The Student Room Group

Thermal physics

i get really stuck with questions that are about a hot liquid being placed on a beaker with a lower temperature. what i dont understand is what it means for the 2 to be in thermal equilibrium.
Reply 1
Thermal equilibrium just means they are at the same temperature. So the final temperature of the substances is the same. Just remember that the energy lost by the hotter substance is negative when calculating the final temperature
Original post by sdfsdd
i get really stuck with questions that are about a hot liquid being placed on a beaker with a lower temperature. what i dont understand is what it means for the 2 to be in thermal equilibrium.

A thermal equilibrium means theat the heat of the hot liquid flows to the liquid with lower temperature. That goes on till the two liquids have the same temperature (equilibrium).

In other words: it comes to a mix temperature. It is like you fill a tub with hot water first and cold one after that to get the comfortable temperature to bath.
Original post by Kallisto
A thermal equilibrium means theat the heat of the hot liquid flows to the liquid with lower temperature. That goes on till the two liquids have the same temperature (equilibrium).

In other words: it comes to a mix temperature. It is like you fill a tub with hot water first and cold one after that to get the comfortable temperature to bath.

thank you so much that really helps. i have another question if you dont mind me asking. if i have the pressure, temperature and volume of a gas in a cylinder i can work out the number of moles. if im given the temperature and pressure, when the cylinder is at a higher altitude, and the cylinder is then opened to let the gas escape. how can i work out the mass of gas remaining. i know i can work out the volume, i just dont know what to do after that.
Original post by sdfsdd
thank you so much that really helps. i have another question if you dont mind me asking. if i have the pressure, temperature and volume of a gas in a cylinder i can work out the number of moles. if im given the temperature and pressure, when the cylinder is at a higher altitude, and the cylinder is then opened to let the gas escape. how can i work out the mass of gas remaining. i know i can work out the volume, i just dont know what to do after that.

As far as I understand, first of all what you have to do is to determine the number of moles for both escaped gas (in volume) and gas in the cylinder. The escaped gas can be calculated by this:

escaped gas = volume at the beginning - volume after escaping gas

If you got the number of moles for both, you can deterine the mass for escaped gas and gas in the volume.

The calculation is mass = number of moles x Molar mass (works only, if the molecules of the gases are known)

Now you can work out the mass of gas remaining by calculating the difference between mass of gas in volume and mas of escaped gas.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest