The Student Room Group

Transition metal colours....conflicting info : (

Hi,

I'm trying to learn the equations for the transition metal reactions for A-level chem but I'm getting frustrated with redox reactions because one book has very little info on them and the other says Fe3+ is pale yellow at first then later says it is orange-brown in the redox reaction.

The book is also confusing when talking about the redox reactions

It gives colours for each half-equation so looking at the Fe redox reaction the book says:
Fe2+ --> Fe3+
pale green --> orange brown
MnO4- --> Mn2+
purple --> colourless

It then gives the overall eq and says the overall colour change is purple --> colourless.
I can understand it being Purple at the start since apparently, the purple is so dark it masks the colour of the Fe2+
but surely the final colour would be orange-brown since the Mn2+ colour won't mask the Fe3+??

I'm fine with the other reactions but it is just the redox ones, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me clear and accurate colour changes for each redox reaction or a link to somewhere that does. I can't seem to find it on chemguide or machemguy.

This is what I need to know from the spec:
Redox reactions
(k) redox reactions and accompanying colour
changes for:
(i) interconversions between Fe2+ and Fe3+
(ii) interconversions between Cr3+ and Cr2O72–
(iii) reduction of Cu2+ to Cu and disproportionation of Cu+ to Cu2+ and Cu

Fe2+ can be oxidised with H+/MnO4– and Fe3+ reduced with I–,
Cr3+ can be oxidised with H2O2/ OH– and Cr2O72– reduced with Zn/H+, Cu2+ can be reduced with I–. In aqueous conditions, Cu+ readily disproportionates.

Thank you!
Original post by djels013.211
Hi,

I'm trying to learn the equations for the transition metal reactions for A-level chem but I'm getting frustrated with redox reactions because one book has very little info on them and the other says Fe3+ is pale yellow at first then later says it is orange-brown in the redox reaction.

The book is also confusing when talking about the redox reactions

It gives colours for each half-equation so looking at the Fe redox reaction the book says:
Fe2+ --> Fe3+
pale green --> orange brown
MnO4- --> Mn2+
purple --> colourless

It then gives the overall eq and says the overall colour change is purple --> colourless.
I can understand it being Purple at the start since apparently, the purple is so dark it masks the colour of the Fe2+
but surely the final colour would be orange-brown since the Mn2+ colour won't mask the Fe3+??

I'm fine with the other reactions but it is just the redox ones, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me clear and accurate colour changes for each redox reaction or a link to somewhere that does. I can't seem to find it on chemguide or machemguy.

This is what I need to know from the spec:
Redox reactions
(k) redox reactions and accompanying colour
changes for:
(i) interconversions between Fe2+ and Fe3+
(ii) interconversions between Cr3+ and Cr2O72–
(iii) reduction of Cu2+ to Cu and disproportionation of Cu+ to Cu2+ and Cu

Fe2+ can be oxidised with H+/MnO4– and Fe3+ reduced with I–,
Cr3+ can be oxidised with H2O2/ OH– and Cr2O72– reduced with Zn/H+, Cu2+ can be reduced with I–. In aqueous conditions, Cu+ readily disproportionates.

Thank you!

Mn2+(aq) is very pale pink, so much so that at most normal dilutions it appears colourless
iron(III)(aq) is light yellow in aqueous solutions and once again appears almost colourless at usual dilutions.

Quick Reply

Latest