The Student Room Group

Does the Big 4/Banks check your university grade declared on CV?

Hey

I am a STEM student and I am looking to apply for some internships/placements, 2018 start. I didn't do as well as I hoped in 1st year and I currently don't meet the minimum entry requirements for the majority of internships/placements.

If I were to put down a 2:1 on my CV as a predicted grade would the Big 4/major banks in IB or financial firms in consulting verify my grades with my department or just take my word for it?

My personal tutor told me [my department] doesn't get involved in internships/placements that have no relevance to [my subject].

What advice would you give me??

Thanks
Original post by SerendipityA1
Hey

I am a STEM student and I am looking to apply for some internships/placements, 2018 start. I didn't do as well as I hoped in 1st year and I currently don't meet the minimum entry requirements for the majority of internships/placements.

If I were to put down a 2:1 on my CV as a predicted grade would the Big 4/major banks in IB or financial firms in consulting verify my grades with my department or just take my word for it?

My personal tutor told me [my department] doesn't get involved in internships/placements that have no relevance to [my subject].

What advice would you give me??

Thanks

Internships I highly doubt they'll check though may request some sort of corroborating evidence. Goldman's used to require a transcript.

On a serious note a lot can change between 1sr year and the end of your degree and statistically you'll get a 2:1 so they'll likely take your word. Obviously with graduate roles they check if you met the offer conditions but no other checking as it's a cost.
Original post by SerendipityA1

No-one takes any notice of a predicted grade anyway, so why put it on there? There is no formal method to 'predict' a grade, and if a certain grade is necessary, what sort of numpty would self-declare anything less. So the whole thing is meaningless, unless it's a prediction from a tutor in a reference.
Some banks certainly do (GS, HSBC) and all three consulting firms are big about 'prestige' in that department.

The other banks I don't think so, not because they don't want to but because it's a waste of time, there's no time in the world to be checking things like these and if you don't have the grades necessary it will show itself through your application and interviews rather than a dropdown box.

Big Four definitely do not. Besides, I'm pretty sure all PwC and Deloitte have a 2:2 requirement, not 2:1. Except for their actuarial roles. E&Y has no degree requirement. Well, a requirement of a degree, so a minimum of a 3rd I guess.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending