The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Portsmouth vs Southampton

Accepted into both schools for computer science. Which school has the best or safest area and which school is overall better?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
*Put on rose tinted Pompey glasses*

Which Saints Uni did you get accepted to? Southampton or Solent? I like Southampton's campus which Portsmouth lacks (per-se) as all the buildings, both residential and educational, are dotted about Old Portsmouth.

It's hard to say which is safer, both have issues. Portsmouth has Fratton which isn't great by any stretch. I mean you won't get attacked at every street corner, of course, but it's always worth keeping your wits about you. The further South you are in Portsmouth, the safer IMO. Portsmouth has many redeeming features though, Southsea as a whole has a great bar and alternative retail scene and the beach stretching from Gunwharf Quays to Eastney is beautiful - especially during the summer. Then there's Gunwharf, chances are you'll rarely shop here as it's all brand-name clothing and accessories so it's super-expensive. Yet there's Tiger Tiger, lots of restaurants which overlook the harbour and of course the infamous Spinnaker Tower. There are fewer places I love to chill out than at Gunwharf.

Southampton has more of a typical city feel to it but the harbour is less to look at as it's generally more industrialised, nurtured by the fact Southampton does more trade than Portsmouth. I believe the nightlife is marginally better in Southampton too, the Pompey one can get a big over-zealous on Guildhall Walk so if you're female, just keep an eye out - then again, this goes for everywhere and anywhere.

Southampton's shopping scene is all hoisted together in one on Above Bar Street which also has the Marlands. There's another, recently-built place not too far but can't remember the name.

No idea what the Uni is like but I think it's generally on the same level as Portsmouth (probably a touch better to be honest).

You'll have good and bad experiences at both, just visit both Cities and see which takes your fancy!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending