The Student Room Group

8 A* and 3 A for GCSE 2017 - Any help needed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by michael08
I am just lost, my teacher is very weird... cant really ask her. I am struggling on:
1) What the exam question could be like about theme and characters like how i'm tested on theme/character (Doing AQA 9-1 in Macbeth,A christmas carrol and An Inspector calls)
2) When i make my theme/character quotes what needs to be on them. Like I was thinking for example having a theme analysis A3 sheet, putting a quote about that theme and extending off that quote have things like context and language or form or structure or whatever you need in a real exam. What will i need branching off the quotes on my theme and how will i do this?
3) I looked at mr bruff but he doesnt have theme/character videos on Macbeth so how shall i get my information that will branch off my quotes on my theme analysis A3 sheet. There's alot of things that need to brach of this and the cgp book doesnt cover it

hi,

1. I didn't do the same books as you however for Macbeth you will be given a text from the play and there will be a question about the theme or character and for the questions without an extract, there will be a choice of two questions and usually it would be one theme related question and one character related question, I'm guessing that would be for An Inspector Calls however I am not 100% certain.

2. For the theme quotation it is good to understand it to explain it by using ideas for language and form and then add context to it - start with the theme then branch off into quotes and then explain and add context too.

3. You could use:

https://www.shmoop.com/macbeth/literary-devices.html

there are also other websites such as Sparknotes and cliff notes

Also it would be good to use analysis and notes made from school. x
Reply 41
Original post by savage8
I am doing triple science 9-1 aqa, and find it hard to memorise all the content for Biology. What is the most efficient way of memorizing it? Thank you.

It depends on how you like to revise - I focused on making notes from the CGP revision guide however this doesn't help everyone.

Flashcards are also a good idea however if you do use this, be sure to start them early because they can take a long time and you may not even use them after writing them (this happened to me).

Another way of making flashcards more efficiently is to use Quizlet to make your own online flashcards or find others that have made them already. x
Reply 42
Original post by anisa3377
Hey,
i have my mocks coming up and my first exam will be English literature paper 1, which will be on Macbeth and Frankenstein, and then the next day i have my Maths paper 1, can you give me tips on how to prepare, and really and truly i havent fully started revising, and my exams tomorrow, but when i dont revise i do get good grades for english, but still any tips? and can you give style exam questions that may come up, such as the subjects im doing are:
computer science
biology
physics
chemistry
english language/literature
psychology
religious studies
french

Hi,

I hope your mocks went okay.

For maths it is helpful to do questions from the CGP practice questions guide and also to do sample papers/past papers online.

For English, making flashcards/mindmaps on key quotations to memorise will help you establish at least one quote per character and theme. It is also important to learn the context of the book including info about the author and how this could impact the writing.
Reply 43
Original post by username3727160
How did you have the motivation? Honestly most days I just cba, but I need to work; otherwise it's another day wasted and another day closer to my GCSE's.
At the moment I am achieving 5,5,6,6,7,7,7,8,8 but at the end I want 10 7/8's.

How did you revise for the sciences? Yeah, those are the 6,6. Atm for science I am just working my way through the relevant textbooks. (Double sci.)

Maths? I can't even. Got a 5, need at the least a 6, want a 7. I've got a tutor and that is helping but how else can I get the 7?

In the future I want to study History or Law at a Russel Group uni, and am probably taking Law, History and English at A- Level.

I am in Year 10, starting year 11 in September. It's getting closer!

Please, please help me! Thanks dude. :-)

I got motivation from my awful mock result - after that I revised very hard.

For the sciences I used the CGP revision guide to make notes on the whole syllabus and after I had done that, I moved onto past papers to consolidate my revision.

For maths, it helped me to go through past papers and sample papers - however there weren't resources at the time so I bought the CGP revision guides for maths including the example exam questions and grade 9 style questions and worked through those too.

Good luck!
Reply 44
I got 9’s in English lit, English Lang, and maths, aswell as 6A*s and 1 A - anyone need help?
Original post by Emily1609
Hi, I am currently in Year 12 studying A-Levels, was just wondering if anyone doing their GCSE's next year wanted any revision/study tips?

I did the 9-1 Maths (Edexcel) and English (AQA)

When did you start revising? :smile: I'm so worried as I haven't started properly but do have a lot of my notes already made from last year/EUT's - I just need to make some more. Saying that I have just had mocks so have been revising for them but we only have over 3 months left and now I'm nervous! Also what did you take for A-level. Thanks :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by Lydia.Mx
When did you start revising? :smile: I'm so worried as I haven't started properly but do have a lot of my notes already made from last year/EUT's - I just need to make some more. Saying that I have just had mocks so have been revising for them but we only have over 3 months left and now I'm nervous! Also what did you take for A-level. Thanks :smile:

Hi I started around after the spring half term. Don't worry! You have plenty of time - revision will be fine as long as you stay motivated to revise so sometimes starting early for some people isn't always the best idea.

You could start off by making a small amount of notes for each subject but then in a few weeks start doing a heavier amount of revision.

A timetable could help?
Does anyone remember the inspector calls AQA English Lit Question of 2017 exams as I’m about to do it for my mock and I don’t know the question.
Original post by emmmm123
Hi, I am currently in Year 12 studying A-Levels, was just wondering if anyone doing their GCSE's next year wanted any revision/study tips?

Were your results mock results good and how to did cram for mocks.
Hi I started around after the spring half term. Don't worry! You have plenty of time - revision will be fine as long as you stay motivated to revise so sometimes starting early for some people isn't always the best idea.

You could start off by making a small amount of notes for each subject but then in a few weeks start doing a heavier amount of revision.

A timetable could help?

Hi, thanks for the reply! Okay that makes me feel a lot more reassured, I am starting to do heavy revision now so hopefully it all turns out okay haha. Yeah that's true, I don't want to burn out but I don't want to start too late!
That's a really good idea, thank you!! Yes I have one but I'm really bad at sticking to it - whoops! :frown:
What did you find helpful for science? In my last test i got a 5 but I’m really set on getting a 7.
Reply 51
Original post by Grimey833
What did you find helpful for science? In my last test i got a 5 but I’m really set on getting a 7.

Cgp textbooks for writing notes and flashcards and then past papers to consolidate by also going through the mark scheme

How would you recommend me a level 4 student in english language and english literature, to improve myself, as of now Mr Bruff, Mr Salles and the other youtubers just aint working for English Language.

Please Respond ASAP, thanks.
Reply 53
Original post by Limaj_lra
How would you recommend me a level 4 student in english language and english literature, to improve myself, as of now Mr Bruff, Mr Salles and the other youtubers just aint working for English Language.

Please Respond ASAP, thanks.

For English language, you could use the CGP textbooks and memorise the structure/techniques for answering each question. After, just lots of practice using past papers or sample papers...
Reply 54
I need help with English literature I'm in yr10 and I have mocks on power and conflict,Macbeth.i don't know how to revise.I'm also doing triple science and I need good grades
Original post by eudokias
Im resitting maths to improve my grade (preferably get an A/A*) any tips for maths revision?

Hello, I am studying privately for Maths and English equivalent test to begin teaching training. Could you help me with any tips?
Reply 56
How did you revise science. I want to get an 8 at least. But i got a 6 in these mocks and still haven't understood all the content
Reply 57
At this time, how would you revise science. I am aiming for an 8, but still sitting on a 6 in all sciences.
For English language, you could use the CGP textbooks and memorise the structure/techniques for answering each question. After, just lots of practice using past papers or sample papers...

can i please get help going over the following i do EDEXCEL: (CP12A) particles and density, (CP12B) Energy and changes of state, (CP12C) energy calculations
If anyone has studied either heroes or inspector calls, could you please tell me some A* points I could make?

I would really appreciate it as my panicky mindset has stopped me from being able to work properly these days :/

Quick Reply

Latest