The Student Room Group

I think I've been scammed by ''the booking team / model hunt''

I feel so dumb! I'm new to the industry and applied for an audition at the booking team / model hunt in manchester. the shoot went well! i got accepted into it. the ''advisor'' i met with was lovely but very fast and confusing. she was being very vague and seemed overly ditsy. she kind of rushed me into paying £50 for a portfolio. she made me sign a sheet which she didn't let me look at and recorded a video of me saying i was happy wiht my service and blah blah blah. i feel so stupid. has anybody had any experience with these guys? she said i was to pay another £50 deposit next month when i get paid but they haven't contacted me since. what's going on??
Original post by HELLONWHEELS
I feel so dumb! I'm new to the industry and applied for an audition at the booking team / model hunt in manchester. the shoot went well! i got accepted into it. the ''advisor'' i met with was lovely but very fast and confusing. she was being very vague and seemed overly ditsy. she kind of rushed me into paying £50 for a portfolio. she made me sign a sheet which she didn't let me look at and recorded a video of me saying i was happy wiht my service and blah blah blah. i feel so stupid. has anybody had any experience with these guys? she said i was to pay another £50 deposit next month when i get paid but they haven't contacted me since. what's going on??

It's a scam. Check out these threads here on TSR, both of which conclude that it's a scam.

Is "The Booking Team" modelling agency legit or a scam?
The booking team models
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
It's a scam. Check out these threads here on TSR, both of which conclude that it's a scam.

Is "The Booking Team" modelling agency legit or a scam?
The booking team models

they messaged me today for the second half of my payment for the pictures as we agreed two £50 payments. i'm not sure what to do??
they messaged me today for the second half of my payment for the pictures as we agreed two £50 payments. i'm not sure what to do??

You say, "we agreed two £50 payments" but that "she made me sign a sheet which she didn't let me look at". Although you weren't really able to look at it at the time, were you able to take away a copy with you? Or have they sent through a copy subsequently?

If it were me, and I didn't have a copy of what I'd signed, I'd message her back and casually ask for a copy of it. The document should detail your obligations (two payments of £50) and their obligations (take some photos?). If they'll fulfilled their end of the deal, then it gets pretty awkward for you if you refuse to pay.

You could claim that you didn't really understand what you were signing (which is why they videoed you "saying i was happy wiht my service and blah blah blah"), and if you are under 18 that could absolutely be the way to go. But I'd try to get the document first.

You might want to contact Citizens Advice and get help from an advisor (contact details here). They'll likely be familiar with the company and will know the best way of dealing with them.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
You say, "we agreed two £50 payments" but that "she made me sign a sheet which she didn't let me look at". Although you weren't really able to look at it at the time, were you able to take away a copy with you? Or have they sent through a copy subsequently?

If it were me, and I didn't have a copy of what I'd signed, I'd message her back and casually ask for a copy of it. The document should detail your obligations (two payments of £50) and their obligations (take some photos?). If they'll fulfilled their end of the deal, then it gets pretty awkward for you if you refuse to pay.

You could claim that you didn't really understand what you were signing (which is why they videoed you "saying i was happy wiht my service and blah blah blah"), and if you are under 18 that could absolutely be the way to go. But I'd try to get the document first.

You might want to contact Citizens Advice and get help from an advisor (contact details here). They'll likely be familiar with the company and will know the best way of dealing with them.

thank you for being so helpful and not laughing at my stupid ass! i have asked the woman for a contract and have had no response and wasn't given any copies or anything. i'm 20 so i'm not sure what to do haha. i will ring C.A thank you and explain. i'm not too worried, if things got problematic, i'd feel alright considering how common knowledge the scam of this stupid agency is.
thank u pal :smile:
thank you for being so helpful and not laughing at my stupid ass! i have asked the woman for a contract and have had no response and wasn't given any copies or anything. i'm 20 so i'm not sure what to do haha. i will ring C.A thank you and explain. i'm not too worried, if things got problematic, i'd feel alright considering how common knowledge the scam of this stupid agency is.
thank u pal :smile:

Fine. Until she sends you through a copy of the contract which you signed (not their blank template - the one you actually signed), you can politely decline to pay the further £50. My guess is that the contract will never arrive and they'll quietly go away.

Quick Reply

Latest