Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So who is everyone applying to and how is everyone getting on?

ReputationRep:
    I have a verbal offer for a Graduate Actuarual role for 2018

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamjamjamT)
    I have a verbal offer for a Graduate Actuarual role for 2018
    I now have a second offer of a Graduate Actuarial role for September 2018

ReputationRep:
    I find video interviews so dehumanizing. My answers tend to be like 30 seconds, which makes it awkward when im given 2 minutes to say something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    I find video interviews so dehumanizing. My answers tend to be like 30 seconds, which makes it awkward when im given 2 minutes to say something

Try to write out answers to the most common competency questions and practice them until you can rattle them off. Practice speaking at different speeds until you find one that is comfortable and makes your answers long enough.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Which is the best company to work for as an Actuarial Trainee? Choose from Bank of England, Mazars, APR, Zurich and Willis Towers Watson and why?

ReputationRep:
    Try to write out answers to the most common competency questions and practice them until you can rattle them off. Practice speaking at different speeds until you find one that is comfortable and makes your answers long enough.
    Good luck.
    what about your facial expressions, do you smile or look serious ? do you say thank you at the end of your answer ?

Its hard to communicate this way, ive had in person interviews and its more natural, because you can pivot the answer and you have follow up questions which give you more time to make your point

ReputationRep:
    what about your facial expressions, do you smile or look serious ? do you say thank you at the end of your answer ?

Its hard to communicate this way, ive had in person interviews and its more natural, because you can pivot the answer and you have follow up questions which give you more time to make your point

I think it is best to keep a neutral facial expression because you do not want to be too serious or too smiley. I bombed my first video interview but since then I have done so much better every time I do one. As I said, try to know your answers well enough for almost any competency question so you can rattle them off without hesitating and if you do get a strange question you just have to try and answer it as best you can. One tip I was given was that if I did not know an answer was to say I don't know the answer but I promise you I will know it by the next time we speak. I guess it is better to be honest than try and wing the answer???
    Who are you applying to and how are you getting on?

ReputationRep:
    OP Where did you get offers from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbsjohnz)
    OP Where did you get offers from?
    Why do you ask? Am kinda wary of posting the firms just in case.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you ask? Am kinda wary of posting the firms just in case.
    Just interested, I have applied to some firms and I have been waiting for a while. Want to know how you got offers so quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Just interested, I have applied to some firms and I have been waiting for a while. Want to know how you got offers so quickly.
    I applied to most of them in September and October and have done 2 Assessment Centres, having rejected one.
    Tell me who you have applied to and I might be able to tell you how far their process is along.
    Although I have two offers I have had rejections as well.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to most of them in September and October and have done 2 Assessment Centres, having rejected one.
    Tell me who you have applied to and I might be able to tell you how far their process is along.
    Although I have two offers I have had rejections as well.
    I have just sent a PM.

ReputationRep:
    I have just sent a PM.
    Replied.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done a telephone interview with Barnett Waddingham? Any useful tips?

ReputationRep:
    Do you remember what came up in the video interview?

ReputationRep:
    Do you remember what came up in the video interview?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've just accepted an offer of a graduate actuarial role to start this coming August, and I thought I'd try and use the time until then productively by just revisiting and revising some techniques and topics which might be useful to me when starting out, just to get my maths 'chops' in shape, as it were!

Can anybody recommend material which would beneficial to look over? What am I likely to use a lot of initially?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend you learn how to write code in SAS, SQL, R, Python or Excel VBA. It is probably more useful to senior actuaries.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.