The Student Room Group

Aeronautical & Aerospace Engineering

Hi guys.I'm curious to know about the scope of Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering.I have seen from some sources that global aviation sector is doing pretty bad and this trend may continue or something like that.
I'm , however,curious to know about the scopes of Aeronautics and Aerospace Engineering.Would anyone please explain me the merits and demerits and whether it is worth it in the long term?
Original post by Anlasan
Hi guys.I'm curious to know about the scope of Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering.I have seen from some sources that global aviation sector is doing pretty bad and this trend may continue or something like that.
I'm , however,curious to know about the scopes of Aeronautics and Aerospace Engineering.Would anyone please explain me the merits and demerits and whether it is worth it in the long term?

Different universities will cover different aspects of Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering - they don't all follow a common "template" for what the course will contain. If you visit the web site of any universities in which you might be interested in applying, and look-up their Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering course, it will contain a list of the mandatory and optional modules which they will cover in each year. That this the scope as that particular university sees it. You may even find specific modules covering "the future of the aviation centre", or similar.
Original post by Anlasan

It will cover the underlying physics of aeronautics & astronautics.

So fluid mechanics (you will heavily focus on a sub-set of this: aerodynamics)
Thermodynamics (this is important in many areas but it is particularly noteworthy in propulsion systems where aircraft engines use heat cycles to convert chemical energy (fuel) into mechanical force for propulsion).
Thermofluids- the combination of thermal-fluid systems.
Other key areas Kinematics, stress, design, avionics (electrical & control systems).

Is it worth it - well it will give you opportunities to work in aerospace industries (civil aviation, energy, defence related…). You can also work in other areas more associated with mechanical engineering or totally move industry (aerospace is well respected as engineers ultimately are skilled analytical problem solvers).

Is it worth it? Personal decision- depends what your goals are. If you hate maths or technology & want to work on engagement & relationship driven work it’s probably not the right path.

Quick Reply

Latest