I quite fancy that vertical spinner from the celebrity series as i think thats the only weapon that can do damage to a well angled flipper i.e break through the armour.

Didnt enjoy this episode much.
No worries. I watched it.

I knew I could rely on you. :cry2:

Dr came off as a real prat imo.

Dr? :confused:

I didnt pay much attention to behemoth owner storming off last time and against those young girls as well. Proper funny.
The long termers seem a bit addicted i.e its the fame?

I thought it was quite clear that he was annoyed with his teammates for picking the grabbing weapon, as opposed to the Cherub team for beating him despite being kids. While not the most professional of behavior, he didn't deserve the media taking it out of context. But that's what they do, I guess. :sigh:

For a lot of the old teams, it is their main hobby - Behemoth in particular has never stopped competing since 1998, taking part in the live shows the whole time the series was off TV. Whereas Sabertooth's team captain Gabriel finally got a taste of victory last year after entering three times and going out in the first round (despite having some fantastic looking robots, they all suffered technical issues of some sort).

Swarm was interesting, but reminded me of that idea of 100 duck sized horses and 1 horse sized duck....

Definitely. I think two clusterbots (each half the maximum weight) is really as far as you can take the idea before they're too small to be effective... though that spinner of theirs was surprisingly decent. Maybe having four of those instead of completely different designs for each could have worked.
I knew I could rely on you. :cry2:

Dr? :confused:

I thought it was quite clear that he was annoyed with his teammates for picking the grabbing weapon, as opposed to the Cherub team for beating him despite being kids. While not the most professional of behavior, he didn't deserve the media taking it out of context. But that's what they do, I guess. :sigh:

For a lot of the old teams, it is their main hobby - Behemoth in particular has never stopped competing since 1998, taking part in the live shows the whole time the series was off TV. Whereas Sabertooth's team captain Gabriel finally got a taste of victory last year after entering three times and going out in the first round (despite having some fantastic looking robots, they all suffered technical issues of some sort).

Definitely. I think two clusterbots (each half the maximum weight) is really as far as you can take the idea before they're too small to be effective... though that spinner of theirs was surprisingly decent. Maybe having four of those instead of completely different designs for each could have worked.

The guy with the Donald Trump impersonation was a doctor.

The clusterbot might have worked with 4 spinners. if the spinner was capable of doing damage, but not enough power hence they were never going to win. I thought it was more so they could appear on RW and all have something to control.

I cant remember behemoth and why he stormed out last time. Its a boring robot. Apollo was ood because of the power of the flipper, almost felt unfair. He was in disbelief at the end.
The guy with the Donald Trump impersonation was a doctor.

Ah yes, of course. :colondollar:

I cant remember behemoth and why he stormed out last time. Its a boring robot. Apollo was ood because of the power of the flipper, almost felt unfair. He was in disbelief at the end.

I was always indifferent about Behemoth back when the original 90s - early 2000s run was still airing, but I think it's the fact that they've kept at it for so long with the same design (whereas most other teams have left, or gone for a completely different design) which has won me over in more recent years. Apollo certainly has the better flipper, but aggression, control and good use of the arena hazards have always been just as important. I can't say anything struck me as unfair or controversial about that fight.
Ah yes, of course. :colondollar:

I was always indifferent about Behemoth back when the original 90s - early 2000s run was still airing, but I think it's the fact that they've kept at it for so long with the same design (whereas most other teams have left, or gone for a completely different design) which has won me over in more recent years. Apollo certainly has the better flipper, but aggression, control and good use of the arena hazards have always been just as important. I can't say anything struck me as unfair or controversial about that fight.

Nothing unfair the point was there was only one way they would lose and thats by what they did.

Tbh I'd rather watch Time Commanders.

Oh and axe bots never work. the guy with the vertical spinner if its in this years is my favourite to win because he has an actual weapon.
Reply 12
Well that was reasonably entertaining. I'm surprised people make axe robots now, they just don't work.

Impressive flipper on Apollo, one of the best since Chaos 2 and Wheelie Big Cheese.

I think I missed Behemoth storming out before. Just can't see them winning a series.

Completely agree with this.
Hey guys,
We're team Track-Tion, and we'll be appearing in episode 3 :smile: We've been asked by a member of the ST here if we'd consider reviewing each episode from our point of view as a participating team and we thought it might be interesting so we're giving it a try :smile:
Warning: Contains episode 1 spoilers!

Spoiler

If you have any questions let us know and if we're allowed to answer then we will :smile: We'll be back early next week with our review on episode 2 (if you want it)!
Hope you enjoyed episode 1!
Reply 14
Original post by Team Track-Tion
Hey guys,
We're team Track-Tion, and we'll be appearing in episode 3 :smile: We've been asked by a member of the ST here if we'd consider reviewing each episode from our point of view as a participating team and we thought it might be interesting so we're giving it a try :smile:

Spoiler

If you have any questions let us know and if we're allowed to answer then we will :smile: We'll be back early next week with our review on episode 2 (if you want it)!

Flip me! A competitor :adore:

So... an ST member you say... :beard:
Original post by Team Track-Tion
Hey guys,

Spoiler

Thank you for dropping by and making my thread a thousand times more interesting than it otherwise would have been. :colondollar: I look forward to seeing your robot in (tr)action! :biggrin: I loved this episode, and hearing from you that the best is yet to come for this series has me really excited. I agree that more time for the battles was a nice change.

One thing that I'm surprised they didn't fix after the last series is those blind spots in the arena, where the teams are having to stand up flat against the glass in order to get even the slightest glimpse of their own machines. I mean, I suppose there's not much that CAN be done now that it's all been constructed, but it can't be a lot of fun for the drivers.
Reply 16
Thank you for dropping by and making my thread a thousand times more interesting than it otherwise would have been. :colondollar: I look forward to seeing your robot in (tr)action! :biggrin: I loved this episode, and hearing from you that the best is yet to come for this series has me really excited. I agree that more time for the battles was a nice change.

One thing that I'm surprised they didn't fix after the last series is those blind spots in the arena, where the teams are having to stand up flat against the glass in order to get even the slightest glimpse of their own machines. I mean, I suppose there's not much that CAN be done now that it's all been constructed, but it can't be a lot of fun for the drivers.

Those blind spots are crazy. Could add a tv screen in the control pods so they can see that way via a top down static camera?
I think in this episode the camera crew zoomed out a little so you got to see a little more while still feeling immersed in the action?

I'm very excited for episode 2.
As before then, Heat 2's lineup, along with my thoughts (the robot I WANT to win in italics, the robot I EXPECT to win in bold):

Spoilers for tonight's competing robots, obviously

Just noticed that last week's battle recaps are up on the BBC's Youtube page:

[video="youtube;Y4Dr1rDBI3E"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Dr1rDBI3E[/video]
Gabriel reminds me of stinger from s4 of the original run - gangly, ridiculous but a pain to deal with

Quick Reply

Latest