The Student Room Group

Edexcel Medicine History Q5 - Worrying

Am I the only one that argued that there was generally quite a large amount of change in the ideas of the causes?

I said that individuals helped to improve the understanding of the body as well as encourage the scientific method, which helped to improve the notes that people had on causes as people started to make links between the symptoms and the causes and what made the disease worse.

I also mentioned how the better technology, like the printing press, helped to spread these new ideas around the world, showing that more people than ever could have access to the ideas about causes, which could be what caused fewer people to believe in the supernatural causes of disease. I then mentioned how the church had a larger control over society in 1250 but even this didn't fully limit the changing theories about the cause of disease as things like the Crusades helped to bring back new ideas about causes from different cultures.

In the conclusion, I mentioned how the plagues show the change because even though some people still believed that God caused disease, this was less common as people had begun to make the link between dirt and disease.
No that's fine. It says 'how far do you agree', so you could completely disagree with the given statement. Overall your answer seems strong and will probably get marks for being unique, as most will have supported the argument.
Original post by riyad101010
No that's fine. It says 'how far do you agree', so you could completely disagree with the given statement. Overall your answer seems strong and will probably get marks for being unique, as most will have supported the argument.

It was just that all of the textbooks and sheets that I have said there was continuity and barely mentioned any change. so I was just a bit worried that I made up my points.
Original post by Goldfish4343
It was just that all of the textbooks and sheets that I have said there was continuity and barely mentioned any change. so I was just a bit worried that I made up my points.

Nah it should be fine as you are allowed to argue the point. And there was some change in the period such as the printing press, microscope etc which you mentioned. I think you did fine, don't stress it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest