The Student Room Group

Part (a), you have a table of probabilities

Score 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prob 1/6 1/6 1/6 1/6 1/6 1/6

Work out the mean and variance from this table3.

Part (b), apply the central limit theorem to Sˉ\bar{S}: you know that it is approximately normally distributed with mean = ? and variance = ? You can work out both ?'s from part (a).
Reply 2
Original post by Gregorius
Part (a), you have a table of probabilities

Score 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prob 1/6 1/6 1/6 1/6 1/6 1/6

Work out the mean and variance from this table3.

Part (b), apply the central limit theorem to Sˉ\bar{S}: you know that it is approximately normally distributed with mean = ? and variance = ? You can work out both ?'s from part (a).

Thank you for your reply, I did as you described for a, got mean correct but a for the variance using unbiased estimate formula, but i got 3.5 again? I don understand why the unbiased estimate formula doesn't work maybe I'm doing it wrong, i used n=6?

For b) I think I understand now, so because we dont know that its normally distributed thats why we have to put the variance over 40?
Original post by examstudy
Thank you for your reply, I did as you described for a, got mean correct but a for the variance using unbiased estimate formula, but i got 3.5 again? I don understand why the unbiased estimate formula doesn't work maybe I'm doing it wrong, i used n=6?

Perhaps the question is a little misleading (in introducing the sample of 40 straight away), but you're not estimating anything from a sample here! You don't want the unbiased estimator formula, you are calculating the variance of S, from its known probability distribution. So you want the formula

16i=16(i3.5)2 \displaystyle \frac{1}{6} \sum_{i = 1}^{6} (i - 3.5)^2

For b) I think I understand now, so because we dont know that its normally distributed thats why we have to put the variance over 40?

No, the central limit theorem tells you that Sˉ\bar{S} is approximately normally distributed with the same mean as S and with variance Var(S)/40.
Reply 4
Perhaps the question is a little misleading (in introducing the sample of 40 straight away), but you're not estimating anything from a sample here! You don't want the unbiased estimator formula, you are calculating the variance of S, from its known probability distribution. So you want the formula

No, the central limit theorem tells you that Sˉ\bar{S} is approximately normally distributed with the same mean as S and with variance Var(S)/40.

Of course! Sorry I completely forgot, the unbiased estimate formula will not work because this is not a sample, we are working with the whole population as such.
so n=40? and is the second part of the question about a sample then? cause 40 is the total amount its rolled but "n= size of the sample"
Thank you, I really appreciate you giving me your time and answering!
Reply 5

Could you also help me with Q 8, why is it binomial?
Could you also help me with Q 8, why is it binomial?

A single confidence interval either does, or does not, contain mu, with probability 0.9. So whether or not a single confidence interval contains mu is a Bernoulli random variable with probability of success 0.9. What’s the distribution of the sum of four Bernoulli random variables?
Reply 7
A single confidence interval either does, or does not, contain mu, with probability 0.9. So whether or not a single confidence interval contains mu is a Bernoulli random variable with probability of success 0.9. What’s the distribution of the sum of four Bernoulli random variables?

Thank you, I don't really follow? Sorry I wasn't specific, for c, I dont understand why you use a binomial how you know to?
Thank you, I don't really follow? Sorry I wasn't specific, for c, I dont understand why you use a binomial how you know to?

The distribution of the number of confidence intervals containing mu, out of the four, will be binomial. Whether each confidence interval contains mu is bernoulli with probability 0.9, therefore the distribution of the number of confidence intervals put of the four that contain mu will be binomial with parameters 4 and 0.9.
Reply 9
The distribution of the number of confidence intervals containing mu, out of the four, will be binomial. Whether each confidence interval contains mu is bernoulli with probability 0.9, therefore the distribution of the number of confidence intervals put of the four that contain mu will be binomial with parameters 4 and 0.9.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest