The Student Room Group

Model agency scam

(This is not a question, just didn’t know where else to post it)

GURL!
If you are approached by anyone who represents ‘silverline models’ DO NOT BE FOOLED! I had someone add me on Facebook called ‘Jody Louise’ who CLAIMED to be a representative and a scout for ‘Silverline’. There was me thinking ‘omg I’m a model, don’t touch me, don’t even look at me’.

So, after chatting to Jody, (who by the way was rude as HECK and extremely blunt) she told me she found me through my StarNow profile (which I had just set up that morning) so part of me was like okkkkk... this is a bit soon) but the other part of me was like BRING IT TO THE RUNWAY RUNRUNRUNRUNWAY!!

She asked me to look at their website which looked legit, however there were no talent profiles available to view because the site was under construction, she also asked me to send my portfolio pictures to an email address she gave me, which I did. (They were the same photos available on my StarNow profile so she could’ve just found them on there but whatev).

Then about 3 hours later she messaged me again saying that she had a shoot in Swansea (I’m Gloucestershire based so that’s not 1 million miles away for me) I was like YAS GURL GIMMIE DIS JOB! But i still wanted to be cautious as I’ve never really done this kind of thing before... SO I was like girl you’re gunna have to give me more deets.

She explained that it was a payed job and it was £1100 (to which i was like pppp peanut butter) but I would have to pay £500 for costume and accommodation.......

I then explained that I had friends and family in Swansea and that I could just stay with them to which she replied ‘no, all talent stays in me place’ which got me thinking this was some kinda HUNGER GAMES!

So I was like girlfriend... r u sure about urself? Ur gunna need me to send me a contract because this is not lookin’ cute.

She refused to send me a contract and said I either needed to get someone to visit their NY offices to check they weren’t some kinda homeless ***** trolls.

And by this point I was like HEEEELLL NAAAAWWW! so I googled them and found a few other forums where people were talking about being scammed in similar ways by other modelling agencies.

SO JUST TO WARN Y’ALL!

Don’t accept any messages or friend requests from this hoe. She a thirsty Rigga-Morris beetch!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone asking about one models they are a scam that black guy addey that takes your Booking will try charge you whatever he feels like in my case it was over 900 sterling 😂😂. Lucky I didn’t fall for there scam and sign there payment plan please stay away a real ageny want you not your money SCAMMERS the Irish girl Laura is in on the scam
If you are reading this thread is because you may be thinking of applying to one models. I used to work for One Models we would get 15 leads a day to call we will tell you that you have potential in doing modelling we will then tell you to pay a deposit to come in for a audition with the promise that if you pass the auditon you will be signed up with us. everyone literally passes doesn't matter if you are ugly fat etc. then if you are told you have been successful you will be asked to purchase a portfolio which will advance your modelling career this should raise flags as any reputable agency will invest in your portfolio for you as they believe you have the potential. companies like that distance themselves from the studio but they are both linked and are essentially the same company. don't be fooled I have worked there. if you believe you can do modelling apply for storm, select don't go for these portfolio companies
I just received a message from Diana and she sent me the contract and everything. But I’m bit going with it. Nope
Is Star-Now good? I was considering making a profile for it.
Hey guys, I recently submitted a photo to a site called UK Models and two days later I received a call from a worker there telling me that they liked my photo and that they wanted to give me a free photo shoot at one of their studios in London in order to A: build me a portfolio, B: see whether I was cut out for modelling and C: see what kind of modelling I would be suited for. The guy on the phone came across as incredibly nice, although of course that could have been an act, and he sent me a few emails laying out the details of the free shoot. The following are a few excerpts from the email they sent me:

"Our studios have offered us a limited number of 4 hour photo shoots for applicants that are serious about breaking into the modelling industry. On the day you will have 3-4 hair and makeup changes to see how versatile your look is. You will have indoor and outdoor location shoots (depending on the weather) to see how you perform in a professional environment, as well as in front of the public."

"If you are successful on the day and our team feel that you have modelling potential and believe that you could go out and get paid work, you will be invited to have a consultation with one of our image consultants. They will go through all of your photos and help you work out which area/s of modelling you should pursue. If you wish to take the next step, we will then look at building you a suitable portfolio. A portfolio is your visual C.V. and will be tailored to your chosen area/s of modelling and your budget . We will then give you direction as to which agencies to forward your images onto and ideally, in a matter of 3-4 weeks you should be signed up to an agency and getting some work coming in. All of our packages include advice and guidance about agencies, contracts, & castings, etc."

"As you have been shortlisted, we cover the cost of the photo shoot for you. This will include a personal makeup artist, a hairstylist and a professional fashion photographer for that day, as well as the cost of studio hire. The portfolio service is only offered if you are successful."

"We will send you a confirmation pack through post once the appointment has been confirmed with yourself and the studio, containing a letter giving you your appointment date and time, a full written receipt of the booking deposit and a directions/map to the studios. You will also receive a confirmation email as soon as your booking is confirmed.

Once you have read this email, please call me on 0207 135 2076 to book your appointment. Please note: anyone under the age of 22 will need to attend with a parent."

I never thought in my life that I would fall for such a scam, and I feel incredibly angry with both myself for being stupid and angry at this company for being so evil. My subsequent research into the matter has left me convinced that this must be a scam, as the way that this business has operated does not seem in accordance with how modelling agencies are supposed to work. I will be cancelling my shoot and I am sad to lose £50 for nothing, but these b*stards will not get another penny from me. I urge all who read this who are interested in advancing into the modelling industry to BE CYNICAL AND BE CAUTIOUS. Look at how these things are supposed to run before you get suckered like me.
Further update. I am now 100% convinced that this is a scam. Professional portfolios are not needed when entering the modelling industry. Agencies are actually more happy with decent quality amateur images that can be submitted directly to the agency- or you can just walk in off the street in many cases. Any company that offers you a portfolio but isn't actually an agency IS A SCAM. Any company that asks for a booking deposit for a photo shoot IS A SCAM. You might think- "well, if the 50 quid is refunded, why not go and see if the photos from the shoot are good anyway"- DON'T! They will try to pressure sell you images and it will be very uncomfortable.

If you are trying to break into the modelling industry, make sure the first step you take is with a reputable AGENCY. Not some photo studio that has no sway in the modelling industry. If you want to go and buy professional pics from a photographer to have some sort of an edge- fine, but just go to a reputable photographer, not one that claims to be a stepping stone to the modelling agency. And make sure that before the shoot, the cost of photos is made clear up front so that you can decide whether you think photos will be worth that much. The charges that the scammers will take are extortionate amounts of money for a few bloody photos.
This documentary was on another thread about this matter. Please watch this if you were in my situation, it is very clear about how underground and shady this whole scam is. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04h14pc/player
Lord I have truly been saved if I did not read the comments about this place me and my mum would have went and lost my money don’t believe them o they are fake AF and please don’t think cause I’m a kid I don’t know what I’m saying I’m doing my A levels this year and I think I know what I’m saying yesterday they called my mum and she put it on speaker for me . Me that did drama for gcse I know when someone is acting or not and they were way to nice so straight away I told my mum to give my card details cause I only had about £2 in their and after my mum ended the call I picked my phone up called the bank and told them to cancel my card and told them what was going on and they said I would get a new card . Now back to these scammers from what I read they have changed their name multiple times . The thing is they send you a starter pack saying welcome and how some famous UK fashion model will help you FAMOUS MY ASS this lady is nothing she isn’t famous at all they just really want you to come. Who asks for a deposit for you to take a photo don’t always believe what you read online and definitely don’t judge their welcome packet they send you by its cover hope you all benifited from this Good Bye
I think there was a similar thread a few months back to do with model agencies. You might be able to ask them for help?
Thankyou I just read this I also put my doughters photo on UK model that same email is the very same word for word but it told me £100 was needed up front and have to go to Manchester I seen an ad on Facebook sounded a bit sus so I googled it an found this I will not be going further with this so glad I read this before I gave money 😐
Hi I’m so happy people are seen my tread I am still so angry over what one models done to me and my daughter she gave up her dream job over them anyone thinking of going to ONE MODELS (DONT ). They will take your money for a load of **** pictures I could take better myself and it’s horrible in a dirty park with fellas drinking it’s not a place you want to go to they are *****SCAMMERS **** I’m so happy I’m able to save some people from been scammed xx
I got Appointment of 17.7.2018 from The Fashion Lounge Devonshire Place Mews LONDON W1G 6DD . firstly they called me and asked me to pay 50pound but later they ask me to pay 100pounds which is refundable because I am student therefore, they also said to bring 6 type of clothing style . Is it real model agency? Assist me whether I have to go on my appointment date or not.need your assistance
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sarahjane. Ob
Hi I’m so happy people are seen my tread I am still so angry over what one models done to me and my daughter she gave up her dream job over them anyone thinking of going to ONE MODELS (DONT ). They will take your money for a load of **** pictures I could take better myself and it’s horrible in a dirty park with fellas drinking it’s not a place you want to go to they are *****SCAMMERS **** I’m so happy I’m able to save some people from been scammed xx

I got Appointment of 17.7.2018 from The Fashion Lounge Devonshire Place Mews LONDON W1G 6DD . firstly they called me and asked me to pay 50pound but later they ask me to pay 100pounds which is refundable because I am student therefore, they also said to bring 6 type of clothing style . Is it real model agency? Assist me whether I have to go on my appointment date or not.need your assistance
Original post by Melkorath
Hey guys, I recently submitted a photo to a site called UK Models and two days later I received a call from a worker there telling me that they liked my photo and that they wanted to give me a free photo shoot at one of their studios in London in order to A: build me a portfolio, B: see whether I was cut out for modelling and C: see what kind of modelling I would be suited for. The guy on the phone came across as incredibly nice, although of course that could have been an act, and he sent me a few emails laying out the details of the free shoot. The following are a few excerpts from the email they sent me:

"Our studios have offered us a limited number of 4 hour photo shoots for applicants that are serious about breaking into the modelling industry. On the day you will have 3-4 hair and makeup changes to see how versatile your look is. You will have indoor and outdoor location shoots (depending on the weather) to see how you perform in a professional environment, as well as in front of the public."

"If you are successful on the day and our team feel that you have modelling potential and believe that you could go out and get paid work, you will be invited to have a consultation with one of our image consultants. They will go through all of your photos and help you work out which area/s of modelling you should pursue. If you wish to take the next step, we will then look at building you a suitable portfolio. A portfolio is your visual C.V. and will be tailored to your chosen area/s of modelling and your budget . We will then give you direction as to which agencies to forward your images onto and ideally, in a matter of 3-4 weeks you should be signed up to an agency and getting some work coming in. All of our packages include advice and guidance about agencies, contracts, & castings, etc."

"As you have been shortlisted, we cover the cost of the photo shoot for you. This will include a personal makeup artist, a hairstylist and a professional fashion photographer for that day, as well as the cost of studio hire. The portfolio service is only offered if you are successful."

"We will send you a confirmation pack through post once the appointment has been confirmed with yourself and the studio, containing a letter giving you your appointment date and time, a full written receipt of the booking deposit and a directions/map to the studios. You will also receive a confirmation email as soon as your booking is confirmed.

Once you have read this email, please call me on 0207 135 2076 to book your appointment. Please note: anyone under the age of 22 will need to attend with a parent."

I never thought in my life that I would fall for such a scam, and I feel incredibly angry with both myself for being stupid and angry at this company for being so evil. My subsequent research into the matter has left me convinced that this must be a scam, as the way that this business has operated does not seem in accordance with how modelling agencies are supposed to work. I will be cancelling my shoot and I am sad to lose £50 for nothing, but these b*stards will not get another penny from me. I urge all who read this who are interested in advancing into the modelling industry to BE CYNICAL AND BE CAUTIOUS. Look at how these things are supposed to run before you get suckered like me.

Sounds like a scam it’s the same thing one models asked my daughter to do you see wasting your time and they will want money for pics which you won’t get any work from the six outfits and then the deposit ring and cancel if I were you I would try get your refund tell them you can’t make it if it it’s definitely a scam
Original post by Bharti ank

I think you should bring someone with you who understands the law and what they will see. I think you should book a face to face appointment to ask all questions as well.
Do not go it’s a scam same thing as my daughter with the outfits it’s was 50 pound deposit there probably getting less customers because people are coping on to them so they try charge you 100 don’t waste your time if I were you I would ring for your deposit back because they will want money for the pointless pictures they take you could take your self and you won’t get nothing in return they are scammers yes they sound lovely and will tell you aload of **** to get you there I flew from Ireland he actually told my daughter she should be signing a contract 😂😂 he laughed at me when I said that to him in person go to storm models or a well known one and make sure it’s the real company these scammers are robbing other companies names and when I got back to Ireland I emailed the modeling association and they said there solicitors are on to them for trade marking it’s going on years ❤️ Wish you all the best
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by username3846620
Is Star-Now good? I was considering making a profile for it.

I actually don’t know if Star now is any good I had a profile on there my daughter did but didn’t hear anything from them

Quick Reply

Latest