The Student Room Group

Out of all the universities that have been listed, which are more Muslim friendly?

Out of all the universities that have been listed, which are more Muslim friendly?
City London
Loughborough
Royal Holloway
Southampton
Portsmouth
Original post by Anonymous #1
City London
Loughborough
Royal Holloway
Southampton
Portsmouth

Hi there

Most Universities in the UK are very diverse and most will have a range of religions, age, race, gender etc.
When I was researching Universities, I found looking at their social medias was useful in learning more about the environment.

Especially, I would recommend looking a the Universities' societies. You could check if there any societies that interest you, and if there are any Muslim societies.

Alternatively, you may also look at Universities' open days.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
It's a good idea to attend open days to get a feel for how diverse the campus and faculty might be.

The Student Union website will also list relevant societies. You can get in touch with them and ask them about their experiences.
City London
Loughborough
Royal Holloway
Southampton
Portsmouth

Hey!

As a student ambassador at the University of Southampton, I am pleased to share insights into the welcoming and inclusive environment that our university strives to provide for all students, including those from diverse cultural and religious backgrounds.

The University of Southampton is committed to fostering an atmosphere of respect, understanding, and support for individuals of various faiths, including the Muslim community. Here are some aspects that highlight the Muslim-friendly environment at our university:

Diverse Community: Southampton boasts a diverse student body, including a significant number of international students and individuals from various cultural and religious backgrounds. This diversity enriches our campus environment and contributes to a spirit of inclusivity.

Prayer Facilities: The University of Southampton provides prayer facilities on campus to accommodate the religious needs of our students. These spaces are designed to offer a quiet and comfortable environment for prayer and reflection.

Cultural and Religious Societies: Our university is home to several cultural and religious societies, including those specifically focused on Islamic culture and practices. These student-led groups organize events, activities, and support networks that contribute to the sense of community on campus.

Halal Food Options: The campus offers a variety of dining options, including halal food choices, ensuring that students can adhere to their dietary preferences and religious practices.

Support Services: The university provides support services that cater to the well-being of all students. Our Student Services team is dedicated to assisting individuals with any concerns or challenges they may face during their academic journey.

While each university on your list likely strives to create an inclusive environment, I am confident that the University of Southampton's commitment to diversity and support services makes it a welcoming place for Muslim students.
If you have any specific questions or would like more detailed information, please feel free to reach out.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Hi there,

At Royal Holloway, we want to establish a diverse community where everyone succeeds, is included, and feels that they belong! Royal Holloway is a multi-faith community, with many different beliefs represented on campus and excellent cooperation between faiths both on campus and in the local community.

The numerous on-campus faith groups include the RHUL Islamic Society (ISoc), who arrange five daily Muslim prayers and classes. ISoc also maintain the University's Prayer Room, which offers prayer and ablution facilities for men and women. We also have various societies for example the Middle Eastern and North African MENA Society who put on events such as MENA movie nights, shisha nights, cuisine nights, Dabake sessions, game nights as well as annual MENA ball.

There are several food outlets on campus with Halal provision; simply look for the letter ‘H’ next to meat meals in The Hub, Crosslands, Founder’s Dining Hall, KW’s and Union Shop.

Royal Holloway has close links with the Islamic Welfare Association of West Surrey, which was formed in 1986, to serve the Muslim community in and around Royal Holloway University of London.

You can find out more about student life at Royal Holloway here: https://royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/

I hope this helps!

Royal Holloway, University of London Rep
Original post by UoS PG students
Hey!

As a student ambassador at the University of Southampton, I am pleased to share insights into the welcoming and inclusive environment that our university strives to provide for all students, including those from diverse cultural and religious backgrounds.

The University of Southampton is committed to fostering an atmosphere of respect, understanding, and support for individuals of various faiths, including the Muslim community. Here are some aspects that highlight the Muslim-friendly environment at our university:

Diverse Community: Southampton boasts a diverse student body, including a significant number of international students and individuals from various cultural and religious backgrounds. This diversity enriches our campus environment and contributes to a spirit of inclusivity.

Prayer Facilities: The University of Southampton provides prayer facilities on campus to accommodate the religious needs of our students. These spaces are designed to offer a quiet and comfortable environment for prayer and reflection.

Cultural and Religious Societies: Our university is home to several cultural and religious societies, including those specifically focused on Islamic culture and practices. These student-led groups organize events, activities, and support networks that contribute to the sense of community on campus.

Halal Food Options: The campus offers a variety of dining options, including halal food choices, ensuring that students can adhere to their dietary preferences and religious practices.

Support Services: The university provides support services that cater to the well-being of all students. Our Student Services team is dedicated to assisting individuals with any concerns or challenges they may face during their academic journey.

While each university on your list likely strives to create an inclusive environment, I am confident that the University of Southampton's commitment to diversity and support services makes it a welcoming place for Muslim students.
If you have any specific questions or would like more detailed information, please feel free to reach out.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi there,

At Royal Holloway, we want to establish a diverse community where everyone succeeds, is included, and feels that they belong! Royal Holloway is a multi-faith community, with many different beliefs represented on campus and excellent cooperation between faiths both on campus and in the local community.

The numerous on-campus faith groups include the RHUL Islamic Society (ISoc), who arrange five daily Muslim prayers and classes. ISoc also maintain the University's Prayer Room, which offers prayer and ablution facilities for men and women. We also have various societies for example the Middle Eastern and North African MENA Society who put on events such as MENA movie nights, shisha nights, cuisine nights, Dabake sessions, game nights as well as annual MENA ball.

There are several food outlets on campus with Halal provision; simply look for the letter ‘H’ next to meat meals in The Hub, Crosslands, Founder’s Dining Hall, KW’s and Union Shop.

Royal Holloway has close links with the Islamic Welfare Association of West Surrey, which was formed in 1986, to serve the Muslim community in and around Royal Holloway University of London.

You can find out more about student life at Royal Holloway here: https://royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/

I hope this helps!

Do either of your universities offer rescheduling of deadlines/exams if they coincide with religious holidays or fasting?
City London
Loughborough
Royal Holloway
Southampton
Portsmouth

Hi there,

I would recommend taking a look at our Centre for Faith and Spirituality page here and also taking a look at the societies we offer at Loughborough here. We offer lots of different societies which is a great way to meet people!

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions please do ask

Alex
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 7
Hey! I go to portsmouth uni and as someone who's not a student ambassador, I wont be biased. Theres a decent amount of muslim students here and the campus in general is fairly diverse so you won't feel out of place. I've seen quite a few halal restaurants around and I know theres a mosque about 20-30 minutes walk from the main campus if you care about that. There's also a islamic society you can join.

I don't go to london university but as I've lived there my whole life I can say that london is an extremely diverse city so for inclusivity, it's probably the safest choice with being muslim friendly. East london especially has a large muslim population and I think you might enjoy Ilford quite a lot, it's not big city lights central but theres a lot of muslim owned business there.
Hi there,

If you have an opportunity to visit us, please do. We have some open days coming up where you can visit and get a feel for our university.

We welcome everyone. In March we host a Global Week, which is our annual celebration of global culture and international diversity at the University of Portsmouth and within our beautiful City.

Feel free to ask further questions and you can find more, here: https://www.port.ac.uk/news-events-and-blogs/events/global-week
Hi there,

We acknowledge that in some years the main examination period overlaps (at least partially) with Ramadan. We recommend contacting our Muslim chaplain at [email protected] to find out more about our policy.

Feel free to chat with one of our students here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/chat/ if you have any other questions.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending