The Student Room Group

TV Licensing...

cheeky sob's!

I bought a 52" lcd and playstation from dixons before xmas, and today I get a letter through the post:

''we have noticed that you have bought television recieving equipment in December from dixons, yet there is no TV Licence in your name for the above address.''

NOW SURELY as annoying it is for them to know what is and isnt in my house for a start, the household license covers me being I.. oh I don't know.. LIVE HERE?!

They sent a payment slip saying 'licence due; £135''. All well and good, they're trying to weed out people who arent paying, but it seems a little.. I don't know, almost intrusive of them.

They generally don't act/act very slowly on these things, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend time and money calling them to clarify that after snooping into my purchases, they could have easily checked to see a licence is held at this address, and the address is a house not flats. GRR

/rant.

the funny bit is, they had a sentence that read ''if you are registered blind, please SEE your options on the overleaf..''
Reply 1
Ignore it. Pathetic scare tactics boardering on harrasment.
Reply 2
They'll bother you because the household license isn't in your name. Just ignore the letters, don't even bother opening them and if they come round, tell them where to get off.

I hate the way they send letters out like this, inferring that separate people need separate licenses. Of course there are occasions when they do, but they're so ignorant ans lazy sending blanket letters out like this.
Reply 3
jaw
cheeky sob's!

I bought a 52" lcd and playstation from dixons before xmas, and today I get a letter through the post:

''we have noticed that you have bought television recieving equipment in December from dixons, yet there is no TV Licence in your name for the above address.''

NOW SURELY as annoying it is for them to know what is and isnt in my house for a start, the household license covers me being I.. oh I don't know.. LIVE HERE?!

They sent a payment slip saying 'licence due; £135''. All well and good, they're trying to weed out people who arent paying, but it seems a little.. I don't know, almost intrusive of them.

They generally don't act/act very slowly on these things, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend time and money calling them to clarify that after snooping into my purchases, they could have easily checked to see a licence is held at this address, and the address is a house not flats. GRR

/rant.

the funny bit is, they had a sentence that read ''if you are registered blind, please SEE your options on the overleaf..''

hahaha I love things like that...

As for the TV licence people, what bellends! I can't believe they're giving you ****! they could just carry out a bit more of a check to save themselves the hassle of writing letters, and how rude that they are perving in your shopping basket.

Also...which TV is it, recently got a 46 inch LCD sony bravia 1080p V series, it's so so sexy. Assassins creed on PS3 on good tv is amazing.
Reply 4
Thta's outrageous. Firstly, why do Dixons have the right to tell people your address? Sounds like a hideous breach of privacy laws to me.

Secondly it's *******s, since you're absolutely right, your household license covers you and you owe them nothing whatsoever.
Reply 5
I think it's a requirement of a company selling TVs, video recorders and a couple of other bits and bobs to inform the TV licensing people. It's a bit sly of Dixons not to mention it though.
The TV licensing people started harassing my parents a while back, saying they needed more TV licenses because the Post Office system showed about 5 houses where there were two. After my parents left that house they got a letter telling them they needed a new licence and they'd be taken to court if they didn't.
Not bad considering they live in Beijing now..
Reply 6
squeak
hahaha I love things like that...

As for the TV licence people, what bellends! I can't believe they're giving you ****! they could just carry out a bit more of a check to save themselves the hassle of writing letters, and how rude that they are perving in your shopping basket.

Also...which TV is it, recently got a 46 inch LCD sony bravia 1080p V series, it's so so sexy. Assassins creed on PS3 on good tv is amazing.

lol I'm playing that right now actually!:biggrin: picture in picture, so this web page is in a tiny box in teh corner of my screen.. It's a 50" samsung, 1080p but I don't have a dvi cable for the ps3 so could probably look a bit better.. Wow, I'm off work, playing computer games eating pizza. I need to get out more.

But yeah, I don't know if its just me being a bit anal but i'm sorta annoyed they can see what I've bought like that, and then bug me without checking 5 minutes worth of details :mad: fair enough if dixons are obliged to hand over this information, but 1) they don't say they're going to do this and 2) when you're giving them 2 grand, the last you expect is for you to get harrassed about your purchase afterwards.. would it have hurt to have a declaration to tick or something when buying?
Reply 7
You have to give your address when you buy it then all those are given to ths Licencing people. Just ignor it, we get **** loads of similar letters at uni, but each room dosnt have its own arial socket so it must cost them loads for a pointless exercise really.
Reply 8
CurlyBen
I think it's a requirement of a company selling TVs, video recorders and a couple of other bits and bobs to inform the TV licensing people. It's a bit sly of Dixons not to mention it though.

Yeah, you're quite right - they are obliged to ask. They'll usually cover it up to a certain degree, make it out like it has something to do with the warranty or what have you.

It's very sly indeed. You, of course, are under no obligation to provide them with the correct details - so feel free to write a bunch of bull**** down.
Reply 9
jaw

#
Ohhh we could report them to the DDA thats terrible!
And i really agree with what your saying!
at least you have a licence!
Reply 10
L i b
Yeah, you're quite right - they are obliged to ask. They'll usually cover it up to a certain degree, make it out like it has something to do with the warranty or what have you.

It's very sly indeed. You, of course, are under no obligation to provide them with the correct details - so feel free to write a bunch of bull**** down.

:laugh: I wanted it to turn up at my house! delivery is the only details I gave, they made no reference to all this tv licence crap 2bh! Someone I was talking to, bought a pocket dvr /player, and had a similar letter sent to her funnily enough..
Reply 11
Zoecb
Thta's outrageous. Firstly, why do Dixons have the right to tell people your address? Sounds like a hideous breach of privacy laws to me.

As Lib said, they are actually legally obliged to pass your address on to TV licensing. So in fact they have no right to not tell TV licensing your address,

Zoecb

Secondly it's *******s, since you're absolutely right, your household license covers you and you owe them nothing whatsoever.

Indeed. Solution: letter -> bin. Absolutely no need to waste your time doing anything. If you're lucky they'll take you to court and you'll get some nice compensation for them wasting your time as it'll be immediately obvious you already have a license.
Reply 12
Psyk
Indeed. Solution: letter -> bin. Absolutely no need to waste your time doing anything. If you're lucky they'll take you to court and you'll get some nice compensation for them wasting your time as it'll be immediately obvious you already have a license.

Wouldn't it be fun to have TV Licensing declared a vexatious litigant?

I'm not even sure that concept exists over here, but it's what American TV programmes would do.

Latest

Trending

Trending