The Student Room Group

DECISION: Southampton vs Manchester vs Birmingam - ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONIC

Hello all,

UCAS deadline looming, still haven't made my final decision for which to firm.

Currently it's looking like:
Firm: Southampton vs Manchester (both AAA)
Insurance: Birmingham (AAB)

Calling all people who have made a choice between any of the 3 listed unis, how did you make your decision? What factors did you find influenced your decision?

A few of my thouhts:
- really impressed by equipment on offer at Southampton
- accommodation at Southampton seems better but I haven't seen Manny's in person, so any info about theirs appreciated
- I like Manchester's blended learning lecture theater
- Manchester seems like the more exciting place to live: I want to get out now and then but I don't want to be too distracted by nightlife.

Distance from home isn't a big issue but Southampton is closest so that's a (small) bonus.

Feel free to ask questions I can try to give more details.

Thanks in advance!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by groggles
Hello all,

UCAS deadline looming, still haven't made my final decision for which to firm.

Currently it's looking like:
Firm: Southampton vs Manchester (both AAA)
Insurance: Birmingham (AAB)

Calling all people who have made a choice between any of the 3 listed unis, how did you make your decision? What factors did you find influenced your decision?

A few of my thouhts:
- really impressed by equipment on offer at Southampton
- accommodation at Southampton seems better but I haven't seen Manny's in person, so any info about theirs appreciated
- I like Manchester's blended learning lecture theater
- Manchester seems like the more exciting place to live: I want to get out now and then but I don't want to be too distracted by nightlife.

Distance from home isn't a big issue but Southampton is closest so that's a (small) bonus.

Feel free to ask questions I can try to give more details.

Thanks in advance!

Hi! I chose Southampton as my firm , so hopefully I can help answer some questions
When choosing i based it off a few factors : course, location, things to do (location wasn’t that big of a deal to me)
I chose Southampton as it done the course I wanted the most in terms of specifics (civil with architecture ) whereas my others were just civil , or civil and structural. I was set on civil and architecture so I knew I’d end up choosing that . What course structure do you like the most ?
I know Southampton has a reputable engineering department which is another reason why I chose it.
Finally, I liked how it was a big city and small town so I could get the best of both. When I visited it didn’t feel like I’d left home lol , sort of felt like I went on a day trip . Weirdly enough it sort of reminded me of home but just a bit different ? I think all of these combined solidified my reason for choosing it as I was a bit torn after hearing back from each of them if I made the right decision lol
How important is nightlife to you? I know Manchester is a big city so that would help with that
What course is better for you at Manchester or Southampton ?
Hope that helps !

Quick Reply

Latest