The Student Room Group

Repeating a school year?

Does anyone know the rules about repeating a school year? Even if you’re not aware of the rules in Scotland specifically, I could really use some advice.

I’m 17 and in S6 but I haven’t regularly been to school since I was in S3, before the first covid lockdown. I’ve missed all that school time because of my mental health, not being able to cope with education with the place I was in and not being able to leave my house to go to school. I’m also autistic, which I only found out when I started struggling with my mental health.

For the past year, I’ve been doing N4 English and Maths. I chose National 4s since you don’t have to do exams to achieve them, so at least I could leave school with a couple qualifications. In S3 though, I was well on my way to Nat 5s and I would’ve done them the next year. Since doing Nat 5s has been almost drilled into me since the start of secondary school, I really don’t want to leave without at least having done N5 English and Maths.

I’ve also established a routine this past year and I really don’t want to lose that yet because with being autistic, that’s very likely to throw me off and possibly make me spiral back to a not so great place again. I really don’t feel ready to leave school at all either, since I’ve missed 2 full years. I feel like I’ve had a really unfair disadvantage compared to my peers. Everyone keeps telling me there’s other options and I don’t have to get National 5s, which I know and I’ve browsed literally all other options, but I really feel like I need another year of secondary school before I go “into the world”, I guess. I’ve done some research on repeating a year and I haven’t talked to my school about it but my parents are telling me I can’t repeat.

I guess talking to my school would be a start. If I bring up how I feel like I’ve been disadvantaged and how I’d really benefit from the stability of keeping my routine for another year, those are compelling points, right? I’m also wondering what the rules are about repeating S6 and being 18. I did see something that said if you’re not 18 by the start of the school year then you could repeat. Since the school year starts in August and my birthday is in September I’d fit that criteria. Again, I don’t know if that’s true and I’ve struggled to find anything about repeating or other options for people in a situation like mine.

Also, if anyone knows any other ways to do National 5s (that don’t involve paying £400 to a college or uni😳) or like any programs or maybe resources for autistic people who are near the end of school, please let me know.
Reply 1
My son is in a similar position and I would also like to know if the Nat 5 year can be repeated in a Scottish state school if the person doesn't do very well? My son was placed in the wrong school year by the state system and forced to start school at 4, just about 6 months out of nappies, when he should have been eligible to defer due to a late Feb birthday. Every time I tried to raise this with his primary school I was fobbed off and dismissed. He has struggled all the way through and now fears he will not pass the Nat 5 exams. If anyone has the answer to this please share as this would be really helpful!
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending