The Student Room Group

UEA vs University of York for Actuarial Science

Hi,

I have just received offers for all of my UCAS applications, I will leave the details of them all below:

1) University of York - ABB (Contextual - reduced from AAA)
2) University of East Anglia, UEA, - BBB (Contextual - reduced from AAB)
3) University of Leicester - BBC (Contextual - reduced from ABB)
4) University of Essex - BCC (Contextual - reduced from BBB)
5) University of Kent - CCC (Foundation Year).

I am currently thinking of firming York and putting UEA as my insurance. Personally, I think that the year in industry is invaluable for my career path and could allow me to secure a graduate role before graduation.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about either the universities or the courses I have applied to at each of them, as I don't really know how highly they rank for Actuarial Science in the UK. (In terms of which ones will provide me a better education).

In terms of comparing courses, they all provide me 6 exemptions for IFoA exams. The course at UEA has more optional modules than York but mainly about coding from what I have read, which I wouldn't necessarily be bothered missing out on if I go to York.

Mainly I am drawn to York because of its prestige as a Russell group and I have always looked at it as a university I would like to go to before I applied and chose to pursue an Actuarial Science degree. I've been to the area on holiday and l'd prefer to live there over Norwich but I was more concerned about the quality of education at each of my offers.

Another factor is I know the lecturers at UEA have both been actuaries for 20-30 years so they obviously know the course and the day to day role of actuaries inside out. Where as I don't yet know much about the course lecturers at York.

I don't know so much about either of the other universities as I haven't researched around them as much.

If anyone has any advice or information to share I would be extremely grateful!
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Jieay20
Hi,

I have just received offers for all of my UCAS applications, I will leave the details of them all below:

1) University of York - ABB (Contextual - reduced from AAA)
2) University of East Anglia, UEA, - BBB (Contextual - reduced from AAB)
3) University of Leicester - BBC (Contextual - reduced from ABB)
4) University of Essex - BCC (Contextual - reduced from BBB)
5) University of Kent - CCC (Foundation Year).

I am currently thinking of firming York and putting UEA as my insurance. Personally, I think that the year in industry is invaluable for my career path and could allow me to secure a graduate role before graduation.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about either the universities or the courses I have applied to at each of them, as I don't really know how highly they rank for Actuarial Science in the UK. (In terms of which ones will provide me a better education).

In terms of comparing courses, they all provide me 6 exemptions for IFoA exams. The course at UEA has more optional modules than York but mainly about coding from what I have read, which I wouldn't necessarily be bothered missing out on if I go to York.

Mainly I am drawn to York because of its prestige as a Russell group and I have always looked at it as a university I would like to go to before I applied and chose to pursue an Actuarial Science degree. I've been to the area on holiday and l'd prefer to live there over Norwich but I was more concerned about the quality of education at each of my offers.

Another factor is I know the lecturers at UEA have both been actuaries for 20-30 years so they obviously know the course and the day to day role of actuaries inside out. Where as I don't yet know much about the course lecturers at York.

I don't know so much about either of the other universities as I haven't researched around them as much.

If anyone has any advice or information to share I would be extremely grateful!

Congratulations on all your offers ! 🤩

At Essex, Actuarial science teaches the art of turning risks into opportunities providing assessments of financial security systems, with a focus on their complexity, their mathematics, and their mechanisms. Our courses are a blend of solid mathematics, an understanding of real-world financial issues, optimisation, experimental design and computing skills.
The Actuarial Science programme at Essex meets the educational requirements of the Chartered Mathematician designation, awarded by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications.
Essex Actuarial Science Link: BSc Actuarial Science - Actuarial Science Degree | University of Essex

You are able to choose modules from a list that the department provides and this gives you the opportunity to adapt the degree to your aspirations and ambitions.👨*🎓

Its very important that you feel supported during your studies so we offer:
-The Maths Support Centre, which offers help to students on a range of mathematical problems. Throughout term-time, you can chat with lectures through mathematical problems either on a one-to-one or small group basis;
-The University has a dedicated social and study space for maths students in the School, which is situated in the STEM Centre;
-The department hosts regular events and seminars throughout the year bringing guest to discuss the industry and give advice on how they got a job in a specific institution;
-The Students union has more than 100 societies which includes a lively Actuarial Science Society, an active and social group where you can explore your interest in your subject with other students.

You will be given the opportunity between our second and third year at Essex to Study Abroad somewhere in the world or on the other hand to enrol a placement year.
This is a very exciting opportunity as Essex as partnerships with some of the best universities around the world ! 🌏🌞
Essex Abroad: Study Abroad | University of Essex
Placement at Essex: Work placements and Work Based Learning | University of Essex

We offer a world renowned programme called Essex for All that gives you the opportunity developed important skills that employers are looking for alongside our degree at no extra cost. For example if you want to learn a new language you can enrol our Languages for All programme for free. Essex for All: Essex For all: Unlocking knowledge for everyone and empowering minds for tomorrow | University of Essex

Our Students Union is top 10 in the UK for students satisfaction. Is run by students for students and once you are student at Essex you are straight away a member of our SU.
We offer more than 100 societies you can join from Taylor Swift society to a variety of cultural societies as well as 40 sports societies you can join professionally for just for fun.🏃⛹️🤸
This is a great way to make friends and to make your experience at Essex unforgettable.
Our Students Union also organizes events for the whole students community every week such us arts and crafts, animal farm, dog therapy, Thursday food market and much more, this means you will never be bored. 🤣
The SU also gives students the opportunity to have a part time job alongside our studies in our facilities on campus such us restaurant, coffee shops, night club, bar and much more.
Students Union: Choose your campus (essexstudent.com).

Being a student at Essex means having a membership for life.
Our next mini open day is 20th January and this gives you the opportunity to have a look at all the facilities and accommodations, speak with current Essex students and have a fell of what it means to be a student at the University of Essex.
Open day Link: Open Days | University of Essex

I wish you all the best and if you have any more questions just let me know! 😁
Essex Official Rep- Cat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending