Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me why this balancing equation isnt 2MnO4^2- + 4H^+ ➡️2MnO4^- + MnO2 + 2H2O. I think its something to do with the charges on the manganese and oxygen compounds but i dont know why.
    Attachment 730566
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theA-Levelflop)
    Can someone please explain to me why this balancing equation isnt 2MnO4^2- + 4H^+ ➡️2MnO4^- + MnO2 + 2H2O. I think its something to do with the charges on the manganese and oxygen compounds but i dont know why.
    Do you know what the actual answer is? Because it looks right to me. I would probably have just put a 1 before the MnO2 molecule (just so that it doesn't look like it's been left blank) - the charges and numbers of atoms look perfectly balanced to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mupsman2312)
    Do you know what the actual answer is? Because it looks right to me. I would probably have just put a 1 before the MnO2 molecule (just so that it doesn't look like it's been left blank) - the charges and numbers of atoms look perfectly balanced to me...
    The answer in the attachment is the answer that's given in the mark scheme but I don't see what is wrong with the way I said in the thread starter.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the oxygen is balanced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariejuana)
    I don't think the oxygen is balanced
    It's balanced both ways

ReputationRep:
    The answer in the attachment is the answer that's given in the mark scheme but I don't see what is wrong with the way I said in the thread starter.
    Look at the Mn atoms in your answer - you've gone from 2 to 3. You've also gone from 8 to 12 O atoms.

So, basically, you've increased by 1 Mn and and 4 O atoms from left to right; that means that you need one extra MnO4^2- ion on the LHS to balance the equation fully.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the Mn atoms in your answer - you've gone from 2 to 3. You've also gone from 8 to 12 O atoms.

So, basically, you've increased by 1 Mn and and 4 O atoms from left to right; that means that you need one extra MnO4^2- ion on the LHS to balance the equation fully.
    I've just realised why its the answer in the attachment. In the thread starter, the overall charge on the LHS is 0 and -2 on the RHS but in the attachment, the charge on both sides is -2.
    Plus you're right about the Mn but thats just a typo.

ReputationRep:
    Work out the oxidation states of all of the Mn atoms, they also need to balance.

If there is a change in O.S.s there must be the gain of loss of e-.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thea-levelflop)
    can someone please explain to me why this balancing equation isnt 2mno4^2- + 4h^+ ➡️2mno4^- + mno2 + 2h2o. I think its something to do with the charges on the manganese and oxygen compounds but i dont know why.
    Attachment 730566
    algebra to the rescue
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The equation is

3 MnO4^2- + 4H+ -> 2MnO4^- + MnO2 + 2H2O
    just like you said
    the charges are perfectly balanced in the question . But the stochiometry coefficient wasn't. The equation looked puzzling at first like a brainteaser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dip0)
    The equation is

3 MnO4^2- + 4H+ -> 2MnO4^- + MnO2 + 2H2O
    just like you said
    the charges are perfectly balanced in the question . But the stochiometry coefficient wasn't. The equation looked puzzling at first like a brainteaser.
    Yes, my mistake - I was talking about the answer in the attachment (I didn't realise that this was the mark scheme). I probably should have read the full original post before replying...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.