The Student Room Group

Modelling agency legit?

Hi guys!! I have had a call from a modelling agency called identity management and they claimed they want to do a 'test shoot' for me so they can decide whether I am successful or not. They requested that I send them some specific photos which I have and now they are asking for more photos. Is this legit? I've never modelled before so I don't know how it usually works.
Reply 1
Original post by Katherinej123
Hi guys!! I have had a call from a modelling agency called identity management and they claimed they want to do a 'test shoot' for me so they can decide whether I am successful or not. They requested that I send them some specific photos which I have and now they are asking for more photos. Is this legit? I've never modelled before so I don't know how it usually works.

it's a scam. they don't even have a proper website. they ask you for a deposit that they claim is 'refundable' (it isn't) and also charge you for photos/portfolio.
see here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6146286

a real modelling agency will never ask you for money. you can try models1, storm, img models, elite model management etc
Reply 2
Original post by KianaP
If they have asked you for any money it is 100% a scam. If they haven't it may be real, do they have a website? What photos have they asked for from you?

They haven't asked for any money they has said that they have a photoshoot which may be suitable for me and have asked me to send them more pictures
Reply 3
Original post by KianaP
What pictures have you sent them?

Pictures in underwear and in a bikini. Is this normal for a modelling job?
Reply 4
Bonkers! It’s a definite financial or sexual exploitation scam. You shouldn’t be drawn in to this
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have done some modelling post the pictures here and I'll tell you if it's normal pictures to request

Can I just send them to you?
Reply 6
Can I just send them to you?

you're not cut out for the modelling industry if you're this naive, jesus christ. it's probably a freaking dude pretending to be a girl that wants pics of you in bikini, don't send them to anyone on here
Pictures in underwear and in a bikini. Is this normal for a modelling job?

Unless it's a glamour modelling agency, they absolutely should NOT ask you for those type of pictures.

A legitimate agency should only require no more than 3 pictures. Two of the face, ( one "Mug-shot" and one of the side) and one that shows your body type. They don't have to be professional pictures, it's just so they've got an idea of what you look like.

Then, if they like the look of you, then they'll maybe call you for a test shoot (this is a legitimate part of the process, however any money paid should go to the photographer, and N OT the agency... the idea is the agency makes money off of you, so alarm bells should ring if they're asking for money up-front, as others have said.).

If you really want to get into modelling, I would suggest you go to fashion shows (e.g The Clothes Show (if it still exists lol)) where many of the big names have legitimate scouts there.

Even if you do get signed, the work is often few and far between. The reality is going to a lot of castings and getting a lot of rejections (N.B. if you're the sort of person who takes rejection and criticism personally, it's probably not for you). Realistically, unless you're lucky enough to get a big campaign, it's not something you can rely on as a full time means of employment.

Most models do other work to suppliment this. Bar work is popular with them as the hours are often flexible and there's no shortage of people who'll take your shift if you need to go for a casting... and promotions work is also big (promotions are those people you see in shopping malls, train stations, supermarkets etc. handing out freebies to people).
Reply 8
Thanks, for your reply that's really helpful. It's for swimsuit modelling. So it is normal for them to want to see the models body type?
They haven't asked for any money, they have said that they have a shoot I may be suitable for

you've got 13 pages filled with posts from people describing how they've been scammed by that particular agency and you're still planning to go? 😂
(edited 2 months ago)
Thanks, for your reply that's really helpful. It's for swimsuit modelling. So it is normal for them to want to see the models body type?
They haven't asked for any money, they have said that they have a shoot I may be suitable for

I think you're seeing what you want to see here.

Seriously, you need to listen to the other people and err on the side of caution.

Ciel has probably listed the 4 biggest model agencies in the country, so applying for them is a bit like an aspiring footballer walking up to the likes or Arsenal, Chelsea etc. and expecting to get signed (still you may get lucky, miracles do happen sometimes lol)

I'm not saying they're definitely a scam (there are a lot of legit smaller agencies than those Ciel has listed), but you need to do your research. For starters:-

1) Are they registered with Companies House?
2) IF they are, do the contact details correspond to those you have?
3) How long have they existed, and how did they get your details?
4) Have you Googled the name and looked on various modelling forums and seen what people have said about them?
5) How would they feel about you having a chaperone with you if you were to attend?
6) Do they have a physical office with an address and a landline? Have you Googled these details and do they match up?

These are just a few I can think of the top of my head. There are probably way more checks you should do to determine whether or not they are legitimate..

Without meaning to sound at all patronising (and I'm genuinely sorry if I do), there are a lot of people out there who want to exploit young naive people for their own gains.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I think you're seeing what you want to see here.

Seriously, you need to listen to the other people and err on the side of caution.

Ciel has probably listed the 4 biggest model agencies in the country, so applying for them is a bit like an aspiring footballer walking up to the likes or Arsenal, Chelsea etc. and expecting to get signed (still you may get lucky, miracles do happen sometimes lol)

I'm not saying they're definitely a scam (there are a lot of legit smaller agencies than those Ciel has listed), but you need to do your research. For starters:-

1) Are they registered with Companies House?
2) IF they are, do the contact details correspond to those you have?
3) How long have they existed, and how did they get your details?
4) Have you Googled the name and looked on various modelling forums and seen what people have said about them?
5) How would they feel about you having a chaperone with you if you were to attend?
6) Do they have a physical office with an address and a landline? Have you Googled these details and do they match up?

These are just a few I can think of the top of my head. There are probably way more checks you should do to determine whether or not they are legitimate..

Without meaning to sound at all patronising (and I'm genuinely sorry if I do), there are a lot of people out there who want to exploit young naive people for their own gains.

Yea I'm not going to get into the biggest model agencies when I'm just starting.
I guess I need to do some research, I don't know what companies house is. I've googled their name and the reviews are mixed but I don't know if that's from people no getting work after being signed up?
I will ask about a chaperone. Thanks for your advice
Yea I'm not going to get into the biggest model agencies when I'm just starting.
I guess I need to do some research, I don't know what companies house is. I've googled their name and the reviews are mixed but I don't know if that's from people no getting work after being signed up?
I will ask about a chaperone. Thanks for your advice

All legitimate British businesses should be listed under Companies House.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/companies-house
All legitimate British businesses should be listed under Companies House.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/companies-house

Thanks I'll look on there!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Upload it to imgur and post the link

I don't know what that is
Thanks I'll look on there!

I would also suggest you spend some real time doing this research.

I don't mean a quick 2 minute Google search, I mean spending a good few days (if not weeks) going through all the stuff that's been said about this company (and others). Also, look at what people recommend, and take the time to read through that link that Ciel posted in the first reply.

Please note scammers tend to pressure people in making a quick decision... so if they were legitimate, they should understand your concerns.

Also bear in mind, you're looking at this with a biased view (you want all this to be legit, and that's understandable)... get some of your friends / family to also review this with you, so you've got some impartial or neutral views / opinions on it
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi first off please don't try post your knickers/bikini pics here just because some random randy anon asks you to. Have some dignity, you seem naive (no offence).

Secondly if you are below 18 this could be illegal. I don't know your age but I'm just pointing this out.

Thirdly please research the concept of sextortion. It is basically tricking a person into sending revealing pictures (can be nudes, or semi naked like swimwear and bra and panties). Then they blackmail you for money or ask for more pictures else threaten to leak. Sometimes they will threaten you by saying they'll send to your family etc.

Please try and be safe and research this. If you've already sent photos then best not to engage with them until further notice. This can ruin lives if you play into their hands. Of course there's a small chance it's all legit but take it with a pinch of salt and do your due diligence it can save you a lot of stress and pain later 🙂
I would also suggest you spend some real time doing this research.

I don't mean a quick 2 minute Google search, I mean spending a good few days (if not weeks) going through all the stuff that's been said about this company (and others). Also, look at what people recommend, and take the time to read through that link that Ciel posted in the first reply.

Please note scammers tend to pressure people in making a quick decision... so if they were legitimate, they should understand your concerns.

Also bear in mind, you're looking at this with a biased view (you want all this to be legit, and that's understandable)... get some of your friends / family to also review this with you, so you've got some impartial or neutral views / opinions on it

Okay thanks, I will do this. I feel a bit pressured because I don't want to miss the chance but I would rush into it and I'll do some research

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending