The Student Room Group

show (x^2 – x + 2) is positive for all values of x???

Attachment not found

can someone pls help me with both these question?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by apaul322

can someone pls help me with both these question?

Can't see the attachment, but in order to show that your quadratic is +ve you should complete the square. You should end up with something of the form

(x-1/2)^2 + (some +ve number)

Clearly, the first term is always +ve and the second term is always +ve. Together they give something that's always +ve
Well for starters try to find the stationary points of that equation by doing dy/dx then doing dy/dx=0. The x-value(s) for that will be the points on the curve where there are stationary points, just sub the x value into the normal equation to find y. Then when you get a stationary point. (There is only one on this question.) Try to find if it is a minimum or maximum point by doing d^2y/dx^2. Put the x-value for the stationary point into that and see if it is less than 0 or more than 0. (Could be equal as well.) If it is more than zero then it is a minimum point. This means it is the lowest y-value on the curve and it is over 0 so therefore the equation can only be positive for all values of x.

Also the attachment does not work.
Original post by RDKGames
Can't see the attachment, but in order to show that your quadratic is +ve you should complete the square. You should end up with something of the form

Clearly, the first term is always +ve and the second term is always +ve. Together they give something that's always +ve

Oh wow I totally forgot this method! (Would my method work at all? Just checking since it is rather long and may confuse the op.)
Reply 4

Thank u soo much i understand it now...can you also help me with another question...Given that y = (x^2 + 2)e^–2x
show that dy/dx < 0 for all values of x.
Original post by monkeyman0121
Oh wow I totally forgot this method! (Would my method work at all? Just checking since it is rather long and may confuse the op.)

Strictly speaking, no because all you're doing is getting a stationary point and showing whether it is a max or a min. Without any more information, this is not sufficient to convince someone that this equation always spits out +ve values.
Thank u soo much i understand it now...can you also help me with another question...Given that y = (x^2 + 2)e^–2x
show that dy/dx < 0 for all values of x.

What did you get for dy/dx? You want to essentially factor out a -1 entirely and show that everything inside the brackets is always +ve. This way, you will be taking the -ve of something that's always -ve, hence ending up with something that's always -ve.
Reply 7
What did you get for dy/dx? You want to essentially factor out a -1 entirely and show that everything inside the brackets is always +ve. This way, you will be taking the -ve of something that's always -ve, hence ending up with something that's always -ve.

i got e^-2x(2x-2x^2-4) for dy/dx but i dont know where to go from here
i got e^-2x(2x-2x^2-4) for dy/dx but i dont know where to go from here

What do you know about e2xe^{-2x}??

Equally, what can you show about 2x2x242x-2x^2-4 ? [HINT: You can rewrite this so that it has a factor of x2x+2x^2-x+2]
Reply 9
What do you know about e2xe^{-2x}??

Equally, what can you show about 2x2x242x-2x^2-4 ? [HINT: You can rewrite this so that it has a factor of x2x+2x^2-x+2][/Qi

i took the negative 2 from outside the box but i didnt get what it meant by show that dy/dx < 0 for all values of x.

i took the negative 2 from outside the box but i didnt get what it meant by show that dy/dx < 0 for all values of x.

You have to show that your result is always -ve, that's what the question wants from you.
Reply 11
You have to show that your result is always -ve, that's what the question wants from you.

how do u show that?
how do u show that?

The expression is (-2)e^(-2x)(x^2-x+2). Now, -2 is negative, e^(-2x) is always positive since e to any power is positive, and you just proved that x^2-x+2 is always positive. Thus dy/dx is always negative * positive * positive = negative.
Reply 13
Original post by Prasiortle
The expression is (-2)e^(-2x)(x^2-x+2). Now, -2 is negative, e^(-2x) is always positive since e to any power is positive, and you just proved that x^2-x+2 is always positive. Thus dy/dx is always negative * positive * positive = negative.

i understand it now...thankk youu soo muchh

Quick Reply

Latest